News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

bad material

Started by mister bungle, February 16, 2006, 03:36:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mister bungle

Today i was planning to install the sound deadener on the floor. That package was included for free (year One product REM) when i bought the Charger. I never saw such bad material that not even fit while using a heat gun. and to few material to cover the whole floor.
Anybody else with bad experience on that?
The square tiles from 3M are much better. That REM product is OUT
Born with the right heart in the wrong continent

dpm68

Good to know. It's a gamble these days when it comes to getting parts that either fit or even come close, and now I've heard
(from this board) that a lot of repro stuff is being outsourced, it's even more of a gamble...

nh_mopar_fan

One of the guys in the Valiant/Barracuda club used this stuff:

Peel™ & Seal
6"x25' Roll Self-Stick Aluminum Faced

Item #: 154017       Model: PS625

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=154017-81326-PS625&pad=true

Very similar to Dynomat supposedly and much cheaper.

Just 6T9 CHGR

I was thinking of buying this stuff.......is this it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4583849160&ssPageName=ADME:B:BOEO:MOT:1

Replacemints is the same company that makes the molded hood pads.  They are good quality.  i wonder how this stuff is?
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

4402tuff4u

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on February 17, 2006, 06:56:02 AM
I was thinking of buying this stuff.......is this it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4583849160&ssPageName=ADME:B:BOEO:MOT:1

Replacemints is the same company that makes the molded hood pads.  They are good quality.  i wonder how this stuff is?

Doesn't really say but does this stuff get glued on to the floor? I was always leery about the peel and set noise barrier. After a fresh paint job inside the Charger, I'm not inclined to glue anything down to it. I would like to find a noise barrier that can just be laid down beneath the carpet. Is this the stuff on ebay?
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

mister bungle

That stuff on e-bay is the stuff that i used. No glue needed. It may be an original reproduction after all, but you sure have not enough material to do the whole floor. It supposed to be a heat shiekd as well, but you don't have material to cover the floor under the back seat were the mufflers (heat) are located. Neither under the front seats (noise). Only were you can put your feet, and under the console. Best thing is to cover the whole floor. So to me this item is worthless.

BB1

I'm no Dynomat fan, here is what's going in my Cuda.  They are right by my house.

http://www.hushmat.com/
Delete my profile

Shakey

I plan on using a water resitant foam lined with a foil material on the upper side and an adheisive on the underside.  It is about 5mm thick and will be stuck to the floor after sealing it with primer / paint and a thorough cleaning.  I will then lay the jute padding and carpet on top of it.  I will also use this above my headliner.

I figure no one will ever see it.

It looks just like the stuff in the attached photo which I copied from this or the old site.  This is a member's car but can't recall who.

694spdRT

Shakey,

Where do you plan on getting that foam at?

Thanks
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Shakey

Quote from: 694spdRT on February 17, 2006, 11:10:09 AM
Shakey,

Thanks

I work for a company that makes HVAC systems for all types of transportaion (buses, trains, construction, mining, ag equipment) and we use this as a heat barrier on some of our systems.  It is quite expensive but I have spoken to my Manufactuing Manager and he said he will get me what I need.  Of course I will be getting this at a huge discount.   :D

694spdRT

Quote from: Shakey on February 17, 2006, 11:44:19 AM
Shakey,

Thanks

I work for a company that makes HVAC systems for all types of transportaion (buses, trains, construction, mining, ag equipment) and we use this as a heat barrier on some of our systems.  It is quite expensive but I have spoken to my Manufactuing Manager and he said he will get me what I need.  Of course I will be getting this at a huge discount.   :D

Do you know the product name for it? I have several HVAC contacts I work with regularly.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto

Just 6T9 CHGR

Shakey,

Thanks

I work for a company that makes HVAC systems for all types of transportaion (buses, trains, construction, mining, ag equipment) and we use this as a heat barrier on some of our systems. It is quite expensive but I have spoken to my Manufactuing Manager and he said he will get me what I need. Of course I will be getting this at a huge discount. :D

That wouldnt be the 5 finger discount would it? ;)

