News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Painting an intake manifold

Started by Dino, December 31, 2012, 10:34:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

I used the sandblasting cabinet at work to strip my old '71 intake manifold of its nasty orange paint and rust so I can repaint it hemi orange.  Obvisouly I don't want any paint to go onto the mating surfaces or inside the manifold so here's my question:  Is there anything I can do to the inside to treat it or do I need to leave it bare?  I know I can't use paints but wonder if there's something to 'season' the inside.  Fuel itself will do that but after paint this thing may go on a shelf for a very long time so any advice is welcome.

I wasn't able to get all the rust out as the blasting nozzle will only go so far so I may end up dipping it in acid as well.  The outside looks brand new though!
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Hard Charger

i saw some rattle can paint the other day that was meant for use inside of an engine.

i had mine blasted a couple months ago and the inside was clean. the only thing i specifed to the guy doing it was not to use soda.

Silver R/T

I would use some wd40 or fogging oil. It will keep it from rusting while you wait to put back on engine
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

b5blue

Submerge it in a solution of 5% citric acid for as long as it takes to remove the rust.  :2thumbs:

areibel

Quote from: Silver R/T on December 31, 2012, 02:31:55 PM
I would use some wd40 or fogging oil. It will keep it from rusting while you wait to put back on engine
:iagree:
The only coatings for inside were all meant for the oily side of things- supposedly painting the lifter valley lets oil return faster and prevents sludge build up, but I think it's not a big thing if you take normal care of an engine.  I think a little shot of WD would keep it from flashing.  Are you painting it now or waiting until it's on the engine?

Dino

I'm painting the intake soon and it won't be going on the engine.  It may never and I may end up selling it but I decided to take all the old parts I have and clean them up.  There's no point in having rusty and greasy parts in a box in the attic.  When cleaned up either I use it or lose it.

I'll dunk it in citric acid to get as much rust out as possible, do a quick reblast on the outside, paint the outside, sand the mating surfaces so they're nice and clean and then I'll wd40 the inside.

For good measure I may wrap it in cling wrap but I'm not sure that's the best idea.  Anyone done this?  I've done it with chrome parts covered in vaseline but that's not paint.

Thanks for the tips guys.

After this the dual snorkel thing is next.

Nickrc3

I prepped, painted and stored an old 383 intake years back by sealing the plenum and all ports with black HVAC duct tape. I guess any good quality duct tape would seal, but for some reason I've always felt the black 3M stuff had a more aggressive adhesive. Burnish the tape down to all machined surfaces, trim with a single-edge razor blade.

Recently removed from storage, the internal runners still appeared freshly glass-beaded.

bull

Mine is aluminum so no rust worries here. :laugh: I guess you could always have it ceramic coated like you would an exhaust manifold. :shruggy:

Cooter

One thing I've found with aluminum intakes is it'll be white in about a year.  I just paint all my heads/intakes now.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Indygenerallee

There is high heat clearcoat you can paint the aluminum to keep it from oxidizing, It won't turn yellow either!
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Dino

Yep aluminum is a bit easier to maintain, no argument there!

Also real easy to make it look like new again by soda blasting it.  Unfortunatley I have 42 year old rust to deal with now.   :eek2:

Hard Charger

Just do the obvious.

do nothing until the time in which you intend to use it.