News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

need help ASAP how to get bolts out of upper control arms

Started by bricklayer, July 26, 2009, 06:23:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bricklayer

i got the one out in the front but the rear seems tight i tried hitting it with hammer did not budge any suggestions, B body 1969

1969chargerrtse

Sorry, can't help you.  I was thinking tie rod ends when I first posted.  I edited this.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

TylerCharger69

A good stern breaker bar or perhaps a long pipe  so you can get enough leverage to break it

PA Dodger

I'm guessing it's rusted to the the bushing's inner sleeve like '69 Charger's were. I used alot of wd-40, some heat, and a hammer. When you are pounding on it put the nut back on about half way. Otherwise you will mushroom the end of the bolt and it wont go through the sleeve. I invented a few swear words while doing this job.

If you're lucky, the next post will say there's a special tool for this.
Dan  
'69 Charger / '69 Dart convertible/ '74 Cuda

bricklayer

Yep your right their a bitch to get off, or should say did'nt get off no heat yet just (Liquid) and big hammer. spray pound go to bed go to work come home spray pound on it go to bed get up go to work come home spray pound go to bed get up go to work come home spray pound well you get the point time for bed i have to get up and go to work come home spray pound go to bed shit i have to go ....to bed shit i did it again later i have  

bricklayer

i have everything disconnected from upper control arm front bolt is out and the nut and cam off the back i can push the ctrl arm up and down and it spins around the bolt but i still can not get it out it appears that it is not rusted to anything unless the bushing is spining around the ctrl arm also and the bolt is still rusted to the bushing could that be a possible thanks  tom

b5blue

Sadly yes it could be separated from the rubber bushing!Could you grind the head off?  :scratchchin:

PA Dodger

I don't think cutting the head off will get it. There will still be enough bolt shaft to keep it from coming out. At this point, if you're sure the bolt is rusted to the inner sleeve, i would suggest finding someone with a cut-off torch or plasma welder to torch the bushing on both sides. It's either that or spray... hammer...chisel...bed...spray...you get the picture. It will take you a lot of time or someone with a torch about 5 minutes. Your choice.
'69 Charger / '69 Dart convertible/ '74 Cuda

bricklayer

I bought a compressor and a little angle grinder 3" blade and sawzaw and plenty of adult words now ican move on to the next project!!!    thanks for the help  tom

TylerCharger69

Yes!!...Those adult 4-letter words can be most helpful!!!  I have a drawer in my roll-a-way full of 'em!!!  The tools that will never break or wear out!!!

375instroke

375instroke

Most importantly, destroy the most replaceable parts first.  First bolt and bushing.  If you can't get them out, sacrifice the control arm.  You can get a new one.  Protect the frame, wheel well, and attach point.  Put pieces of metal where a cutting tool may damage something important.

mopar_nut_440_6

Good luck as these can be a biatch. I had to literally heat mine up until the rubber caught on fire and burnt and it still took me a couple hours. Lots of heat and an air hammer did the trick. I am doing a full resto so the burning was not an issue. For you it may be.
1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

bricklayer

I just notice a problem after i got my bolt out. before i got the bolt out i had a friend come over to help get the bolt out he started before i got home from work and the first thing i noticed is that he got the cam bolt to turm 360" and he bent the tabs how would i correct this problem thanks  tom

mopar_nut_440_6

Quote from: bricklayer on September 06, 2009, 06:38:59 PM
I just notice a problem after i got my bolt out. before i got the bolt out i had a friend come over to help get the bolt out he started before i got home from work and the first thing i noticed is that he got the cam bolt to turm 360" and he bent the tabs how would i correct this problem thanks  tom

Hammer and punch.
1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude