News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Where does the Tach wire come through the firewall on a 70 B-Body

Started by troy.70R/T, August 20, 2008, 08:20:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troy.70R/T

I have asked this question before and got an answer but it does not make sense to me. the pic I got showed the tach wire coming through the firewall between the bulkhead connector and the master cylinder and under where what looks like some vaccume lines come out. I am just wondering is this for a 70 B-Body? because mine is an origional 440 R/T and there is no hole in the firewall for the tach wire. Could some of them have been wired through the bulk head connector? Does any one have a pick of a 1970 B-body tach harness where it comes through the firewall? Please help this is kicking my *@!

Rolling_Thunder

upper right corner...    big rubber plug in the firewall with a single wire coming out of it...     1970 Tic Toc Tac wiring...    came through the firewall here and only here.
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

troy.70R/T

Ok yes I have that plug with wires on it. Does it have two wires and a connector just like the Valance lights?

cpthowdy1369

DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!!

cpthowdy1369

nevermind,  I went and looked at mine and it is not there.

Can someone tell me where exactly the gray wire for the tach comes through the firewall on a 69 charger? 

The wires were not taken out when the engine bay was painted (before I owned it) and now almost all of the wires are black.

thank you for your help

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: cpthowdy1369 on November 19, 2008, 11:26:49 AM
is that the same on a 69 charger?

Its lower below the vacc harness& the grommet is different....single gray wire
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

cpthowdy1369

here is what my charger looks like in that area.  as you can see I think there is a little plug in the place where the grommet and wire is supposed to be.  Am I correct?  There is a factory tic toc tach in the instrument panel.

69 OUR/TEA

Actually,no that plug is not where it goes,go up about 1/2'' and to the right about 1/2'' you will see a dimple going in,this is where the factory put a locating mark for items such as this.You need to drill a 7/8'' hole.Your green highlight circle has a little straight line going right over in the pic so you cannot see,it's there.

69 OUR/TEA

cpthowdy1369

wow, so my charger never had the tach hooked up.  Then somebody switched out the instrument panel to include the tach. :o  well holy crap :-\  I guess my charger wasn't as factory original as I thought.

cpthowdy1369

69 OUR/TEA

Is the fender tag still on it?You would see N85 for the tach.

cpthowdy1369

the fender tag is there but there is no N85  does anyone have a pic of  the gauges without the tach?

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: cpthowdy1369 on November 21, 2008, 07:38:01 PM
the fender tag is there but there is no N85  does anyone have a pic of  the gauges without the tach?
Clock only.....

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

cpthowdy1369

Man, I appreciate your help.  Come to find out, I didn't have the tic toc tach after all.  I just have the clock.  If it weren't for you, I would be drilling unnecessary holes in my fire wall and trying to hook up the coil to a non existant tach.  Thank you very much. :bow:

Just 6T9 CHGR

No problem.  Believe me you are not alone...it is a VERY commonn mistake!
BTW this is the tic-toc-tach
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

70charginglizard

Quote from: cpthowdy1369 on November 19, 2008, 09:11:08 PM
here is what my charger looks like in that area.  as you can see I think there is a little plug in the place where the grommet and wire is supposed to be.  Am I correct?  There is a factory tic toc tach in the instrument panel.
What is that dimple he circled in green supose to be use for? Just curious... :scratchchin:
70charginglizard

Dans 68

Quote from: troy.70R/T on August 20, 2008, 08:20:33 PM
...the pic I got showed the tach wire coming through the firewall between the bulkhead connector and the master cylinder and under where what looks like some vacuum lines come out. I am just wondering is this for a 70 B-Body? Because mine is an original 440 R/T and there is no hole in the firewall for the tach wire. Could some of them have been wired through the bulk head connector? Does any one have a pick of a 1970 B-body tach harness where it comes through the firewall?....

Hmm, are you referring to this pic from this thread http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,68131.msg764938.html#msg764938 ? I guess I was not clear that the tach wire is routed through the factory dimpled location that you need to drill if it did not come with a factory tach. Glad to hear you are squared away.  :2thumbs:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

70charginglizard

actually I was more curious about that dimpled  hole just below it and inbd of it. but by the looks of that other post it looks like its used for one of the inside insulation tab clips. I think I understand now.  :2thumbs:
70charginglizard