News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hydrolic lifter tapping....

Started by dodgedarren, January 17, 2013, 04:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dodgedarren

Hi, I have a 440 with Edelbrok heads. I was getting a slight tapping on the passenger side after the engine was installed. The spring on my carb came loose and when I started it the engine over revved and now the tapping and considerably louder. I am hoping that the lifter did not collapse. Could it be I need to adjust the rockers?? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Darren

dodgedarren

Ive had a slight tapping on the passenger side but became considerably louder when the engine was accidentally over revved. Could I have collapsed the lifter???

69rtse4spd

Could have, I did that to one in my 383 two bbl. years ago.

69rtse4spd

Pull the valve cover & check, I got the same on my 440. Thought I had a bad lifter when I buzzed the motor, pulled the cover & number two rocker lock nut had come loose. :eek2:. Close to home, luckily no damage, checked all the other ones also.

XH29N0G

You have ruled out other possibilitied like and exhaust leak? 
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

dodgedarren

Im positive its not a exhaust leak. I'm going to do a compression check in the morning with my fingers crossed.

XH29N0G

OK, I should have figured that out from reading higher up in the thread.  I had tapping related to rocker arm wear, but it sounds like you have a handle on that too. 
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

TXcharger70

Quote from: 69rtse4spd on January 17, 2013, 05:18:21 PM
Pull the valve cover & check, I got the same on my 440. Thought I had a bad lifter when I buzzed the motor, pulled the cover & number two rocker lock nut had come loose. :eek2:. Close to home, luckily no damage, checked all the other ones also.
No joke I had the same happen to me few months back. What a scare I had luckily i was also close to home as well and had a buddy tow me back

dodgedarren

I have the valve cover off but still researching how to best adjust the rockers.
Any articles of suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Darren

Challenger340

Whose Lifters are in the Engine ?

If you exhaust all other avenues to correct the tapping......
read this
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95605.0.html
Only wimps wear Bowties !

67RedCharger

I hope you have added the ZDDP suppliment to your oil.  Just a thought that has escaped some.

~ Don ~  67redcharger
Original Owner "Ole Red" 1967 Red Dodge Charger

dodgedarren

Hello, Good News. After pulling the valve cover off and bumping the engine over a few time I was able to locate a loose rocker ark adjuster. Easy fix. Some things sound worse than they. Thank you for all the great advice that got my brain working!!!

Darren

bobs66440

Quote from: Challenger340 on January 20, 2013, 07:13:02 PM
Whose Lifters are in the Engine ?

If you exhaust all other avenues to correct the tapping......
read this
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95605.0.html
I missed that thread originally, but came to the same conclusion recently. I had a Comp lifter bleeding down on my 2000 mile rebuild  :RantExplode:. Changed the cam and spoke to Jason at SEC Johnson. He hooked me up with a new set of flat tappets. They were twice the price of Comps, but if they last, it's worth it... :2thumbs:

Challenger340

Nobody asked.....and to be honest...I don't do alot of "Hydraulic" Cam Engines,
however,
from the nightmares I've seen on the Dyno using "unknown" brand hydraulic lifters in ANYBODY's boxes from CompCams to Lunati to Crane or "whatever" name on the box...
I just cut to the SHIAT...and I order Topline Johnson Lifters direct, RIGHT AWAY !
U.S. made
Top Quality
NO Tics
No Hics
Smooth rpm
and ya can beat 'em like a red headed stepchild with NO problems.

You GET...what you PAY for...
Only wimps wear Bowties !

flyinlow

Quote from: Challenger340 on February 05, 2013, 10:42:26 PM
however,
from the nightmares I've seen on the Dyno using "unknown" brand hydraulic lifters in ANYBODY's boxes from CompCams to Lunati to Crane or "whatever" name on the box...
I just cut to the SHIAT...and I order Topline Johnson Lifters direct, RIGHT AWAY !
U.S. made
Top Quality
NO Tics
No Hics
Smooth rpm

Have about 30,000 miles on my Lunati Vodoo cam (and engine) and starting to get some lifter noise when cold.   Would you recommend replacing the Lunati lifters?

bobs66440

Quote from: flyinlow on February 10, 2013, 10:43:23 PM
Quote from: Challenger340 on February 05, 2013, 10:42:26 PM
however,
U.S. made
Top Quality
NO Tics
No Hics
Smooth rpm

Have about 30,000 miles on my Lunati Vodoo cam (and engine) and starting to get some lifter noise when cold.   Would you recommend replacing the Lunati lifters?
If you install new lifters, you will need to install a new cam also. They wear in and mate as a set.