News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Graveyard carz Daytona ***NEW PICTURES ADDED*** 4 UNCLE FESTER

Started by moparstuart, December 07, 2012, 12:42:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

r4daytona

Well, the car is not being done for free. I wish it was.  lol  I'm not at liberty to say what it's costing, thats part of my agreement with Mark, I will say though that I am VERY happy with the cost and what he is going to do to restore it versus what other shops charge for a similar restoration.  There is no one around here with his knowledge and I would expect to pay twice as much at another shop doing basically the same thing.  Now I know many with think that last sentence is a point of debate as to other shops that are better/worse/more expensive or cheaper.  I know there are many other shops out there all I'm saying is I am very happy with Marks knowledge and skill and the price I am paying.  And I am not going to knock any other shops.  I just wish people would get his humor (which they seem to be) and simply enjoy and support a guy thats trying to build a funny, knowledgeable show about mopars.  I talked alot with him this weekend and one of the things I mentioned that people would like to see more of is what why he does certain things the way he does. For example: when he cleans the taillights with Miriatic acid, what is the solution mixture OR what product and process does he do to re-dye interior pieces so the dye sticks.  Those were decent positive suggestions that I think you'll see more of that.  Dane, you know you are welcome to his shop anytime.  I'm sure the guys would love to see your hemi. I know I'd like to see it when I'm up the next time.

nvrbdn

i have to say that watching the third show now, it is definately turning around. much more car time. the 71 turned out awesome. im in for the long haul. :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

moparstuart

Quote from: nvrbdn on January 23, 2013, 10:07:13 AM
i have to say that watching the third show now, it is definately turning around. much more car time. the 71 turned out awesome. im in for the long haul. :2thumbs:
and how about that guy with the shop full of E bodies   :drool5: :drool5:  oh and the coronet R/T too  :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:    I loved them racing the Mopar Hot wheels on the vintage track .  I'm sure some will whine about that but i love the big toys and the little toys too .   :Twocents:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

nvrbdn

the hot wheels track was pretty cool. the tree was really neat. havent seen that one before.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

r4daytona

That guys other cars makes me jealous. Pretty cool.  I got rid of my Hot Wheels track but still have the cars and my johnny lightning set.  You're right Stu someone will complain that the angle of the track was wrong or his wrenches are facing east when in a proper shop they should be facing west!  Surprised to see no one complained about the discission of the blaster since that wasn't a car.  :lol:  Well, for those getting that the humor and ball busting are just that- humor- hope you continue to enjoy the show.  They should be doing some work on my car in the next couple episodes. Not sure which ones and not sure what they will be doing but I think he said that they are doing stuff in about 4 or 5 episodes.

hotrod98

I need a blasting cabinet like that. I just made a big mess sanding two fenders and two doors for my drag cuda that I'm building. Now I have to clean up my mess. No mess with the blasting cabinet to clean up  ;D

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

r4daytona

cool clip from velocity http://velocity.discovery.com/tv-shows/velocity-presents/videos/replacing-panels.htm     there is also a very cool one about factory markings on the suspension of the 71

moparstuart

Ricomondo

Looking forward to following this one! :2thumbs:
1970 Mr. Norm's Challenger T/A

wingcarenvy

I am a fan of GYC. I realize its not for everyone but I do take it for what its worth. I see it as a chance to watch Mopar restoration (no 2 tone or big wheels thank god) on TV. Funny thing about this Daytona is that I tried to buy it from Muscle Car Finders and in the middle of negotiations someone bought it. I bet it was you. Anyways no hard feelings and I am very thankful that this Daytona is getting the treatment it so richly deserves. Good luck my DVR is already set!

moparstuart

r4daytona

wingcarenvy, yes that was me that bought it. Glad there's no hard feelings. Actually I was talking with the guy for a week trying to figure out how to buy it since I only had half the money, so I finally went to the bank and applied for a loan. I knew the bank guy so I figured it wouldn't be a problem. So I went to the bank on a Weds. morning and told the guy at Musclecarfinders I would let him know at the end of the day. I got the ok about 3:30 that day and called MCF back to say I could buy it and he told me that someone else called an HOUR earlier and was sending a deposit. I was pissed!! partially because someone else got it but more so because he didn't say to the guy(maybe it was you) "ok, well let me just give this other guy a call that has been trying to work this out"  I understand the whole "first money gets it"  but I had been trying so hard to work this out.  Anyway, they called the following Monday and said that it didn't work out because of something with the buyer having a new baby? Something like that I think?  Anyway, it all worked out and they were very decent to deal with.  So was that you that beat me to the punch that day?  If we ever meet up at a show, I'll be glad to give you the keys and let you take it for a drive. Tom   I just got lucky getting the car and finding these guys to do my car.(even though some will disagree) What they are doing in two years would have taken me 10 ... and it still wouldn't be done as nice.

hemi68charger

Another interesting and funny show last night. Man Tom, they got into your car pretty good but let that deck lid slam !!! Glad no one's fingers were in there.... It'll be interesting to see how they go about with the markings on the various components and hope they replace the yellow marking on the differential housing......  Progress.........  :2thumbs:

Since they have Mike's 'Bird and your 'Tona, they can come and get my 500.. Then, they'll have a aero-triology........  :o
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

TruckDriver

This is really aggravating that I can't see the show anywhere  :brickwall:
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

r4daytona

Troy, I've done that myself with the deck lid. At least I still have my fingers.  There was only one spring rod attached. It was interesting seeing them take the car apart.  Most of it was already! I had that car so stuffed with parts and sheetmetal wrapped to the roof and hood. Glad you're finding the show somewhat humorous.  Thats what it's meant to be.  Looking forward to meeting you and many of the other guys when I get my car back and can make some shows. I'm learning alot from you guys.

hemi68charger

Quote from: r4daytona on January 30, 2013, 11:03:54 AM
... I'm learning alot from you guys.

Awesome... Depending on the level of restoration you're wishing to accomplish, I hope Mark's open to "a learnin'" as well... Geno's and John's restoration threads are GREAT reference information. If he, Mark, doesn't have it, email the threads...... Also, not sure you've owned a Daytona before, but be very leary of that wing when it's open and you're getting something out, it'll BITE you in the back of the head...  :brickwall:

Believe me, I know...  :icon_smile_big:
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

cdr

Quote from: hemi68charger on January 30, 2013, 11:29:22 AM
Quote from: r4daytona on January 30, 2013, 11:03:54 AM
... I'm learning alot from you guys.

Awesome... Depending on the level of restoration you're wishing to accomplish, I hope Mark's open to "a learnin'" as well... Geno's and John's restoration threads are GREAT reference information. If he, Mark, doesn't have it, email the threads...... Also, not sure you've owned a Daytona before, but be very leary of that wing when it's open and you're getting something out, it'll BITE you in the back of the head...  :brickwall:

Believe me, I know...  :icon_smile_big:

yeah but that is good pain  :yesnod:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

r4daytona

Despite his ego which I joke with him about, Mark is humble and willing to learn.  I did tell him about Gene's thread but don't know how to mail it to him.  We did get Dave Patiks reference books and consultation service. As far as the level of restoration goes, I thought about this for a bit and because the car started out so rough with so much missing it really isn't worth trying to get an "OE" restoration.  For one, I can't afford that and I really don't plan on having it judged in some big show. I simply wanted one since I was a kid, found one that most guys would pass on but it was what I could afford and just got lucky that I found a Mopar guy to restore it on TV.  Like I mentioned before, I'm very happy with the price and getting a level of quality that I could not have come close to by having my local shop do it.  So will Mark miss a few things? .. perhaps...does it bother me?.. no  ... Will the "armchair" restoration guys ridicule and pick it apart.. yes    Do I care .. no   I will check out Johns thread also.  Anything we can to do/learn get this as close as possible to factory, without having me take a mortage is something we'll try to do. He and I have leraned alot already.

hemi68charger

Quote from: r4daytona on January 30, 2013, 01:14:52 PM
...  Do I care .. no   I will check out Johns thread also.  Anything we can to do/learn get this as close as possible to factory, without having me take a mortage is something we'll try to do. He and I have leraned alot already.

Hey Bud,
Didn't mean he couldn't or you wanted it OEM-correct, just whatever detail you did want it was known about. A lot of times some of the "detail" items are free or at minimal cost. Regarding Geno's and John's thread, it is purely for reference. I like you, don't have countless greenbacks to sink into any form of restoration and I want the car to be driven-friendly ( hence the gearvendor I have in it )..... Anything you two may want, just ask...

To get the thread(s) over to him, just copy the url address in the url window into an email to him, press send.. Done...... :)
Troy

41husk

I have used Genos thread as a reference for my clone.  To much great info to just let slide.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

moparstuart

Quote from: r4daytona on January 30, 2013, 01:14:52 PM
Despite his ego which I joke with him about, Mark is humble and willing to learn.  I did tell him about Gene's thread but don't know how to mail it to him.  We did get Dave Patiks reference books and consultation service. As far as the level of restoration goes, I thought about this for a bit and because the car started out so rough with so much missing it really isn't worth trying to get an "OE" restoration.  For one, I can't afford that and I really don't plan on having it judged in some big show. I simply wanted one since I was a kid, found one that most guys would pass on but it was what I could afford and just got lucky that I found a Mopar guy to restore it on TV.  Like I mentioned before, I'm very happy with the price and getting a level of quality that I could not have come close to by having my local shop do it.  So will Mark miss a few things? .. perhaps...does it bother me?.. no  ... Will the "armchair" restoration guys ridicule and pick it apart.. yes    Do I care .. no   I will check out Johns thread also.  Anything we can to do/learn get this as close as possible to factory, without having me take a mortage is something we'll try to do. He and I have leraned alot already.
I can send the link to the threads to mark for you , Tom .   I will get it done . 

Mopar Nut

This post and show about the Daytona project is making me want one or a clone.  :drool5:
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

r4daytona

Troy, Stuart and to the other guys whom I don't know your name yet .. thanks for the info and support. I have read several pages of Genes thread, in fact I think I used the pictures of how the fenders should look as a reference for Mark. I tried searching for Johns thread but didn't know what it was called. I'm learning more each day about these cars and Mark is doing his research also.  I wish it was possible for you guys who know your stuff about these cars to go to Marks shop and point out every detail the way it should be. I know he and i would appreciate it and it would be cool for the show.  Better yet, lets have a Mopar show at his shop !!  I know he'd put that on the show.  I'll buy the pizza and beer.  I know I may seem a bit edgy or defensive when it comes to Mark shop and the show, and perhaps I'm wrong with this thinking, but when guys knock the way he does something, thats kind of knocking the shop and the way my car is going to turn out, but yet none of these people have been to the shop and seen the work. I don't knock other peoples cars or shops. Then people complain about 6 minutes of a wedding or 10 minutes of paintball ... I'm glad to take that along with the 30 minutes of mopar stuff.  People keep complaining and maybe the show can be replaced with Fords or Chevy's.  Those are nice cars, but I'm partial to Mopars.  Mark is always open to suggestions for improvement, as you see this year is an improvement of last.  By the way, I actually thought it was kind of funny that Royal nailed Mark with the paintballs.  :lol: