News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Quarter Glass Install and Adjust Thread

Started by HeavyFuel, January 24, 2013, 11:51:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HeavyFuel

I know lots of us have trouble with the quarter glass install and adjustment, including me.  Maybe this can be the start of a thread that helps out with some of the issues.

1)  This is what my hardware looked like just before I re-installed it.  I think that it's in the right configuration.  It's all cleaned up, fresh lube, and new putty to hold the rollers in place during install.

2-3)  The stuff went in right back were it was, as shown in these before and after pics.

HeavyFuel

1)  I installed the side glass, adjusted the vent frame gap.  The side glass laid against the top weather-strip pretty decent on the first try.....I'll have to tweak it a little bit yet.

2)  Then it came to the quarter glass.  I fabbed some new spacers for the glass holes out of vacuum line......looks like the factory used the same thing, notice the ribs?  I took care to get mine in right, and not pinched like the assy line work. :yesnod:

3)  I cranked the glass up and down slowly, checking for binding.....feels pretty smooth.  I took it all the way down against the rubber stop block on the floor.

4)  Huh?    I don't remember the glass sticking out of the top like this before.   Something might be wrong. :scratchchin:

HeavyFuel

1)  Alright......so I crank it up to check the top.  The glass grazes along the top weather-strip the way it's supposed to, and I take it just to the stainless weather-strip channel.

2)  WTF........How can I have a gap this big between the quarter and side glass.  OK something is definitely wrong.  :flame:

3-4) The top stops are totally out of play right now......the frame doesn't even get close to either one, yet they are adjusted all the way DOWN, and the glass is all the way UP.

HeavyFuel

OK,  here's where it'd be great  to get  advice from the field.  Anybody come across this before?  I'm completely baffled.

:shruggy:

b5blue

No advise as this task is ahead for me but thank you for posting details.  :2thumbs:

Patronus

It's been awhile so bear with me. I'm sure that much room is within the adjustments. Loosen and slide the whole assembly fwd. Also IIRC I had to loosen and pull the glass fwd in its mounts and retighten while pulling fwd. Also, I noticed the screw for the rearward most stop is a bit too long and the threads stick out the back holding the glass from coming all the way up. Like adjusting body panels, same with glass, a little bit goes a long ways. It may take hundreds of times. In the end, you'll be an expert, trust me..
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

bill440rt

This can be a headache at times.
You can't really adjust the glass on the mount. Once the bolts go thru with the rubber hose inserts there's really no room for adjustment with the glass itself (pretty sure the inserts were made out of the same radiator overflow hose tubing).
Try loosening up the whole regulator as Patronus suggested, & see if you can move it forward. Leave ALL the stops loose when adjusting the glass. Once the glass is in the upward position, then tighten the stops against it. Same with the glass down.
Keep us posted on these adjustments, please.  :2thumbs:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Patronus

I actually cut the rubber tubing into a "c" shape allowing the glass to move fwd more. After which I was able to adjust the assembly fwd enough.
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Finn

Agreed, the rear needs to go forward. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to these stupid things. I fought with mine for months before it finally was "good enough". 

I was about ready to bust windows out and put in a net.
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

Dino

All of a sudden I still don't feel like tackling the windows.   :lol:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

68Charger4me

I had the same problem with mine, if you look at your second picture from the top there is an adjustment nut at the two oclock position from the rear armrest mounting hole.  I had to slide it to the top of its arc to move the window up and forward.  It was a major PITA!

Dmichels

The glass needs  to go down The glass moves forward as it goes up. You can see it is too high in picture when it is all the way down.
68 440 4 speed 4.10

69 OUR/TEA

My car is power windows,so is quite a bit different then your setup.
Your problem where the window doesn't go up all the way and is away from the door window,check that stop that is above the crank and to the right,you might have it in upside down,hard to tell by your before and after pics.The bolts are in the same spot,but inside the panel I can't see.That bracket is what stops the window on the way up,so if it is upside down,it is roughly 2'' lower which will hit the regulator and in sense stop the window.
As far as the window being lower,just raise the lower stop up and that will allow the window to go down farther.I did not remove my glass,so I took these completely out to get the window down lower to get my belt trim screws out.

69 OUR/TEA

As far as moving the whole regulator forward,that will screw up the location of the hole for the crank in the door panel :Twocents:

69 OUR/TEA

Looking at your pic again,the before,above the higher bolt in that stop,looks like a soft curve of the bracket where it is 90 degrees,in your after pic,it looks like it is just the end of a flat piece,hinting that it is upside down.

tan top

all what the other guys say   :yesnod: :cheers: :coolgleamA:
been so long ago since i done mine  , & with out actually being there to see whats going on !!
looking at the lower glass stop , did you remove this ? only mine was facing the quarter , not sure it that makes any difference , as to it catching anything when the window is wound up ?
also like the other said slacken the up stops  :yesnod:

see green arrows

also third picture is of  mine when i striped it down for the resto ,  ignore the red circles thats the glass in & out movement for another thread
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

HeavyFuel

Thanks to all for the input so far.  This is gonna end up being a good thread for everyone. :2thumbs:

I did some work over the weekend took some pics and will get them up in the next couple days.

**The putty is a re-creation of what was on there when I dis-assembled.  I think it was there to keep the rollers and assy in position during assy at the factory.  :scratchchin:

HeavyFuel

Thanks for the input guys.  I took the suggestions and went after it again.

1)  OK.  I loosened the three bolts for the regulator and slid the whole assembly forward.  This had a couple of effects:

A.  The qtr glass was now closer to the side glass simply because of the sliding.
    B.  The qtr glass could now be cranked up a little bit more, because the sliding created more clearance between the top of the qtr glass and the top weather-strip.  So I cranked up the glass, and that closed the rest of the side gap.  (When the qtr glass is almost all the way up,  the travel of the glass as you crank is just as much forward as it is up.)

2) The alignment between the qtr glass edge and the side glass will be off, and this can be adjusted by sliding this bolt up and down.  (I was wondering what than thing did.)  

3) You can see in the this pic that you can get the qtr glass the meet the side glass fuzzy perfect.

Big lesson for me (again):  Don't take the original position of parts as gospel.  I was getting way too hung up on "why" this was working when I took it apart and won't now.  Use the original positions of nuts/bolts/washers as guidelines, but be all means don't beat yourself up trying to force things to work.  If you have room to adjust, do it.

HeavyFuel

1-2)  Tea...the 'foot' of the stop was never removed when I disassembled, so.....that is odd that yours faces one way and mine another.  I adjusted it just a tish and the glass now drops below the belt molding as it should.

3) This is how my bolts ended up after adjusting everything.......for now.

HeavyFuel

1) As mentioned by Paul, you don't want to move the assembly forward too much.......the vinyl side panel needs to go on and the panel needs to fit behind the edge guard. I put on the edge molding and door panel to check for clearance.  The handle went on ok....looks like it'll work.

2)  The door edge needs black paint the before everything goes on to keep the body color from showing through. (see second pic of post)

3)  Date code of panel.  My car rolled off the line on Feb 2, 1968.

(No.....that panel with carpet is not going on.) :eek2:

HeavyFuel

Okay....so let's check a few things.

1)  Top edge of side and qtr glass appear to be lined up.   Does it look high enough?  I think it is.  The qtr glass stops are now adjusted to that height.

2)  Quarter glass top edge seems to move along the upper weatherstrip as it should, and it presses against the beltline weather-strip, but not too hard.

3)  The side glass stainless edge is just barely away from the little felt pad on the outside.   I'm not sure exactly how far it is supposed to be away, but this seems right.   There is space on the inside for the cat whiskers.

HeavyFuel

Now this is a problem, I think.  

1-2)  The side glass does not align with the qtr glass, as shown.  I'm not sure which glass needs the adjusting.....maybe both.  The side glass doesn't seem to have very much ability to adjust, especially when you consider how the whole assy slides into the door and the attaching points.

Of course, the gap disappears when you close the door tight, so I thought at first maybe this gap might be normal, but two things changed my mind:
   A.  The side glass can barely be moved when the door is closed because of the pressure.
   B.  The qtr window gets FUBARed when you crank it down and then try to go back up again.

What seems weird is the qtr glass really doesn't have any room to tilt in at the top or out on the bottom........so I'm not sure what exactly to try to fix this. :scratchchin:

I wish I could go back in time and slap the guy that designed this.  (Actually if I could go back in time, that wouldn't even get on the list of stuff to do....but that's another thread.)

Patronus

My gut tells me to adjust the lower arm (if its there) to the bottom of the door. This I believe adjusts the top of the glass in.. :shruggy:
I'd have to go stick my head in my door.. Let me ask, is this both new door and quarter glass? Or are you re-installing your old glass?
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Finn

Wow I'm having flashbacks. I hit all these problems as well.
The two bolts on the top for your 1/4 glass can be adjusted in and out then tightened with the nut. Try the one sliding bolt on the bottom of the long curved track inside the 1/4 window area first before messing with the top two.
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

bill440rt

Now that's a drastic improvement!  :cheers:
Yep, those big silver nuts adjust the tilt or angle of the glass. I found it easiest to adjust with the door closed. Just loosen the nuts, IIRC you need to double-wrench in order to do this, and then turn the nut to adjust the glass in or out. Watch it until it meets the door glass, then tighten them down.  :2thumbs:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce