News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Slicks and inner tubes

Started by Ghoste, January 27, 2011, 12:25:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

Just trying to understand something here, when running drag slicks that require inner tubes, is that because of no sidewall strength in the tire or to retain air in those high hp/hard hookup cars where you are forced to screw the bead into the rim?

Cooter

Will NOT hold air...I tried...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Hissing Cobra

I agree with this assessment. I run Mickey Thompson ET Streets (close to their ET Drags) and it's recommended that tubes be used on them. I didn't bother using them and they lose air over time. The good news is that they hold air when I need them at the track (14 psi) and then lose air very slowly over time. A week after my track visit, they'll be empty.
1969 Dodge Charger 318/automatic - Gone and sorely missed.

1979 Mustang Cobra
Street, Strip, Show
306/T-5/4.30's
12.38 @ 111
August 2005 Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords Magazine Feature Car
April 2007 Modified Mustangs Magazine Feature Car

1989 Mustang LX
Stock Daily Driver
302/T-5/3.73's
14.66 @ 96

67440chrg

I have 275-60 r15 M/T ET street radials I only loose about 5psi dureing the 4 mo it is put away four winter. I normaly run 25 psi for cruising and 15 if I need the extra traction.

Cooter

Drag Slicks and street radials are a whole different thing...Bias ply Street DOT tires as well as Drag Slicks (Bias/Wrinklewall) will not hold air for very long...My Hoosiers go flat in about one week...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"