News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Groundstrap question for owners of 1969 and earlier cars.............

Started by Rick Keesler, February 15, 2006, 04:54:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Keesler

I have a question for owners of 1969 and earlier cars, no matter what the body style.........

Is your groundstrap from the back of the engine to the firewall an insulated wire or is it an un-insulated flat braided strap?????

I looked at a 67 Barracuda, and it had an insulated wire that was original from the factory. A 68 Satellite I looked at also had the insulated wire original from the factory. Then I looked at a 69 Coronet which had the un-insulated flat braided strap, again, original from the factory. All these cars were parts cars in a yard, so I know they had the original parts on them, and you could tell they had never been messed with.

Would this be another one of those cases where they just used whatever was available at the time of production???

All responses are appreciated, Thanks!!!

Blown70

I have honestly seen both.  I do not know if there is a right or wrong or has to do with the plant they were assembled at.

I have looked at all A, B, C, E bodies and have seen both myself.

Tom

8WHEELER

Most stock ground cables I have seen in the rear of the engine are the insulated coated cables.
I used to run A 1in wide fancy flat ground strap for 20yrs they work just fine, But I put my car back to stock.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

Blown70

Quote from: 8WHEELER on February 15, 2006, 06:07:39 PM
Most stock ground cables I have seen in the rear of the engine are the insulated coated cables.
I used to run A 1in wide fancy flat ground strap for 20yrs they work just fine, But I put my car back to stock.

Dan

Dan,

Do you think that is motors were switched they may have done this.  I have seen both and has been in  a salvage yard so History of the car would be unknown.

Tom

8WHEELER

Some could have been switched, but I have seen some of the flat ground straps, but
most of them were on 70 and newer cars.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

Mfr426

My 69 has an insulated ground strap as does my buddies original 68 RT. The wire is THICK (like an 8 guage or so I would think).

Mike R

Rick Keesler

ChargerRob

Can somebody post a picture of the ground strap. Thanks, Robert :cheers:
Mighty Mean Mexican Mopar

Rick Keesler

Here is a pic of the groundstraps I'm going to make. There are three different lengths depending on application, 10", 13", and 16".  Originals are very similar to these in appearance, except mine will use black shrinkwrap and #8 guage cable. Originals would not have shrinkwrap and they would be made of #10 guage.

Paul 500

Heres the original one off my 68 R/T, got a repo one from Year one & it was near enough identical.
68 Charger R/T
69 Charger 500

Mfr426

I believe that A/C cars had a different length of cable/strap too. I think it was longer (like 12" I think) to accomodate a different location on the block.

y3chargerrt

I believe the location on the block is the same. The cable is longer because the ground location is higher up on a/c cars. I thinks its higher because of the blower motor.

Mfr426

Makes sense to me. I know they are different and had a heck of a time getting the correct length.

ChargerRob

Thanks for the pictures of the strap guys, How about one of the strap mounted in the car.
Thanks a bunch.  :cheers:
Mighty Mean Mexican Mopar