News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Present day speedometers

Started by Highbanked Hauler, February 05, 2013, 09:46:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highbanked Hauler

Back in the day it was not uncommon for some "shady" used car lots to turn back speedometers on used cars. With technology what it is now could it be done to a computer controlled speedo of today ?  :shruggy:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

johnnyseville

Absolutely, I know a guy that does it with his laptop.  I am sure plenty of others have the know how too.
too many to list!

JB400

Maybe I shouldn't post how to do it ;)

I personally don't do it, but I've seen it done to a few vehicles and had to fix them.

Ghoste

I imagine it wouldn't take much of an internet search to turn up the instructions for anyone who really wanted to know.

Cooter

I have no first hand, or second hand knowledge of such illeagal activities.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Ghoste

DC_1

I know a guy .....I mean I have heard it is possible to do this with a bluetooth OBDII transmitter to his...errrr, I mean a Android phone. Takes 5 minutes.

You need someone who knows what they are doing. The guy I use to know has been doing it for years. I remember 10 years ago when he would meet you in a Taco Bell parking lot and pull the ECU out from under the dash in 10 min and then jump wires right to the chips to change bits. He has evolved as the tech has. He is smart enough to know that mileage and hours are tracked in more than one location in a vehicle. Different manufactures track different duration information in several location. For those that know what they are doing they can easily find a car that has had its odometer tampered with because some of the data doesn't match up. He changes all of it so hours match mileage in the various ECUs.

This is all a hypothetical fiction based story and I have no knowledge of these activities, not now or in the past of course!

Highbanked Hauler

Since I am dumber than dog crap on technology  I ask. I bought an 03 PT Cruiser in 04 from a new car dealer with 13K miles on it but some stuff went out by 70K like CV joints and Axel bearings and shocks and struts were junk before 100K..  I just wrote it off as junk parts but it got me wondering about possibilities :slap:
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Cooter

No, you bought a jacked up Neon called a PT loser. It is usually common for those turds to give problems even at that low miles. :D
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Cooter

Quote from: DC_1(formerly Sydmoe) on February 06, 2013, 09:11:38 AM
I know a guy .....I mean I have heard it is possible to do this with a bluetooth OBDII transmitter to his...errrr, I mean a Android phone. Takes 5 minutes.
You need someone who knows what they are doing. The guy I use to know has been doing it for years. I remember 10 years ago when he would meet you in a Taco Bell parking lot and pull the ECU out from under the dash in 10 min and then jump wires right to the chips to change bits. He has evolved as the tech has. He is smart enough to know that mileage and hours are tracked in more than one location in a vehicle. Different manufactures track different duration information in several location. For those that know what they are doing they can easily find a car that has had its odometer tampered with because some of the data doesn't match up. He changes all of it so hours match mileage in the various ECUs.This is all a hypothetical fiction based story and I have no knowledge of these activities, not now or in the past of course!
Here-in lies the real problem with doing this.....Have i seen it "Attempted"? Sure, Have I hooked up our "Secret Ninja Sh*t" and found out big brother has seen this? Sure...

JB400

Carfax is your friend when it comes to this type of problem.  The data on the car can be changed, but the data elsewhere hasn't been changed.  If the report does show up as being tampered with, then the car will be labeled with a TMU.  Also, cars that have been around for so many years get labeled TMU as well.

tan top

goes on all the time  ,  easier with the electronic ones  , just plug a lap top in to the car with appropriate info  ,   just like you do to recode a key on alot of models & away you go , don't even have to get dirty ,   favorite trick with lease cars , for business  use  ,  you have for X amount of years & only allowed to do X amount of mileage , go over no biggie , 10 minutes with a lap top ,    :yesnod: 
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Kern Dog

I call BS on this. Everyone plays fair and honest with cars. My mom said so.

bakerhillpins

In NH they transmit the ODO reading with the VIN to the state with the Emissions/etc testing results when the car gets inspected.  Can change the car all you want, changing the data in the Govt files might be a bit more difficult.  :Twocents:

One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Troy

Quote from: bakerhillpins on February 15, 2013, 11:23:52 AM
In NH they transmit the ODO reading with the VIN to the state with the Emissions/etc testing results when the car gets inspected.  Can change the car all you want, changing the data in the Govt files might be a bit more difficult.  :Twocents:

We don't have inspections/testing where I live so, once you buy a car, the government has no way of keeping track of it (none that are currently legal any way). Pretty soon cars will all "phone home" periodically so it will be much harder to tamper with anything like that.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

odcics2

Quote from: Cooter on February 06, 2013, 12:08:46 PM
No, you bought a jacked up Neon called a PT loser. It is usually common for those turds to give problems even at that low miles. :D

Only a few floor pan sections were carried over from the Neon.   Actually, PT Cruisers have developed a cult like following.   
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

aussiemuscle

With the amount of time cars in cities spend at traffic lights, they should track work-hours of the engine, rather than odo. like is done with dozers and such.

Ghoste

I don't think they should be tracking anything, its not the governments business.

Cooter

Quote from: odcics2 on February 17, 2013, 11:20:47 AM

Only a few floor pan sections were carried over from the Neon.   Actually, PT Cruisers have developed a cult like following.   

Yeah, and even the 2.2 K-cars have a cult following..Doesn't mean they ain't what they are IMO. Big, fat, turds. Horrible mistakes. Just like it's "sister/Brother", the Neon. If you've ever tried to work on/repair one of these, you'd know what I'm referring to.

resq302

Since DMV has now made inspection info available to police depts, we can now see what it has passed or failed for and even mileage.  Guess the fake inspection stickers were getting to be too much of an occurance so the state made it available to local pd's.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Cooter

Quote from: resq302 on February 22, 2013, 09:19:30 AM
Since DMV has now made inspection info available to police depts, we can now see what it has passed or failed for and even mileage.  Guess the fake inspection stickers were getting to be too much of an occurance so the state made it available to local pd's.

Here in Va. the S.I. has been put onto computers. This was done primarily to help do away with Richmond Va. having to do manual paperwork. Now, it's all on computer. This was also done to keep REJECTION stickers under control. These offer the recipient 14 days to travel to and from being REPAIRED. NOT taking your child to daycare, picking up groceries, etc. However, many cops here realize that many folks only own ONE CAR , HAVE TO do this very thing and are  pretty lax if only the first 2-3 days on rejection.
Also, it got to where folks would take a good thing, and try and figure out a way around it. Only ONE (1) Rejection PER YEAR is supposed to be issued to each vehicle. However, there were those that would travel to one station, get a rejection, ride it for three months, simply scrap it off, and go to another station and get another one. Do this 12 times, and you have gotten away with a whole year. illeagal.

Now, all it takes is the vehicle's VIN number and it pops up "Sorry, a rejection sticker has already been issued to this vehicle" and will NOT let you even go any further. So, it has it's good side as well as a down side.

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: odcics2 on February 17, 2013, 11:20:47 AM

PT's  are like feeder fish, automotive experimentation,what custom vans were of the 70s
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

charge69

Don't worry, by the 2015 model year, ALL cars sold here will have on-board gps system buried somewhere that reports position, where you have been and yearly mileage to the .GOV so they can begin taxing you by the miles you drive and where you go.

They probably will not drop the gas tax either and just add this tax. I am guessing here but, older cars without this reporting system will use reported mileage at inspection time to figure out how many miles you have driven States without inspections, well, we will just have to see how they handle that but a new section on the income tax form (1040) is probably coming.

Big Brother WILL keep track of where you go and how many miles you drive annually. It must be for your own sake or "for the children" as they say but the .GOV is not gonna take a hit on taxes just because they mandate all cars and trucks to get better fuel mileage; therefore, getting smaller revenues from the gas tax. How else are we going to fund road maintenance and/or new highways?

Ghoste

Or bail out Wall Street and buy caar companies.