News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Superbird latch tray and nosecone to fender clearance issue

Started by oldcarnut, February 15, 2017, 07:31:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldcarnut

I'm mounting and mocking up the fenders, nosecone, and other front end parts to check fits etc. on the car body.  When mounting the cone, it wants to but up flush against the fenders, currently no seal in place, and the latch tray bolt holes aren't close enough to run the bolts thru. Approx. about 1/2" more is needed to align it up.The fenders are almost touching the doors and firewall as it is so there is no room to adjust back further.   The latch tray is 10 1/2" wide and the radiator support bracket is 1 1/2" wide.  Its Janaks better stuff, and Coronet steel fenders. Other than making a wider support bracket to compensate, what am I missing or doing wrong?

Hemi Runner

Can you post up some pictures to help see what is going on? Maybe it's just a stack up of tolerances and some hole slotting over all the parts might get it.  :shruggy:

oldcarnut

One area circled in red shows that the cone edge is right against the fender recess edge leaving no room to go in further. The fender itself has no more room to go back closer to the firewall.  The other shows where the bolt holes aren't close enough to line up.  Everything was good until I installed the fenders.  The picture looks like there is a little fudge room on the tray but in reality if I slotted even more I'd be on the outer edges of the tray which wouldn't' be much under the washer and also being fiberglass, not too strong.  Initially was wondering if the bracket or tray was the right width to start with. Possibly I may have to bend a wider radiator support bracket to get it bolting up good. 

Hemi Runner

It looks like the latch tray should move back and then would engage both the holes on the nose and the holes in the radiator support bracket. Anything preventing that?

oldcarnut

The picture makes it appear that it might but it would be on the extreme edge of both sides without a full bolt diameter engaged.  That would also be only with the cone edge crammed up against the fender.  Backing the cone off a little would not be able to bolt it.  I'm going to try a couple more things but it's pretty iffy for now that I can get it adjusted close enough to attach proper.

Hemi Runner

Then it appears that the only correction would be a new radiator support bracket that's wider than the one you have or a wider latch tray.

62 Max

You also have no room for the seal.

DAY CLONA

Quote from: oldcarnut on February 15, 2017, 07:31:11 PM
I'm mounting and mocking up the fenders, nosecone, and other front end parts to check fits etc. on the car body.  When mounting the cone, it wants to but up flush against the fenders, currently no seal in place, and the latch tray bolt holes aren't close enough to run the bolts thru. Approx. about 1/2" more is needed to align it up.The fenders are almost touching the doors and firewall as it is so there is no room to adjust back further.   The latch tray is 10 1/2" wide and the radiator support bracket is 1 1/2" wide.  Its Janaks better stuff, and Coronet steel fenders. Other than making a wider support bracket to compensate, what am I missing or doing wrong?

All your dimensions posted sound good, the nose cone flange is rather skimpy on the bird (1" on the edges, 1 5/8" wide in the center) so it leaves little for adjustment, remember the Bird was a compromise, using some Daytona stuff to cut down on costs, the latch tray is basically a Daytona latchtray turned 180 degrees with the flanges/tips trimmed down/off
Most original Superbirds usually have the flange bolts on the latch tray trailing off the edge, it's technically correct, but often looks like crap  ::)

In the wingcar "world" of assembly things have a way of just needing correction even with stock original/NOS parts, your best alternative is to make a slightly wider rear brace for the latchtray, or re-glass the front nosecone flange wider in width, or both, keep in mind the safety latch location/engagement and hood spring location when moving the tray fore or aft

Mike