News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rear Window Louvers on Daytona?

Started by Old Moparz, February 11, 2013, 05:21:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Moparz

No, I am not going to put window louvers on my Charger.   :lol:

But I did see this photo of a Vega hatchback with the rear window louvers & it got me curious if anyone had ever done it to a Daytona, even dealer installed?   :scratchchin:

That big window is like a greenhouse, so the louvers would make sense, but they aren't something I'd ever do. I used to see a 1968 Hemi Charger at a gas station on Rte. 4 in Fort Lee, NJ for years that had rear window louvers. It was a dark blue car with Centerline mags. I kind of like it, but not enough to do that either.

I poked around online looking for Vega louvers & they seem more rare than the hatch is.   :shruggy:
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

kab69440

My window plug is not Vega-based, but I did cut down a set of G body louvers and mocked them up on my car. The whole project went immediately to the scrap pile. The look of the spoiled roofline was so utterly hideous I didn't even bother with creating photographic evidence. Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time, but wow! It was ugly!
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

mauve66

20 years ago JCWhitney used to have all kinds of stuff like louvers but i'm not finding them now

i've always thought a 1st gen needed them also, i had a $300 carpet set fade in 3 months from that damn window
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

kab69440

A first gen might be able to pull it off since the backlight is concave and just a hair below profile's surface. If the louvers were narrow, it could look pretty good.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

Musicman

odcics2

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

johnnyseville

I have always like louvers, especially on the mustangs and cuda.  Would like to see  one on a daytona, cannot really picture it, maybe someone knowledeable with PhotoShop can make one up and post it.  Interesting idea.
too many to list!

hotrod98

My 71 Cuda had rear window louvers. I hated them. They scratched the glass, rattled and made it difficult to clean the back glass. And, after you washed the car, water would run out of them when you drove down the road. I'm defintely not putting them on the 71 that I'm building now.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Ghoste

I'm having a hard time picturing them on a Daytona or 500.  I like the way they look on 3rd gens and E-bodies but I just can't get my mind around them being on an aero car.

Aero426

Nothing says "aerodynamic" like putting rear window louvers on a Daytona.    Maybe if the car was on Pimp my Ride.     

Ghoste

And you know something, I can picture them on a Talladega but thats likely only because I've seen them on the Torino's and Cyclones.  Hmm, as I think about it, most of the cars I've seen them on were Fords.

Dino

It works on some cars, not a lot though.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

wingcar

If I am not mistaken, along with their wind tunnel testing of the second generation Daytona, Chrysler actually tested rear window louvers to see if there were any aero advantages to be gained from them.   They found that they held no advantage, and in fact hurt the aerodynamics a bit.  Not much if I remember correctly, but they offered no advantages, so they didn't precede any farther with their testing.   I believe the Hot Rod web site has the story posted.....it's been a while since I have looked at it. 
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

mauve66

Quote from: Musicman on February 11, 2013, 10:02:39 PM
Like this...

OMG, Musicman your like my hero or something
though i think with the window sunk in like it is they would actually be shallower (is that a word?) than that pic, nwo, what do i make it out of................... :scratchchin: :scratchchin:
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

cdr

i think the 1st gen pic from musicman looks really AWESOME  :2thumbs:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Musicman

It can be done  :cheers:
I think that following the curve of the window might be cool too.