I hear that discount is the way to go..... :thumbs:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

694spdRT

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on February 17, 2006, 04:48:29 PM
Shakey,

Thanks

I work for a company that makes HVAC systems for all types of transportaion (buses, trains, construction, mining, ag equipment) and we use this as a heat barrier on some of our systems. It is quite expensive but I have spoken to my Manufactuing Manager and he said he will get me what I need. Of course I will be getting this at a huge discount. :D

Hey, I know a guy that has access to a few buses out east.  ;)
1968 Charger 383 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto

Shakey

Quote from: 694spdRT on February 17, 2006, 12:37:13 PM
Shakey,

Thanks

Do you know the product name for it? I have several HVAC contacts I work with regularly.

I'll look in to it on Monday.  I have a sample in my office and I will contact Purchasing to see who has it.

Shakey

Shakey,

Thanks

I guess there are numerous ways of looking at it (borrowing it for the next 20+ years, testing it out for different applications, checking the compatibilty with different surfaces regarding the adhesison) but when all is said and done, ya I'll be getting a smokin' deal on it.   :yesnod: 

In cases like this I always feel it is best to ask.  99.9% they will say yes.  If you go ahead and help yourself, the consequences could be dire.

What I like best is when Engineering gives me the full run down on the materials used in the product.  I ask a simple question as to whether or not it would work well in a car and they end up telling me how "the porus in the foam beneath the thermal barrier will reject water & moisture should and condensation due to the changes in ambient temperature because the"......* Shakey interupts* "Will it work on not man!"   ::)

The old one - ask an Engineer what time it is and he'll tell you how to build a clock but still never tell you what time it is.

Shakey

Quote from: 694spdRT on February 17, 2006, 04:52:04 PM
Shakey,

Thanks

Hey, I know a guy that has access to a few buses out east.  ;)

Ya I know that guy too!  NYC can be one tough customer though.  On the flip side, if you can sell them there, you can sell them anywhere!

Just 6T9 CHGR

:iagree:

Be careful though if you do sell to us......you know our track record of putting companies out of business :rotz:

Good topic for the interior tech section now.........

Moving along :)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

phat69charger

Mister Bungle
It's possible that you got a bad batch of material or the material is just crap and that's why you got it for free from whom ever gave it to you!

If you your going to spend just about $100.00 or over, don't waste it on that reproduction pre-cut sound deadener material it's okay for what it is, but it doesn't insulate like the foil mat deadener and it's already cut to fit a specific location in the vehicle so you have to put it where it was made to fit and not where you may want to put it at, you can buy the new foil type of material in different amounts and put it any where you need it, I think the best buy is 120 SQ FT for $130.00 shipped, which will probably do your entire car if your tactful in how and where you install it.  http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5767323088&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RSCC_Pr4_PcN_BIN_Stores_IT

If you already have the factory type material that's fine leave it where it is, you can just go over it with the new material, the foil on the newer material protects the mat from abrasion and liquids, plus it insulates the heat from the interior that's three plus's over the original type of mat, as for the ceiling I would use the liquid deadener that you can brush on or spray, it comes in two colors blue and black, it will not fall because of it's weight like the mat can over time.   http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=5773699415&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

mister bungle

path69charger
You got a point! These materials are way better. The headliner is installed allready, so too late for that, but i'll try a ricer shop (if i dear to go in there) for that foil. (Saves me allot shipping cost)
By the way, i've got that bad material from some one who sold his 69, 440ci project. And believe me he still regret his lost.

phat69charger

Quote from: mister bungle on February 18, 2006, 04:56:33 PM
path69charger
You got a point! These materials are way better. The headliner is installed allready, so too late for that, but i'll try a ricer shop (if i dear to go in there) for that foil. (Saves me allot shipping cost)
By the way, i've got that bad material from some one who sold his 69, 440ci project. And believe me he still regret his lost.

Mister Bungle

I think that your are in for a major surprise if you go to any shop and think that you can find a foil backed sound deadener cheaper than you will find on the internet, parts express is the cheapest company that I have seen as far as sound deadener materials in general, but the company in the link above has them beat for a foil backed Mat, you won't be saving on any shipping by going to a local shop I don't think it will even be close for the amount per Sq, Ft cost, but that depends on where you live also, I'm down south and it's usaually less here than most other places.

If you plan on doing just the area under your carpet that's about 30 Sq, Ft or a little more, the company above sells 40 Sq,Ft of the foil backed mat for $53.00 shipped  http://cgi.ebay.com/40Sq-Ft-eDead-Sound-Deadening-67-Off-Retail_W0QQitemZ5775421195QQcategoryZ67760QQcmdZViewItem  Let me know if you find that amount for the same price locally in your area.

Later Marc

y3chargerrt

How well does this material block heat? I see its made for sound proofing. Will it block the exhaust heat when installed?

bull

Isn't there a spray-on product that works pretty good?

phat69charger

Quote from: y3chargerrt on February 19, 2006, 10:04:19 AM
How well does this material block heat? I see its made for sound proofing. Will it block the exhaust heat when installed?

Go to the the ad says the specs for the material the V1.0 is 40mils thick and resistant to 350F degrees, and it tells you how many layers you can go maximum for optimum results, just click the link and see what it says, I think the best way for anyone to know is to go to a stereo shop like circuit city and put your hands on a sample of the material.

mister bungle

you won't be saving on any shipping by going to a local shop I don't think it will even be close for the amount per Sq, Ft cost, but that depends on where you live also

I'm letting you know that i live in Belgium Europe, so i'll guess it sure will save me some shipping cost and taxes. (import taxes only are 21%) I'm gonna look around. Thanx anyway

phat69charger

Parcel services and the mail system Rob you guys for shipping overseas, if you know some one in the US Mlilitary have them buy you some and have it shipped to there unit and you advoid all the bullshit.

Mister Bungle, I never looked at your profile for your location, if I had I would have known what you meant by saving on shipping cost.

mister bungle

That's okay. path69, in fact that's a compliment for my grammar and spelling... (?)
And the guy i knew from US army in Germany left two months ago. Back home, he said; Tennessee Yeeeehaa

phat69charger

Quote from: nh_mopar_fan on February 16, 2006, 07:28:56 PM
One of the guys in the Valiant/Barracuda club used this stuff:

Peel™ & Seal
6"x25' Roll Self-Stick Aluminum Faced

Item #: 154017       Model: PS625

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=154017-81326-PS625&pad=true

Very similar to Dynomat supposedly and much cheaper.

nh_mopar_fan, Great find!  :2thumbs:

I went to lowes and looked at the peel and seal material, and it's the same material as the sound deadeners you find a stereo shops, it has the same consistency and weight as the other foil backed sound deadeners, if you break it down into 5 foot sections you would have pieces that cover 30" x 60" or 12.5 Sq, ft, it's $13.68 here in N. Carolina, that's cheaper than the regular sound deadener without the foil back, So if you buy three packs you'll have 37.5 Sq, ft which will cover all of the area under your carpet for just over $41.00, so all of you looking for the a great deal on sound deadener you need to go to Lowes and get the peel and seal in the roofing section.

phat69charger

If you do your math and take the 120 Sq, ft of material on ebay for $130.00 shipped, and divide it by the 12.5 Sq, ft of peel and seal you have to get 9.6 rolls of of peel and seal to equal the 120 Sq, ft offered on ebay, the up's and down's of that are, up's Peel and seal comes in small amounts and works well for small areas because it's a 6" x 25' roll, you can buy just a small amount for cheap, you can get it without the wait, the down's are it cannot cover large areas without being multiple pieces, and the Tax on it will take away from the price being equal, peel and seal cost $13.68 x 9.6 rolls is 120 Sq,ft, you can't buy half rolls from lowes, but if you could that's $131.33 no Tax, so like I stated before I think the 120 Sq, ft on ebay is the best buy out there and it will do the whole car, maybe two of them if you don't double layer it.

I forgot to say if you don't need that much sound deadening material because your not going to take your car down that far or you just want to do your trunk, or doors the peel and seal is a good buy.