News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Window regulator swap. This is going to be fun.

Started by Dino, January 04, 2013, 09:17:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

Quote from: HeavyFuel on January 31, 2013, 05:23:10 PM
The putty is hardware store white caulking for sealing around doors and windows.  It's rope form, comes in a small box and I spooled off some and mashed it together.  It's the same stuff I'm gonna use to hold on the plastic barrier under the door/qtr interior panels.

I know the stuff, I'll get some for this project.   :2thumbs:

Well I'm almost ready for this.  It's still way too cold and snowy here to bring the Charger home but I hope to have much of the prep work done soon.  I also need to install an alarm system, door actuators, trunk lock and a bunch of other stuff so most of the interior will come out.  Having gone through these window reg threads I'm not as nervous anymore, except that I will have to fabricate brackets to secure the motors to the frames.  It's the electrical that's making me nervous right now but I'll get through it. 

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

HeavyFuel

Dino.....think twice when replacing your roof rail weatherstrip. :Twocents:

I have been going through the qtr glass adjustment process....and I know you've been following that topic .

The new weatherstrip is not the same shape as the old.  I haven't been able to update the other thread yet, because I want to get pics and do it right.

Bottom line is that the new weatherstrip (at least the stuff I got from YO) is NOT shaped the same as the factory stuff.  Out of frustration in trying to get my qtr glass/door glass to line up, I yanked out the repo weatherstrip and put in the original stuff.   Gee........low and behold.....the qtr glass is perfect now, and lines up nice with the door glass, because they lay differently against the weatherstrip.

I was happy to solve my qtr glass problem, pissed at the same time.....another $80 shot, and I'll be re-using my original stuff, which thankfully should be able to get me by.

Maybe other brands of weatherstrip have got their act together, but just watch out.

Watch the other thread, I'll be updating that with all the info.

Dino

Quote from: HeavyFuel on February 06, 2013, 02:01:36 PM
Dino.....think twice when replacing your roof rail weatherstrip. :Twocents:

I have been going through the qtr glass adjustment process....and I know you've been following that topic .

The new weatherstrip is not the same as the old.  I haven't been able to update the other thread yet, because I want to get pics and do it right.

Bottom line is that the new weatherstrip (at least the stuff I got from YO) is NOT shaped the same as the factory stuff.  Out of frustration in trying to get my qtr glass/door glass to line up, I yanked out the repo weatherstrip and put in the original stuff.   Gee........low and behold.....the qtr glass is perfect now, and lines up nice with the door glass, because they lay differently against the weatherstrip.

I was happy to solve my qtr glass problem, pissed at the same time.....another $80 shot, and I'll be re-using my original stuff, which thankfully should be able to get me by.

Maybe other brands of weatherstrip have got their act together, but just watch out.

Watch the other thread, I'll be updating that with all the info.

Thanks for the heads up!   :2thumbs:

The new seals I have are metro supersofts.  My originals are hard as a rock and I get quite the shower running it through the no touch car wash.   :lol:

If those don't work I'll have to find something else but I do need to replace them. 

HeavyFuel

With the door and qtr glass both down, look at the rail weatherstrip and see how it transforms to a different shape right where the two glasses would meet, if they were up.

The qtr glass slides right up into a grove , and the door glass lays against the rubber.

Make sure your new weatherstrip does this transition, or I think there will be problems. :Twocents:

HeavyFuel

OK...Hotdaytona clued me in.  I ordered/got sent the wrong weatherstrip for my car.  So my rant about the stuff not fitting is not accurate.  Sorry about that.

Dino

I had to work on Saturday but got lucky and had some down time.  I had my power window regs stashed away at work so when it turned out we had somewaiting to do I fired up one of the big ovens and set it to roughly 150 F.  I media blasted all 4 regs and the aluminum brackets.  I also blasted two of the coils, that's all I have.  I'll have to use two from my manual regs.  The front regs were in primer when I got them but there was still rust so I redid the whole thing.  I used a rust stop primer and rustoleum aluminum finish for the regs.  The coils got rust stop black.  All parts were dried in the oven before taking them home.

I still need to paint the motor housings and reassemble them and unless I can transfer the rollers from my manual regs I'll need a kit for these.

Dino

Dino

Dino

DC_1

Looks good! Just be careful when you wind up those springs and put on the motors  :2thumbs:

Dino

Quote from: DC_1(formerly Sydmoe) on March 25, 2013, 07:53:29 AM
Looks good! Just be careful when you wind up those springs and put on the motors  :2thumbs:

Ah yes, I need to make sure I don't become a prosthetic patient in my own department!   :lol:

So how many turns do I give that motor plate to put the proper tension on the coils?

mike337

Dino,

Getting ready to install my rear power windows as you covered in this thread. How many turns did you wind the springs?

Mike

Dino

Quote from: mike337 on December 03, 2022, 04:43:58 PM
Dino,

Getting ready to install my rear power windows as you covered in this thread. How many turns did you wind the springs?

Mike

Hey Mike, I honestly don't remember. It has been years now. But I recall it was straightforward and you will know when to stop.