News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

C500 Vinyl Top Hardware and Trim

Started by 5hunert, December 07, 2012, 04:02:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5hunert

I'm trying to approximate where or when my C500 grew it's vinyl top.  I'm curious if anyone else has hardware like this for their vinyl top.  I've traced things as far as an owner in the late 1970's - at that time the top was described as very tired with rust bubbling up under it.  From what I can tell, the car was sold new and spent its life in Washington State.  The top was removed before I ever saw the car, but the 1978 owner described the top as "some goofy floral pattern."  I found a very small shard under some trim that looked like a hounds tooth pattern.

Does anyone have any input on age or origin based on the hardware?

JB400

Congradulations, you have (possibly if it was a factory top) what they call the Mod top.  Mod top cars had a floral pattern to them.  Very rare, if it is a factory top.  How about a pic of the remnants of the vinyl top itself.

charger_fan_4ever

Welcome aboard  :cheers:

Now you can't tease us with just a window shot of your C500. We want more pics!!!!! :)

5hunert

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on December 07, 2012, 04:04:51 PM
Congratulations, you have (possibly if it was a factory top) what they call the Mod top.  Mod top cars had a floral pattern to them.  Very rare, if it is a factory top.  How about a pic of the remnants of the vinyl top itself.

Not sure if it was a Mod Top or what.  Here's all that remains of the top - I found it under the A Pillar trim (it has standard A pillar trim; the C500 A pillar trim was probably chucked in the trash when the vinyl top went on).  From what little is left, it looks like it was light-colored background with a recurring black pattern.  It looks kinda like the hounds tooth pattern used in upscale cloth interiors. I've never seen a mod top up close to see what the base pattern is like. 

I'm open for other's interpretation. 

69_500

Definitely not the mod top pattern. Seems quit a few of the C500's had vinyl tops added by dealerships. I would have to check my list but I can think of 7 such cars off the top of my head.

5hunert

Quote from: 69_500 on December 07, 2012, 05:58:18 PM
Definitely not the mod top pattern. Seems quit a few of the C500's had vinyl tops added by dealerships. I would have to check my list but I can think of 7 such cars off the top of my head.

Is there a way to find out what their hardware/trim looks like?  I'm looking to see if there are commonalities with other Daytona/C500 trim by original geography or other factors.

5hunert

Quote from: charger_fan_4ever on December 07, 2012, 04:15:42 PM

Now you can't tease us with just a window shot of your C500. We want more pics!!!!! :)
Here's a couple of pics and the car's history as I've been able to trace it so far:

Built F8 Green, 440 Auto, 4:10 Dana.
Very early in its live it gained a vinyl top, bright orange paint, and a host of speed goodies including a Holly 3Bbl and oval track style breathers.  Was then extensively street raced.
By 1978 it was just another thrashed out muscle car.  Run hard an put away wet with 49k miles, the valve stem seals and nylon timing gear teeth had migrated to the oil sump pickup.  Ran like crap, burned lots of oil, low oil pressure and finally refused to start due to a melted-down aftermarket electronic ignition.  A second orange repaint had faded and was flaking off. The vinyl top was tired with rust bubbling up underneath. The license tabs expired. A guy paid $300 for it, planning to fix it up someday.  He got as far as tearing off the vinyl top and sanding off 25% of the paint before loosing interest (but refusing to sell it to anyone).  Sat in his backyard, then a barn till last May when I was fortunate enough to pick it up. 

Because of all the old 70's equipment is still there, I'm considering taking it to "Day 2." But I need to know more about the origin of the vinyl top.  If anyone has a C500 or Daytona with a vinyl top, I'd love to see pics of the hardware and trim.

Highbanked Hauler

I worked at a dealership in the early 70'S and vinyl tops were a hot seller. It was common to see a half dozen used cars in the service department for vinyl  tops and the guy came in with a roll of vinyl material and that molding that you have came in a roll and they had a spray gun that would load on the glue,then put the top on and unroll the molding to where it was going ,put the clips on and snap  the molding in place. I'd guess it took about 15 to 20 minutes to do a car.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

hawkeye

my 74 camaro has a very similar style clip.  it is white plastic and has a groove top and bottom that the trim sets in.  they slide into a metal pedestal with a round head. i assume the pedastals were somehow welded to the body at the factory.

