News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Who wants to Megasquirt, full sequential fuel/ spark a 68 charger! This Guy!!

Started by redmist, February 24, 2013, 11:51:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black_Bee

Quote from: redmist on September 08, 2015, 07:49:24 AM
If I remember right, I used both sides of the resister connectors together.

I rewired my car since then, but I believe that's how it was setup before.

I did the same thing.  The two ballast resistor power wires (run and crank) are both attached to the relay coil.

:cheers:

peterro

Thanks. I tried the 2 hot wires from the ballast resistor and still no fire when cranking with the key. I originally used the wire from the coil as switched power. I would have thought that would stay hot while cranking. Do you think it's that the voltage goes too low on those lines when cranking for the computer to run? I'll need to spend some more time troubleshooting unless anyone has any more ideas.

I didn't see your post black_bee before posting this. I guess I'll have to check my work.

Thanks again.

Black_Bee

Quote from: peterro on September 09, 2015, 01:04:59 AM
Thanks. I tried the 2 hot wires from the ballast resistor and still no fire when cranking with the key. I originally used the wire from the coil as switched power. I would have thought that would stay hot while cranking. Do you think it's that the voltage goes too low on those lines when cranking for the computer to run? I'll need to spend some more time troubleshooting unless anyone has any more ideas.

I didn't see your post black_bee before posting this. I guess I'll have to check my work.

Thanks again.

If you have wired it through a relay (as you absolutely 100% should do), voltage on those lines should not be an issue since they are simply triggering the relay to pull power straight from the battery.

Aussiemadonmopars

I've been looking around for someone to make a manifold for the 383 short deck big blocks and there are a few guys around that can do it but would it be better to go for something like the FAST EFI 4150 based throttle body? It seems like it would be a lot easier and a little bit cheaper in the long run. If you look at what comes with it as well: the throttle body, 4 x 85lb high impedance injectors, fuel rails, sensors. I have also heard that the throttle body injection setups get more power as well (correct me if I'm wrong). Your thoughts guys??

grnfsh

No doubt one of the new TB EFI systems would be easier to set up than a megasquirt conversion. One issue i saw with those kits is the need for vacuum. My engine produces very little.  You are also somewhat limited to what you can do with it vs a megasquirt but for most folks that would be a great set up; 

Aussiemadonmopars

I was actually just thinking of purchasing the FAST throttle body by itself with the sensors and injectors and no ECU. As you can see in the picture you get the whole lot for about $1k which when you look at getting a manifold redone with new injector bungs and fuel rails will cost $650 plus a set of good injectors for say $300 and you might be up to about the same level without a throttle. No doubt I will still be using a MS ECU but there is limited options for the hardware for the low deck big blocks and I thought I would throw this out there as another option. I definitely might consider it unless someone chimes in with something better.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/191410715564?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

67Charger440

I am running that exact unit on the 609HP 496" stroker in my '67 Charger.  MS2 ECU, working on adding spark control next. It works great, just plan on spending some cash to source all the pigtails or drop the coin in the fast harness and adapt it to the ECU.  I went the former route and used a Mil-spec cannon Amphenol connector at the firewall.  I run it at 65 psi to make sure I have enough fuel flowing through those 4 injectors.  Haven't 100% duty cycled them yet.

Aussiemadonmopars

Quote from: 67Charger440 on September 20, 2015, 08:00:42 PM
I am running that exact unit on the 609HP 496" stroker in my '67 Charger.  MS2 ECU, working on adding spark control next. It works great, just plan on spending some cash to source all the pigtails or drop the coin in the fast harness and adapt it to the ECU.  I went the former route and used a Mil-spec cannon Amphenol connector at the firewall.  I run it at 65 psi to make sure I have enough fuel flowing through those 4 injectors.  Haven't 100% duty cycled them yet.

Thanks for the info Mate. I thought the sensors they were using were the GM ones so you could just use GM connectors. I would be interested in seeing what your duty cycle is on those 4 x 85lb injectors.

67Charger440

They are GM connectors, easy at a junkyard.  I'll download some loggers when I get back to the car...

MechTech

I installed Shadow Dash MS on my car.The MS3X ECU sends its data via Bluetooth to the tablet I bought for $100. The complete setup cost about $170. I shot a video while at the track that I posted on Youtube the link is below.
https://youtu.be/i6bj7ggJnDY

grnfsh

Quote from: MechTech on September 05, 2015, 07:14:22 AM
Is there anyone else that wants a trigger wheel and sensor bracket. I am recommending this wheel not be used unless you have an aluminum vibration damper.   

What was the issue? Was the sensor picking up the steel damper? Which damper did you use ?

grnfsh

Made some progress on my own build yesterday, got my coils mounted to the valve covers. Hardest part was deciding what I was going to do, and how I was going to do it. I just got some machine screws from the hardware store and ran them though from the bottom. My concern was the screw falling threw if the coil ever came lose, so I put a nut on the other side of the screw so it acts like a stud. I found some nylon spacers to give the coils some support, it also keeps them physically off of the valve covers as well so they wont scratch. I plan on painting or powder coating the valve covers.

grnfsh

Quote from: MechTech on September 05, 2015, 06:14:15 AM
You could try a secondary spring I attached a picture of my setup. I Pimp for Ross Machine Racing throttle bodies they have a pretty strong spring. The reason I  have a secondary spring is because NHRA requires a backup spring

Need to get Ross Machine Racing to develop an intake manifold for BB mopars

Rolling_Thunder

1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

MechTech

I spoke with Ross Machine Racing today about developing that intake, he wants to make them he has drawn one up for a 440 it looks way cool. We were talking about how to make it so that it will have common parts to fit 383 400 and 440 and have various length runners dual and single throttle bodies and plenums. Ive been licking my chops for one of those intakes also. Ill keep talking to him about it.

grnfsh

That's awesome.  :cheers: I was actually half joking because I didnt think anyone would build one do to lack of market. Ill be following.

shawge

Hey grnfsh, where did you pick up those valve covers?  They don't look like the ones from 440 Source.

grnfsh

Quote from: MechTech on October 12, 2015, 07:21:09 PM
I spoke with Ross Machine Racing today about developing that intake, he wants to make them he has drawn one up for a 440 it looks way cool. We were talking about how to make it so that it will have common parts to fit 383 400 and 440 and have various length runners dual and single throttle bodies and plenums. Ive been licking my chops for one of those intakes also. Ill keep talking to him about it.

what would be even more bad ass is a modular manifold for BB mopars that can accept multiple types of options for induction. EFI, Carb, or something like a magnusun supercharger. Sort of like the "mod-man" that Indy sells for GENIII Hemis

MechTech

I was at Maryland International Raceway this past Saturday for an all Mopar event. I got the car to go 10.86 I new it was making more power with this sequential setup. I think with a little more tuning I can make it to the 10.70s

Black_Bee

Quote from: MechTech on November 02, 2015, 05:55:28 PM
I was at Maryland International Raceway this past Saturday for an all Mopar event. I got the car to go 10.86 I new it was making more power with this sequential setup. I think with a little more tuning I can make it to the 10.70s

What was it running before, and did you make any other changes?

MechTech

Fastest it ran prior was 10.92 same intake with Batch fueling and MSD ignition.

Aussiemadonmopars

Hey 67CHarger440, did you get the info on those injectors and the duty cycle?

grnfsh

Quote from: MechTech on November 02, 2015, 05:55:28 PM
That's pretty awesome, gotta love the extra power. Best I did with my cuda before EFI was 11.60, hope to improve on that as I don't believe I ever had the correct carb set up.

grnfsh

Also Good to know that Proflo XT manifold is capable of power. I was a bit concerned about it.