News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Poor Challenger T/A; cruising in the Hemi Daytona..

Started by hemi68charger, March 27, 2015, 06:56:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Well, had a very nice 9/80 Friday off. Went to my daughter's elementary to participate in her Boosterthon, then went home and jumped in the ole Daytona to go by my friend's tranny shop and a classic car firm to chat with them about alignments. Then, I had to get a Sonic Coffee/Chocolate Chiller and some munchies.. The Hemi is running really good and not getting hot ( thus far - it isnt Summer yet ). Poor Challenger T/A's sitting in the back of the garage. Can't beat driving a Hemi Daytona.  :icon_smile_big:   ( but the pistol-grip in the T/A is pretty fun ). Then, I had to swing by another automotive shop in the area with an appropriate name..
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Q5XX29

Sounds like the perfect day! Beautiful car. So, have you been able to "open it up" a bit, yet? I am wondering what you think of the hemi performance.
dakota_gt on Instagram

69 DAYTONA

...do many people seem to understand what they are looking at

hemi68charger

Quote from: 69 DAYTONA on March 28, 2015, 09:32:59 AM
...do many people seem to understand what they are looking at

Most, not a clue in everyday driving.. Now, with the two gathers I've gone to thus far, I was getting all sorts of attention.. The last show I went to last Sunday was a funny situation in hindsight. I'm standing in a grassy area island near my Daytona chatting with a friend. Out of nowhere, I glance over to my car and see  a silouette of a head through the windows. Upon further looking, I notice there's actually a 14 year boy, with the my driver's door open and he's sitting in there with his hands on the steering wheel playing like he's driving it !!!! WTF !!!  I casually walk over, tell the boy he needs to get out, the show isn't a used car lot and proceeded to tell his oblivious father standing in front of my Daytona that the show isn't a used car lot and these cars are here for test drives..  :flame:

but, it was find... It is a apparent this father and son needed education on carshow ettiquette..
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

indreams84

1969 Dodge Charger R/T #s Matching

Q5XX29

dakota_gt on Instagram

500Jon

Hi Troy and family,

Daytona looks great there Fella!
Love the wheels and tyres, just perfect... :rofl:
Just gotta get that lanyard under control now, lol... :cheers:

You are one lucky guy indeed.
Pistol-grip 340 car is the way to go methinks... :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:

Envious 5J aka the LiMeY... :notworthy:
IF A JOB's WORTH DOING, ITS WORTH DOING WELL, RIP DAD.
4-SPEED, 1969 Charger-500 is the most Coolio car in the World!

hemi68charger

Quote from: 500Jon on April 02, 2015, 05:22:59 AM
Hi Troy and family,

Thanks Jon................... Both cars are REALLY REALLY fun. Owning two homologated racing Dodges was a dream for sure, just thought it would have been a C500 and Daytona..  ;D

Quote from: Q5XX29 on April 02, 2015, 01:46:07 AM
Bump for a response to my question...

Ed,
right now, she's a slug off the line. I believe I still need to fiddle with the timing and maybe tinker with the secondary air valves in the carbs. The converter is a 2400-2800 with is close or slightly higher than stock. So, there shouldn't be any cause for sluggishness off the line. Now, if I'm rolling and nail it ( I haven't keep it down as of yet since she's still a fairly new motor and I'm trying to feel my oats with it ), she'll shoot like a rocket and light'em up...... But, there's some more tuning to do for sure. I think timing will help. I have an new distributor coming in tomorrow from Bill, a restored OEM dual-point Prestolite with Pertronix guts to be used as my MSD trigger. Can't wait to get the OEM-correct Prestolite in the motor and she how she responds. I also had the light springs put it. With the cruising I've done, the temperatures seem to be cooler than my 440 that was in it. I get no pinging at all, so I may have room to advance the timing........ With a stock converter regardless, I should be able to melt the tires off the line......... She is running real good in everyday traffic, idles great at stops and throttle response is very nice...
Troy

Q5XX29

Quote from: hemi68charger on April 02, 2015, 06:59:25 AM
Quote from: 500Jon on April 02, 2015, 05:22:59 AM
Hi Troy and family,

Thanks Jon................... Both cars are REALLY REALLY fun. Owning two homologated racing Dodges was a dream for sure, just thought it would have been a C500 and Daytona..  ;D

Quote from: Q5XX29 on April 02, 2015, 01:46:07 AM
Bump for a response to my question...

Ed,
right now, she's a slug off the line. I believe I still need to fiddle with the timing and maybe tinker with the secondary air valves in the carbs. The converter is a 2400-2800 with is close or slightly higher than stock. So, there shouldn't be any cause for sluggishness off the line. Now, if I'm rolling and nail it ( I haven't keep it down as of yet since she's still a fairly new motor and I'm trying to feel my oats with it ), she'll shoot like a rocket and light'em up...... But, there's some more tuning to do for sure. I think timing will help. I have an new distributor coming in tomorrow from Bill, a restored OEM dual-point Prestolite with Pertronix guts to be used as my MSD trigger. Can't wait to get the OEM-correct Prestolite in the motor and she how she responds. I also had the light springs put it. With the cruising I've done, the temperatures seem to be cooler than my 440 that was in it. I get no pinging at all, so I may have room to advance the timing........ With a stock converter regardless, I should be able to melt the tires off the line......... She is running real good in everyday traffic, idles great at stops and throttle response is very nice...

Thanks for the response. I am about to get my first Hemi, and figured that I am bound to be a little disappointed, since I have had such a fascination with Hemis since I was a kid. By the way, I think Ed was a previous owner of my Daytona, but I am not Ed!

Clint

dakota_gt on Instagram

500Jon

Hi Troy and other Aero's.

A 426-Hemi by definition (in my book) is a Race MoToR in a street car.
(The 351 Cleveland motor had the same problem as well.)
Huge ports and bad street manners!
So detuning a 500 horse (race)motor for grocery getting was always gonna be a problem.
I've been lucky to drive a few hemi-cars with different engine builds.
No two are the same, as in no two motors are ever the same.
Small variances in components can have a huge effect on its habits.
Some docile and disappointing others just plain MENTAL!!! :2thumbs:

At the end of the day, everyone wants a Hemi, but most never get one... :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:

All said and done, 318's are for cruising hemi's are for kicking ass... :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
IF A JOB's WORTH DOING, ITS WORTH DOING WELL, RIP DAD.
4-SPEED, 1969 Charger-500 is the most Coolio car in the World!