WINGIN IT

Definitely looks like a more houndstooth type pattern. I know Ford had a few of those patterns.
And as noted, the dealers installed all sorts of after market tops during that era ( anything to sell a car) .

This is the green floral "mod top" for Dodge on my Dart.
It's the original and a bit faded , but you get the idea.

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: hawkeye on December 09, 2012, 02:48:25 PM
my 74 camaro has a very similar style clip.  it is white plastic and has a groove top and bottom that the trim sets in.  they slide into a metal pedestal with a round head. i assume the pedastals were somehow welded to the body at the factory.

Original factory trim had studs with a mushroom top spot welded to the body and that plastic clip slid over it, everybody used them for years.. Aftermarket, bodyshops, trim shops used aluminum rivets which would break at about the right pressure to not crush the plastic clip and the molding snapped over it .. The plastic clips looks like GM. stuff.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

tan top

Quote from: 5hunert on December 09, 2012, 12:33:40 PM
Welcome aboard  :cheers:

Here's a couple of pics and the car's history as I've been able to trace it so far:

Very early in its live it gained a vinyl top, bright orange paint, and a host of speed goodies including a Holly 3Bbl and oval track style breathers.  Was then extensively street raced.
By 1978 it was just another thrashed out muscle car.  Run hard an put away wet with 49k miles, the valve stem seals and nylon timing gear teeth had migrated to the oil sump pickup.  Ran like crap, burned lots of oil, low oil pressure and finally refused to start due to a melted-down aftermarket electronic ignition.  A second orange repaint had faded and was flaking off. The vinyl top was tired with rust bubbling up underneath. The license tabs expired. A guy paid $300 for it, planning to fix it up someday.  He got as far as tearing off the vinyl top and sanding off 25% of the paint before loosing interest (but refusing to sell it to anyone).  Sat in his backyard, then a barn till last May when I was fortunate enough to pick it up.  

Because of all the old 70's equipment is still there, I'm considering taking it to "Day 2." But I need to know more about the origin of the vinyl top.  If anyone has a C500 or Daytona with a vinyl top, I'd love to see pics of the hardware and trim.

hello & welcome  :popcrn: looks a awesome project  :drool5: :coolgleamA:, what color it going back to original green ? , looking forward to seeing more pictures & up dates as you progress  :cheers: :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

69_500

Both of the 500's my dad had when I was a kid had dealer installed vinyl tops. I have pics of those as well as a handful of other ones with I too.

A383Wing

that chrome trim looks exactly like the "dealer" or "aftermarket vendor" installed trim that came on the 66 Charger vinyl top cars. I do remember the little "nail pins" attached to the sail panel sides. The plastic pieces just slid off the nail heads

Bryan

5hunert

Quote from: 69_500 on December 09, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
Both of the 500's my dad had when I was a kid had dealer installed vinyl tops. I have pics of those as well as a handful of other ones with I too.

Cool, I'd love to see your pics.

5hunert

Quote from: tan top on December 09, 2012, 06:17:47 PM

Very early in its live it gained a vinyl top, bright orange paint, and a host of speed goodies including a Holly 3Bbl and oval track style breathers.  Was then extensively street raced.
By 1978 it was just another thrashed out muscle car.  Run hard an put away wet with 49k miles, the valve stem seals and nylon timing gear teeth had migrated to the oil sump pickup.  Ran like crap, burned lots of oil, low oil pressure and finally refused to start due to a melted-down aftermarket electronic ignition.  A second orange repaint had faded and was flaking off. The vinyl top was tired with rust bubbling up underneath. The license tabs expired. A guy paid $300 for it, planning to fix it up someday.  He got as far as tearing off the vinyl top and sanding off 25% of the paint before loosing interest (but refusing to sell it to anyone).  Sat in his backyard, then a barn till last May when I was fortunate enough to pick it up.  

