News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Daytona Strud Rod Hardware Finishes

Started by 69hemidaytona, January 10, 2016, 07:53:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

69hemidaytona

What sort of finish did the original strut rod bushing retainer nuts and inner sleeves come with? Also what was the finish on the strut rod attaching nut on the rear of the strut rod ? Thanks.

FJ5WING

wingless now, but still around.

69hemidaytona

I know that there are reproduction parts out there but I want to get NOS parts and I need to know what the plating finish was on original Daytonas.

69hemidaytona

Yes but these are reproduction parts. I need to know what plating was on the OEM parts originally.

hemigeno

Post from a few years ago...

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,48725.msg731172.html#msg731172

Excerpt from the thread link above:
Quote from: hemigeno on December 31, 2009, 08:34:15 AM
The nuts on the front of the K-member are 5/8x11 Hex self-locking with a (clear) Zinc finish

The nuts on the back side of the LCA are 9/16x18 flange head self-locking with a Phosphate finish

The front retainers are either brown chromate or (clear) zinc finish

The front spring pins are 1/8" dia x 1.00" long with a phosphate finish

Strut rod nut, photo courtesy of Bill Allphin, says it's "fresh out of the bag":

NOS retainers, again courtesy of Mr. Allphin:

69hemidaytona

Thank you for the reply Gene however that strut rod nut doesn't even look like the correct design. The ones I've seen look quite a bit different in shape. I see those darker bushing retainers quite often but I know there's a debate as to whether those are correct or the silver finish is correct. I'm not sure if we'll ever get a consensus on that one.

maxwellwedge

I have seen the front washer both in silver and that brown-ish color on original cars.

Chrysler engineering spec's were usually based on the properties of plating - for endurance and other criteria......the spec never spelled out the actual plating finish.....as long as the plating met the criteria. So.......the plater's could use whatever they were using at that very second.....hence the variance.

Saying that - there were parts that were pretty well always plated the same.....such as parts related to making a good electrical connection - ground etc.

hemigeno

Quote from: 69hemidaytona on January 12, 2016, 07:36:00 PM
I see those darker bushing retainers quite often but I know there's a debate as to whether those are correct or the silver finish is correct. I'm not sure if we'll ever get a consensus on that one.

If you're already aware of the two finish "options" and the debate, is there a question of what you'll use on your car then?

Quote from: 69hemidaytona on January 12, 2016, 07:36:00 PM
Thank you for the reply Gene however that strut rod nut doesn't even look like the correct design. The ones I've seen look quite a bit different in shape.

I thought your interest was in finishes of the hardware.

69hemidaytona

Yes the finish is all I was wondering about but I didn't want to rely on the finish of an improper nut being the same as the correct nut's finish. The bushing nut on your car looks pretty much like the single NOS one I have. I wanted to be sure I wasn't chasing the wrong nut by trying to match it to the NOS one I have already if the one I have is not correct. As we know NOS parts can be quite different than what was assembly line correct. I was especially interested in not making that mistake since I may have to buy a whole NOS repair kit just to get that one nut. The NOS repair kit I bought already has the inner sleeve included. That inner sleeve is a dull black color, however one of the other repair kits I was looking at buying has a silver zinc inner sleeve. I'm curious as to which one was used originally. As far as the large retainer washers go, Roger says that they should be silver. I have both NOS silver and brown available. I just want to use correct NOS parts even where they can't be seen.

maxwellwedge

Roger has plenty of evidence that most of the washers he has scrutinized during disassembly were silver. And I have found most - but not all of the ones I have eyeballed were silver. Best way to tell is the backside where the plating was preserved by the rubber bushing.

Again - It's a coin toss on that issue.....both are correct.

As far as NOS nuts and hardware - I personally would rather have the original, born with (to my car) hardware replated. Like you said - NOS does not mean correct. But - that's me.

Mopar John

Quote from: maxwellwedge on January 14, 2016, 08:40:01 AM
Roger has plenty of evidence that most of the washers he has scrutinized during disassembly were silver. And I have found most - but not all of the ones I have eyeballed were silver. Best way to tell is the backside where the plating was preserved by the rubber bushing.

Again - It's a coin toss on that issue.....both are correct.

As far as NOS nuts and hardware - I personally would rather have the original, born with (to my car) hardware replated. Like you said - NOS does not mean correct. But - that's me.
Tony,
I'm with Jim on this one!
If you can't find exact NOS hardware in good enough condition it is better to have the originals replated in the proper finish/color.
MJ