News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Would this be possible?

Started by THE CHARGER PUNK, February 12, 2006, 09:33:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

THE CHARGER PUNK

say if you had a car with a blower,carb scoop or velocity stack stickin threw your hood,like some guys had on their chargers in the 70's,my question is could you drive it in bad weather like rain??? or would the water get in the hole for the carbs to breathe and screw up your engine?-MATT

TK73

1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

THE CHARGER PUNK

Brock Samson

a car with that stuff and supposedly making that much power as  BB would with a blower etc.. would need wide tires in back to "hook up" and such a car wouldn't really be drivable in the rain...
I wont take mine out in wet weather and im only runnin a warmed up 440... and modest rear rubber...

:drive:

terrible one

In case it hasn't been broken down enough...

A car with a lot of power like that wouldn't be safe to drive in the rain, because it would spin the tires fairly easily.

The Ghoul

youd be able to controle it if you were sain. it wouldent be fun but it could be done.
I would think sence the carbs are set a ways back in the mouth, and sence the carb intake is a bit higher than the 'floor' of the scoop; the rain would not pennatrate far enough in to accumulate enough water to hurt anything. even if you were going stupid fast.
wate a tick,
what about air filter?
are most running this set up without air filters :o
I think (if you were running a filter) the most that would happen is that your filters will become drenched and restrict air flow.
now all that being said if you live in a state that salts there roads and you think it is a good idea to get a cold air intake that puts the filter down by the road surface that can be regularly introduced to salt water spray you are in for a world of pain. the salt will actully carrode the inside of your engine... as stupid as it sounds it will happen... man, that was an odd LT1 rebuild.

KMPX2

It would have to take in alot of water at one time. Water does not compress so the eng would blow-up. It is called Hydralic lock ( more than likley misspelled).

TK73

Quote from: F8 69 CHARGER PUNK on February 12, 2006, 10:11:02 PM
trac-shun?-MATT

Spent quite a few years in the South, I believe in regular English that would translate to "traction"...
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

derailed

I have a few friends with open hood ford coupes that drive to long distance shows and have never had a problem getting caught in the rain.. As far as driveabilty I think unless you hace a spooled rearend and you can control your foot i dont see where the problem is.

Ghoste

There's a reason the factory fresh air hoods had provisions to block off and/or divert water in case of driving in inclement weather.

Charger_Fan

Quote from: Ghoste on February 13, 2006, 06:11:31 AM
There's a reason the factory fresh air hoods had provisions to block off and/or divert water in case of driving in inclement weather.
:iagree: I would also think that the venturi's would ice up fairly easily because the carbs are so far away from engine heat. I haven't driven a blown car, but I'd imagine it wouldn't run very well in the rain.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Ghoste

Yeah, it doesn't take much moisture in the air to get carb ice on those days in spring and fall when the conditions are right.

Doc74

Allright...so suppose you're washing your blower car with a pressure washer. A classy lady (read hot thang) walks by and while you're wondering if fries go with that shake you drown the blower. Ok so it only works in bad movies, just play along.
How bad would that be ? And what do you do if such thing happens or in the unlikely event, it spends a few hours in a serious rainshower.
Would you really have a problem getting it to run or is damage lurking it's head around the corner by then ?

Little add on to safety and trac shun things.....visibility isn't all that great with that big toiletbowl sticking through the hood, add some rain and maybe a 35 year old wiper mechanism...how far down the road will you have to go to land your butt in a ditch and on the 6 o'clock news?  :D

Ghoste

Would you go out to your car now and lift the hood and after removing the air cleaner, blast a bunch of water down the carb throats?  No different with a blower.  Water goes in your rad and your ice cube tray.  Air and fuel go in your carbs.

mally69

well when i whent to tear down my 440 we noticed that a rod was bent didnt make any noises but coulnt believe it we assume at one time before i had it water must have got into it them somone tried to start the engine and apparently bending the rod  good thing i never drove the car just run it up and down the trailer

Johnny SixPack

Quote from: mally69 on February 20, 2006, 09:10:01 PM
well when i whent to tear down my 440 we noticed that a rod was bent didnt make any noises but coulnt believe it we assume at one time before i had it water must have got into it them somone tried to start the engine and apparently bending the rod  good thing i never drove the car just run it up and down the trailer

That happened to my "85 F-250's 6.9L diesel.

Don't ask how I know, but 3 gallons of water in a 16:1 compr. diesel engine is bad.

Very bad.

A little bit of water/coolant (an interesting story in and of itself) isn't gonna hurt, but it's like it has been said, you're not gonna want to be driving a car like that in the rain for other obvious reasons.
Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

"If its got tits or tires, you're going to have trouble with it." - Unknown

Got Dodge Fever? There's only one cure.....Charger!