Because of all the old 70's equipment is still there, I'm considering taking it to "Day 2." But I need to know more about the origin of the vinyl top.  If anyone has a C500 or Daytona with a vinyl top, I'd love to see pics of the hardware and trim.

hello & welcome  :popcrn: looks a awesome project  :drool5: :coolgleamA:, what color it going back to original green ? , looking forward to seeing more pictures & up dates as you progress  :cheers: :popcrn:

Thanks!  Not sure of color, F8 is correct for Day 1, and Day 2 is orange. When it got painted orange in the early 70's I don't think they knew how many 69 Chargers would someday be painted orange... 

A383Wing

Do not put an "01" on the side   :smilielol:

Bryan

5hunert

charger_fan_4ever

Very early in its live it gained a vinyl top, bright orange paint, and a host of speed goodies including a Holly 3Bbl and oval track style breathers.  Was then extensively street raced.
By 1978 it was just another thrashed out muscle car.  Run hard an put away wet with 49k miles, the valve stem seals and nylon timing gear teeth had migrated to the oil sump pickup.  Ran like crap, burned lots of oil, low oil pressure and finally refused to start due to a melted-down aftermarket electronic ignition.  A second orange repaint had faded and was flaking off. The vinyl top was tired with rust bubbling up underneath. The license tabs expired. A guy paid $300 for it, planning to fix it up someday.  He got as far as tearing off the vinyl top and sanding off 25% of the paint before loosing interest (but refusing to sell it to anyone).  Sat in his backyard, then a barn till last May when I was fortunate enough to pick it up. 

Because of all the old 70's equipment is still there, I'm considering taking it to "Day 2." But I need to know more about the origin of the vinyl top.  If anyone has a C500 or Daytona with a vinyl top, I'd love to see pics of the hardware and trim.

Cool story and car. Original drivetrain too ?
Curious how did you find out about the car ?

tan top

Quote from: 5hunert on December 09, 2012, 11:55:11 PM
Quote from: tan top on December 09, 2012, 06:17:47 PM

Thanks!  Not sure of color, F8 is correct for Day 1, and Day 2 is orange. When it got painted orange in the early 70's I don't think they knew how many 69 Chargers would someday be painted orange... 

:cheers:
  orange with a black  vinyl  top would be a awesome color combo :yesnod: 
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Montreal Wing Car

Looks more like red than orange, but gives a good idea of the look!

Ben

5hunert

Quote from: charger_fan_4ever on December 10, 2012, 03:46:41 PM

Cool story and car. Original drivetrain too ?
Curious how did you find out about the car ?

Yes, its got the numbers on the eng. and trans still in it.  I had to have the engine bored out due to rust in one cylinder.  

Its a long story of how I found out about it. The car is from my hometown, across the state from where I live now. About four years ago, a bartender and customer in a small bar back there were talking, and somehow my name came up in conversation (musta been an interesting conversation!).  Turns out, they were both old friends of mine, but didn't know I was a mutual friend.  I hadn't known the whereabouts of one of them for over 20 years.  Through the other friend we were able to reconnect.  She had the Charger in her barn, and when circumstances called for her to sell it, she gave me first shot.  In a nutshell, I'm one fortunate son of a gun.

5hunert

Quote from: Montreal Wing Car on December 10, 2012, 04:22:13 PM
Looks more like red than orange, but gives a good idea of the look!

Ben

Cool!  I love it.

moparstuart

Hemi daytona

more pictures in this thread            http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,73364.0.html 
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

EMF

My car has the same plastic clips and metal rivets in body. Metal trim and location on roof looks identical. Former owner stated that dealer installed  vinyl top on car when new..  

5hunert

Quote from: EMF on December 10, 2012, 05:22:10 PM
My car has the same plastic clips and metal rivets in body. Metal trim and location on roof looks identical. Former owner stated that dealer installed  vinyl top on car when new..  

What part of the country was it in?

EMF

5hunert

Thanks to the above pics I think for now I'll do a "Day 2" and eventually put the vinyl top back on.  Gen 2 Chargers just look right with a vinyl top, even fastbacks. The trim cleaned up really well and I was able to find replacement trim clips at the local parts store.  I figure until I'm ready to paint it the safest place to keep it on on the car.