News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

HOLY CRAP!!!!!

Started by TruckDriver, August 31, 2005, 05:11:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger_Fan

Quote from: PocketThunder on August 31, 2005, 12:38:36 PM
i'm selling my house right now and one reason is because i cant afford to heat it anymore.   Its a 1906 with bad windows and no insulation.  
My lips are sealed, I won't tell that to anyone interested in your house. :icon_smile_big:

I think I'll tune up my daily driver now...maybe I can squeak another MPG out of it. :scratchchin:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

The Mad Scientist

I heard from someone in the oil and gas industry that $3.11 was a magic number.  It's based on calculations of

S.U.V.'s

Loans on S.U.V.'s

Cost of maint.

Cost of gasoline

And other various factors I have forgotten  ;D

The formula is designed to find the price at which the average person can no longer afford to buy gasoline. 

I wonder if that has something to do with the riots that are starting to pop up?  ( warning warning sarcasm detected sarcasm detected )

TruckDriver

I was listening to a talk radio show this morning and they actually got one of the state regulaters that regulate the states gas prices to ADMIT that part of the reason they raise the gas prices higher then they need to be is to discurage people from driving so much. But he also said that it is NOT working. Well DAAA! :flame:
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

twilt

Here in the Atlanta area  this evening there is chaos. people lining up at gas stations to fill up. many stations have run out. The corner store near my house
raised their prices to $4.89 a gallon. I believe it was $2.59 this morning. There were people inside the store cussing out the emplyees (indian owned and operated) and employess cussing back at the irate customers.  I really thought it might become violent. i understand that someone called the newspaper and tv satations to report the gouging. under pressure, they did drop it to $3.89 At my job, there was rumor being spread that the governor had ordered all pumps to be shut off at 6pm.   Grocery stores are also mobbed. My wife went to Autozone this evening to return a incorrect radiator that i had bought for my truck. Sales of locking gas caps was extremely high. apparently there has been a lot of gas siphoning going on today. One customer stated that his had been siphoned empty in broad daylight. Tonight,  i am going to park our vehicles side by side as to make the gas caps inaccessible. I sure  hope tommorow is a better day. 

ChargerBill

Hey guys, stop making sense and just let the conspiracy theorists pontificate...or was that "deficate"...I always get those two mixed up. :icon_smile_tongue:

Hey, no one LIKES paying this much for gas...maybe it's time to get over it.

BTW: with all these chicken littles running around (Jim...you're right on target) here I'm feeling like we should start a big DodgeCharger Chicken BBQ...I want a breast - white or dark meat anyone?
Life is a highway...

NHCharger

Quote from: RD on August 31, 2005, 03:43:13 PM
Quote from: NHCharger on August 31, 2005, 02:10:56 PM
How does $4.00/gallon sound?
http://money.cnn.com/2005/08/31/news/gas_prices/index.htm?cnn=yes

i am moving to live with Nacho down in Venezuela.

Read an interesting article yesterday. Even with all the oil money now pouring into Venezuela the inflation rate this year is at 18%. Next year they are predicting 25%.

Over on moparts there was a thread (now locked of course) about gas prices. I replied that after seeing the pics of New Orleans and the surrounding areas I felt guilty about complaining about gas prices. A mod deleted my post, apparently it was  to offensive.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

BigBlackDodge

Quote from: twilt on August 31, 2005, 06:29:52 PM
Here in the Atlanta area   this evening there is chaos. people lining up at gas stations to fill up. many stations have run out. The corner store near my house
raised their prices to $4.89 a gallon. I believe it was $2.59 this morning. There were people inside the store cussing out the emplyees (indian owned and operated) and employess cussing back at the irate customers.   I really thought it might become violent. i understand that someone called the newspaper and tv satations to report the gouging. under pressure, they did drop it to $3.89 At my job, there was rumor being spread that the governor had ordered all pumps to be shut off at 6pm.     Grocery stores are also mobbed. My wife went to Autozone this evening to return a incorrect radiator that i had bought for my truck. Sales of locking gas caps was extremely high. apparently there has been a lot of gas siphoning going on today. One customer stated that his had been siphoned empty in broad daylight. Tonight,   i am going to park our vehicles side by side as to make the gas caps inaccessible. I sure   hope tommorow is a better day.  

I think gouging is illegal in Ga only when a 'state of emgergency' has been issued.....................this should has been done if only to prevent the 4.89 a gallon idiots. I would never do buisness with that store again............for anything, ever! Last year Ga did issue a state of emergency when all the storms hit Florida, this in my opinion keep all the hotel/gas station owners from reaming everyone coming for refuge.

