News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Converting Coronet Fenders...

Started by Lighthorseman, August 26, 2013, 12:35:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lighthorseman

Well, I have achieved a small milestone of sorts in my quest to create my own "Birdible" with the acquisition of a driver's side Coronet fender.  It appears to be in really good shape, with mostly just surface rust on the backside, and looks to be quite complete.  The fender is still wearing its orange paint on the outside, and still has the undercoating on the inside.

As can be expected for a 44 year old piece, however, there are issues.  There's a small dent right by the front, and a couple of scratches deep enough to dent the metal just above the wheelwell opening.  On top of that, of course, it will have to be trimmed to become a "Superbird" fender.  I would like to strip it right to the metal, fix the dents and scratches, trim what has to be trimmed, then store it until I have gathered the rest of my Bird pieces.

Here's what I was wondering...

- Firstly, has there been a thread about cleaning, repairing and converting Coronet fenders?
- Secondly, would I be better off to wait until I have TWO fenders, or is it okay to do this one at a time?
- If the original paint is stripped off, is there a primer-like product that will stop any new surface rust from showing up?  I am working on the assumption that it is still going to take at least a couple of years to get everything I need, and put it all together.
- Thirdly, would I be best advised to simply take it to a body shop and have it blasted?

Anything else anyone can think of?    ...I do have pictures, if anyone would like.

Lighthorseman

What the heck.  Might as well post pictures.

Here's an overall view...

Here's the inside...

And the inside front.

Lighthorseman

The fender does have a small rust hole behind the wheelwell opening...

Here is the dent at the front...

...and the scratches above the wheelwell opening.

Old Moparz

I can't offer you any info on the conversion but I had a pair of fenders stripped by "dipping" them. The place I used several years ago is now gone but there are other companies that perform the same task. My fenders had a heavy coat of undercoating & I wanted nothing to do with blasting or stripping them myself.

Here is a link to the topic I posted with before & after photos......
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,60027.0.html

Redi-Strip is still around & had several locations. Maybe one is near you?   :shruggy:
http://www.redistripco.com/
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

hotrod98

You need the Superbird fender extensions in order to know the contour of the part that you will be joining. I make templates using 3/4" angle iron.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams