News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

pic of the charger crash test?

Started by miller, July 28, 2005, 11:50:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

miller

does anybody have that old pic of the 69 charger into the wall? and does anyone have the GTX that was ran over by the train?

2005 Harley Davidson 1200 Sportster Custom - Maggie
2012 370Z NISMO - Courtney
1979 Corvette L-82 - Lilly
1969 Dodge Charger R/T Clone - Vanessa

69_se_ron

I've got it at work...I'll post it tomorrow.
Check out my progress pics at:<br />http://www.cardomain.com/ride/732403

Ghoste

Wakko

Anyone know how fast this crash was?
Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

69_se_ron

I think it was 70 or 75 mph.   I remember thinking that it was slow to cause that much damage, but straight into a brick wall...
the whole car is the crumple zone.
Check out my progress pics at:<br />http://www.cardomain.com/ride/732403

Drache

Quote from: 69_se_ron on July 29, 2005, 07:13:32 AM
I think it was 70 or 75 mph.   I remember thinking that it was slow to cause that much damage, but straight into a brick wall...
the whole car is the crumple zone.

That's unibody construction for ya! I think in the other post where this picture showed up I stated that a driver could have taken the wing nut off the air cleaner with his teeth from the front seat!
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

clausoe

Scary stuff.

mustanghater

this pic was in cars in barns it said it was a hemi
New Muscle car forum
http://usav8.com/aamc/index.php
www.myspace.com/spencespeed

Ghoste

To be fair to the GTX though, there aren't many vehicles short of a tank that could survive a train wreck.

hemigeno

Quote from: mustanghater on July 29, 2005, 08:34:07 AM
this pic was in cars in barns it said it was a hemi

Doesn't look like the K-frame has a skid-plate on it though.  Probably a 440 car.  Made a mess of it, no matter what it had in it though!

Drache

For the record the Charger was going 100 mph when it hit that brick wall!  :brickwall:
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Lightning

Quote from: Drache on July 31, 2005, 08:18:15 PM
For the record the Charger was going 100 mph when it hit that brick wall!  :brickwall:

well then ANY car would look like that after hitting a wall at that speed.
when racing deals fall apart.....you go home, like me.

RT DAVE

For the record the Charger was going 100 mph when it hit that brick wall!   :brickwall:

That makes me feel better. 
68 CHARGER RT<br />06 MAGNUM RT<br />02 INTREPID SXT

kikgas01

Charger_Croatia

Quote from: Lightning 06 on July 31, 2005, 09:41:12 PM

well then ANY car would look like that after hitting a wall at that speed.

Or even worse....Could be only parts around the wall    :scope:
'73 Charger with 400 (under restore)
2018 Infiniti Q50 Hybrid AWD Blue Sport

RD

i would like to see what a honda looks like after hitting a brick wall at 100 mph
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Ghoste

Are you sure?  I've read a few different speeds relating to that pic now.  Most have them claim it to be 75mph which is still plenty fast enough to accordianize a car but a lot slower than 100.

jmanscharger

Here's the article from TDC that puts the speed at 60. (not a clear copy, sorry, too big to attach)
http://www.geocities.com/dodge_charger_68rt/Crashtest.html?1008276905583
1968 Silver Charger RT
1969 Yellow Charger 440
1969 Charger General Lee Replica (rescued W.VA car)
1970 Charger RT Daytona Replica
Previous Chargers Owned 66, 68(2), 69(2), 70(3)

Ghoste

It makes more sense to test at that speed.  It's pretty much a given that any vehicle is going to be completely destroyed at 100 so why test at that speed?  If 60 is the maximum you are "supposed" to be driving, then why not see how the car performs there?

RT DAVE

The article was written in 1999 and the author doesn't reveal the source of his information.  Although it is an interesting story, I think that's all we can call this article. 
68 CHARGER RT<br />06 MAGNUM RT<br />02 INTREPID SXT

RD

"apparently the big three engineers were able to convice the federal government that to build a car to survive an impact at this speed was impractical"

ya think that could have been a good reason to MAKE the car turn out worse than what it normally would?  Maybe there was a little reverse engineering to make the crash a little more climactic than what it should have been to stop the Feds from interfering with the bottom dollar profit margin.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Ghoste

Well, don't forget that safety was their big opposition to Tucker and his car.  The thought at the time was that by featuring safety items, it'd be an admission that the cars were inherantly unsafe to begin with thus killing sales or worse, leaving themselves open to lawsuits.

andy74

:iagree:, i have been a fan of the tucker 48 since i was a little kid,and that was exactly why he got put out of buisness,the safety and technology he had would have cost the big 3 millions just to catch up-its only the last 10 years or so that the real safety qualities of vehicles has been true and shown to the public-thanks to new media,although i remember the scandal with the gm trucks and a flame thrower or something like that?

kikgas01

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722