News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Carter Carbeurator I.D. Numbers

Started by Mike1268, December 07, 2022, 03:21:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike1268

Hello all.  I'm trying to get some general info on Carter Carburetors.  The I.D. on my 69 Charger 383 4speed manual is "L8 4615 S"  My first question is on the suffix.  I've seen "S" and "SA".  I'm guessing "S" is for a manual transmission, and "SA" is for the automatic transmission.  Is this correct?  My second question is what is internally different between the manual and automatic transmission carburetors?   Thanks

A383Wing

the difference is going to be minor....either a small difference in jet size, and/or a small difference in metering rod size...either carb will work for you

Bryan

Mike1268

Thanks for your reply.  It's those minor differences that I'm looking for.  The carb that's on the car is original to the car and runs great.  I'm going to purchase the same model hopefully cheap and rebuild it just to have a spare. If I end up with an automatic version I'd like to have the specs to re-build it to the manual version.

A383Wing

the factory service manual will have the specs for each carb listed in the fuel section

Bryan

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Mike1268 on December 07, 2022, 03:21:46 PM
My first question is on the suffix.  I've seen "S" and "SA".  I'm guessing "S" is for a manual transmission, and "SA" is for the automatic transmission.  Is this correct?

No. All Carter carburetor numbers are followed with the letter 'S". Running engineering changes are designated by "SA", "SB", etc. A carb for a manual trans will have a completely different number than one for an automatic.

QuoteMy second question is what is internally different between the manual and automatic transmission carburetors?   Thanks

The difference could be any internal part i.e. jets, rods, springs and even entire boosters.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.