News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Any preferences in coolant modifiers

Started by Ghoste, July 20, 2005, 04:36:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anyone have a preferred brand of additive for their coolant?

Water Wetter
4 (57.1%)
Purple Ice
2 (28.6%)
DEI Rad Relief
0 (0%)
Other
1 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Ghoste

I have been using Water Wetter with success for some time now but today I bought some of the DEI stuff.  Anyone else try various brands and come to any conclusions with this stuff?

Just 6T9 CHGR

Sorry, only used the Watter Wetter stuff from RedLine
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Chryco Psycho

I have used Redline as well most should work though

Ghoste

Quite a difference in temp reduction claims on the packaging though.

dodgecharger-fan

Snagged this info from another board that I frequent:

"Since Water Wetter and Purple Ice are both essentially glorified soap, try a few drops (and I do mean drops) of dishwashing detergent before you pay the big bucks. Water Wetter is about $8... last I checked, a small bottle of Palmolive was about 89 ยข. It's a racer's trick from decades ago, from before either of the named products existed.

All three do the exact same thing: lower the surface tension of water so that it can better fill the microscopic valleys and pits of the inside of the radiator and engine (or pots and pans). That also happens to be the only purpose for soap. In a car it helps cool, in the sink it gets pans clean, and the Dial you use in the shower does the same thing to get you cleaner than water alone. Being so diluted, and under pressure, no, it will not get suds. Afraid of suds? Use liquid Tide instead.

And that's all for today's physics lesson. 

Remember: if the car's summer-only, straight water cools better than water with "coolant". Best? Distilled water that's been boiled first, with a few drops of one of the aforementioned soaps."

Ghoste

I didn't know that about the soap  I had thought that about the distilled water though.  A local guy with a sharp 70 GTX is infamous for using bottled water in his rad.
Any suggestions for an additive to help stop corrosion and lube water pump seals and all those other good things the antifreeze makers claim?

Silver R/T

water wetter usually works, but you cant just count on it if you got 500cu.in and no aluminum pump/radiator, theyre made to work together
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Ghoste

Stock rad, stock pump, stock 383 cubes.