BBD

volk68

I don't expect the government to control gas prices or get into heavy regulation, but there are some things they really could stand to do in this situation.  Chief among those things is to REDUCE TAXES on gasoline  :o  The tax rate per gallon of gasoline hasn't dropped one bit, despite the open public outcry.  I don't know about you, but I would be more than happy to let 1 or 2 road projects languish for another year if it would reduce gas prices to a more reasonable rate.  My understanding is that some 36% of the final price per gallon of fuel is tax.  That is a substantial amount of money per gallon and a significant reduction in it would be a huge savings to anyone with any real length of commute.

Furthermore, the government can dramatically reduce the cost of gas in the long term by taking a much more economically rational approach to gasoline refinement and environmentalism.    Environmentalists should not be allowed to override refinery expansion if it is shown to be in the best interest of the vast majority of citizens.  They can also reach better compromises on fuel additives and other cost raising factors. 

In short, the government could help with this problem.  They can't completely fix it, but they could sure lessen the burden a bit.

volk68

Quote from: NHCharger on August 31, 2005, 07:46:44 PM
Over on moparts there was a thread (now locked of course) about gas prices. I replied that after seeing the pics of New Orleans and the surrounding areas I felt guilty about complaining about gas prices. A mod deleted my post, apparently it was  to offensive.

I don't think it is offensive, and I can understand what you are thinking here.  That said, while I feel horrible about the hurricane and the damage it did down south, I don't feel any less concerned about the growing number of rural Americans that are being put in really serious bind over fuel costs.  There are a lot of different businesses that will really struggle to survive this gas crisis, and lots of families that could suffer some serious ramifications as well.  One tragedy doesn't overshadow another.

Troy

I need to find a source for where to send complaints about gouging. Around here, most stations are $3.05-3.09 for regular but one station down the road was $3.69. During 9/11 I think they said to notify the District Attorney but I'll have to verify that. From what I understand the owners can still be prosecuted even without a state of emergency declared.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Troy

Quote from: volk68 on August 31, 2005, 07:54:16 PM
I don't expect the government to control gas prices or get into heavy regulation, but there are some things they really could stand to do in this situation.  Chief among those things is to REDUCE TAXES on gasoline  :o  The tax rate per gallon of gasoline hasn't dropped one bit, despite the open public outcry.  I don't know about you, but I would be more than happy to let 1 or 2 road projects languish for another year if it would reduce gas prices to a more reasonable rate.  My understanding is that some 36% of the final price per gallon of fuel is tax.  That is a substantial amount of money per gallon and a significant reduction in it would be a huge savings to anyone with any real length of commute.

I posted the data on RD's thread about lowering the speed limits. The Federal Gas Tax is 18.4 cents per gallon and the average state tax is 22 cents per gallon. It isn't a percentage of the cost so as the price goes up the percentage taken in is less (and demand drops so the revenue generated goes down as well). The government wants us to buy more gas in this case so it is in their best interest to have lower prices.

Troy

volk68

If the tax is hard set the government only loses money as demand for the product is reduced.  While this may happen, it's not as if the government had suddenly removed their +\-.36 cents per gallon, therefore, they make the same money per gallon as they always did.  Until there is clear evidence that demand and purchasing of fuel has declined, the government is still getting all of their cut.  My proposal is that they at least lessen their cut during a fuel crunch like this.

TheGhost

You know they are never gonna do that.  The Goverment does not like to lessen the ammount of $$ they take in.  Would be nice, though.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

Troy

I was just stating the actual numbers - what they will do with it is a different matter. Most all of the revenue goes to the highway department so hopefully it isn't squandered on a bunch of useless stuff (other than those walking/biking trails added to this year's budget - they aren't highways).

Troy

Bluebeast

It's gonna be like the Road Warrior pretty soon...looking for the juice.
1970 Dodge Charger 500 SE 4speed

Charger_Fan

Quote from: Bluebeast on August 31, 2005, 10:55:32 PM
It's gonna be like the Road Warrior pretty soon...looking for the juice.
Hah! That's what I keep thinking of too!  :icon_smile_big:

I guess in New Orleans right now, it would be more like Waterworld. :smilielol:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Steve P.

Quote from: ChargerBill on August 31, 2005, 07:02:42 PM
Hey guys, stop making sense and just let the conspiracy theorists pontificate...or was that "deficate"...I always get those two mixed up. :icon_smile_tongue:

:hah: :hah: :hah: :hah: :hah: :hah: :hah:     I needed a good laugh!!
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida