News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

900+hp Street/Strip HEMI Bullet

Started by Challenger340, October 24, 2012, 11:48:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Challenger340

I am pretty happy with this Pump Gas Street/Strip HEMI Bullet :icon_smile_big:....So is the Customer.

I was a little skeptical we could get there when the Customer first requested "Plus 800 on Pump Gas, WITH a streetable Cam profile".....that was the disturbing criterion for me. You see....making power with low Octane pump fuel can be done...been there... done THAT lots...albeit the trade off usually comes at the expense of reliability with BASHER cam ramps that...well...just do NOT last in a true street driven environment.

So, here was the challenge on this one...make it REAL, make it SANE Cam-wise, and VERY 92 Octane friendly....and for a long time GOOD Customer such as this guy was...we went to work.

Kudo's to Bob, and Chase Knight at CRANE CAMS....those guys went to WORK, lotsa back & forth on the Flow data....they thought I was NUTS !

Big Thanks to Tim @ FHO.....his initial CNC Flow Program is the shiat....he's a REAL GUY ! His outa the box stuff is a great building block.

Same goes a big THANKS to Mike Panetta at Diamond Pistons for the extra effort working on the 3D Chamber molds we forwarded....real Professionals @ Diamond ! The Pistons were a work of art !

Who says old school ain't cool anymore ?
Especially when you got over 900hp on tap, and you can fill it at the corner gas station on 92 Octane ?

Very safe & soft tune...look at the sheets...NO detonation whatsoever, runs really good, cool & clean.
We started the session at 32* timing, NEVER changed it, never chased power....just jetted until happy and left it alone.
LOTS MORE left in this puppy we could have chased ie: Vacuum pump, more Header....but ENOUGH is ENOUGH...no point chasing closer to 1,000, albeit, now I am curious for next time ?

The basics;
KB water Block
4.5" Stroke
4.5" Bore
Eagle Crank
Eagle Rods
Diamond Pistons(proprietary R & D, low C.R. Dome Config)
Stage V Heads(lotta R & D), but all on the stock geometry/angle Valves, NO modified Angles !
INDY 2x 850 cfm 4150 Carbs
CRANE Custom Roller Cam, .628" Intake & .614" Exh Net Lift @ Valve(Streetable)

Only wimps wear Bowties !

Ghoste

Crane cams is a name you don't hear much anymore when Mopar cams are mentioned.  Nice build.

firefighter3931

Great stuff Bob  :2thumbs:

Wow, those heads must be moving some serious air to make that kind of power with just over .600 valve lift.  :icon_smile_big: Nice work with this combo  :bow:

Those 4150 carbs seem to be working extremely well !  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Steve P.

Damn nice build Bob.. I wonder how much more is still in there?? Not like you'd ever know it on the street.. ;)
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

BSB67

Very cool.  Thanks for posting.  Very impressive.

Can you share the final compression ratio?  I suspect that between the aluminum block, the 26" baro number, custom piston, and cam design make a livable CR number surprising.  Looks like normal cooling verses reverse cooling, correct?

My guess the hp numbers don't really start going down until the low 7000's.

:2thumbs: :2thumbs:

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

Challenger340

Quote from: Steve P. on October 30, 2014, 10:59:29 PM
Damn nice build Bob.. I wonder how much more is still in there?? Not like you'd ever know it on the street.. ;)

Oh we found LOTS more !
Have a look at the Dyno sheet to 6800 ? it was still climbing even on this tune !
but we had to choose an "operating range", so this was a nice safe back down.

Challenger340

Quote from: BSB67 on November 01, 2014, 09:37:08 AM
Very cool.  Thanks for posting.  Very impressive.

Can you share the final compression ratio?  I suspect that between the aluminum block, the 26" baro number, custom piston, and cam design make a livable CR number surprising.  Looks like normal cooling verses reverse cooling, correct?

My guess the hp numbers don't really start going down until the low 7000's.

:2thumbs: :2thumbs:

"Dynamic" Cylinder Pressure was VERY safe for 92 Octane at Sea Level on a HOT Day !... we could have used far more actual "Compression Ratio".
Yep, standard cooling.
Can tune for mid 7,000's if required... no need !
This Elephant was capable of FAR more power than on this sheet ... this was a "backed down" Run at 8:00 pm end of the day, but still over 900hp @ 6800 rpm, and a very safe.... "good to go".

I don't like stuff leaving "on the edge" ?
BIG number or NOT... that's up to the Customer later if he wants to put it "back there"... his choice !
I'll prove it's "there" for them at the Dyno.... but before it leaves it's back to what I deem very safe, and can't hurt itself, nor can he under 7,000 rpm with ANY "Premium" un-leaded pump gas.

Kinda nice re-visiting this 2 years later ? I spoke with the Customer about 2 weeks ago.... all is great after 2 seasons on the Street  :2thumbs:... other than he is trying different Convertor to try and hook the damn thing better at the track ? Seems 9's on a full weight B-Body ain't enough ?
He says "it is a Fawking ANIMAL".... Nobody's ever seen anything like this !!
Old School still works !

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

1974dodgecharger

WOW, 900HP and NOT a blower and pump gas....insane.