News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1968 Dodge Charger Fuel Tank Restoration

Started by RIDGERACER383, November 14, 2012, 04:42:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RIDGERACER383

Man i'm an idiot...I was trying to remove the outside ring which is the holder for the lock ring..I looked at a pic of a new one and figured it out..It came off no problem.
1968 Dodge Charger 383 4bbl / 8.75 Rear 3.55

RIDGERACER383

I got all the rust cleaned off the tank and I found a few rust pinholes on top of the tank and fixed it with jb weld after cleaning it real good..the inside of the tank looks new so that's good.I'll post a pic soon.

BananaDan

I just found this thread, but I have to throw my :Twocents: in and agree with everyone else here.  I wouldn't trust that tank if my life or my car depended on it.  The picture of the sending unit scares me the most.  I just bought everything you need to replace your tank for my own car.  It will cost you $350 plus shipping for everything you need.  Call Dante, he has everything required and he sells the Spectra tanks that everyone has recommended.

It's not worth the risk or harm to you and your car.

http://www.dantesparts.com/partsforsale.html

Be safe!
*This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.®*

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

RIDGERACER383

I finally got the tank finished.It has no leaks now and should last me till I get a new one.I didn't sandblast it because its just too hard to clean out.I did scuff off the rust and put a rust converter on it and painted it.The fuel sending unit still works and looks pretty good.I just need to fin a filter for it.My old filter was laying in the bottom of the tank.I should have it in by tomorrow if I find the filter.

RIDGERACER383

I went to Advance Auto today and bought the cheapest fuel strainer they had which was $5.00 and cut it to fit my needs.Worked out great and saved me $25.00 getting the one for it online.Its a better filter too.I put a piece of 5/16 fuel line one the end of the unit then slid the strainer and clamp over the hose and tightened it down leaving enough overhang on the strainer.Worked like a charm.

I got the tank back in my car and all the lines hooked up and put gas in the tank and had no leaks.I only need to put my second filter in before the pump and I can test it out.

Dmichels

I was on a buget when I first got my car. I had to save for 2 weeks just to buy a fuel pump I was in collage and broke. I too fixed my gas tank because at the time I could not afford the $139 for a new one. I spent hours scrapping sanding and soldering up holes (I always fill the tank with water) I discoverd that the rust spot that was not a hole this week would be a hole in a month. I plugged them with epoxy putty as they popped up. I finally repalaced the tank that summer Good job with the fix but I would plan on a new tank soon.
Dave
68 440 4 speed 4.10

RIDGERACER383

I'm getting a new tank this summer..I just needed to fix this tank so I can move the car in and out Of the garage so we can work on other stuff.It will last me till summer time.