News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dodge Charger Daytona #6 at the 1970 New York Auto Show, April 4-12th.

Started by odcics2, July 30, 2018, 08:19:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

odcics2

Quote from: Aero426 on September 19, 2018, 04:34:28 PM
Quote from: 6bblgt on September 19, 2018, 03:37:53 PM
.... but the '70 Riverside car does not have side glass, would they have reinstalled it for the show car?

The short answer is that it is possible.   The inside upper door frame with glass regulator attached could be reattached to the mounting tabs on the roll cage.  If the car was a short track car and never had side glass, my opinion is that it becomes less likely.  

It is also possible that road race brake drums were swapped around off the Riverside car.      With bolt on parts, anything is possible.  

A key question is,  does the museum #6 have the cover plate for lead storage in the left rear wheelhouse?  

Also, does the museum #6 have evidence of the right side fuel fill inside the trunk?

Take the recent photo I posted of the car and take a good look into the rear wheelhouse.
You will see a bolt head. (holding a cover plate)
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Mopar John

Just wondering if any more details to help which one is which?
MJ

odcics2

Quote from: Aero426 on September 19, 2018, 04:46:33 PM
Same dash today.   For reasons unknown, the original Nichels Engineering supplied carpeting has been removed.

Gas pedal dress up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   :scratchchin:

Aero426

How could the same actual race car be at the Alabama 500  the weekend of April 11-12, and at the New York Auto Show the same time?    ::)

Aero426

New York Auto show advertisement.    Ends on the same weekend as Talladega.   

odcics2

Aero426

I was handed the following vintage press release yesterday at a model car swap meet.     It came from a friend who has the files of a local racing newspaper that is now defunct.    My friend had no idea of the significance.   He just keeps an eye open for things I might find interesting.     This one has some good information on the surviving #6 Daytona race car.

The press release is from Darlington Raceway and is from September 1973.    The #6 Daytona was formally donated to the Joe Weatherly Stock Car Museum by Chrysler on race morning of the Southern 500, 9/3/73.    

The press release has a couple pieces of misinformation.    One is the citation of it being the "first stock car to run over 200 mph on a closed course" .       Well, yes, that was a Daytona.    Just not this one.  We know this from period photos of the record run and the ABC Wide World of Sports video on You Tube.

The second piece of misinformation is that the car was the Southern 500 winner.    We know from period photos the museum car and the actual race winning car are not the same.  

The takeaway from the press release is the following statement:  
"Owens and Baker were the major forces in getting Dodge to donate the duplicate copy of Dodge Daytona #6 to the Museum."

Aero426

The complete press release.     The 24th Southern 500 was run on September 3, 1973.

Aero426

odcics2

The "73" on the bottom right of the photo is the release date.    :yesnod:

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

odcics2

Anyone else notice the extreme flair on the front fender of the #6 Daytona in the press release photo?
Looks like the back edge would be grabbing the air as it travelled along the side of the car!  Yikes!

Aero426

Quote from: odcics2 on December 26, 2018, 09:17:30 PM

Anyone else notice the extreme flair on the front fender of the #6 Daytona in the press release photo?
Looks like the back edge would be grabbing the air as it travelled along the side of the car!  Yikes!
Sure looks that way.    COG was known for not following performance recommendations that had been proven to work.    To be fair, he was not the only one.   

odcics2

Quote from: Aero426 on December 28, 2018, 03:10:37 PM
Quote from: odcics2 on December 26, 2018, 09:17:30 PM

Sure looks that way.    COG was known for not following performance recommendations that had been proven to work.    To be fair, he was not the only one.   

No wonder the #6 never broke 200 mph!      :whistling:

odcics2

Anyone have any pics of other auto shows, back in the day, that show the #6 Showcar Daytona?

Maybe LA or Atlanta??

odcics2

:popcrn: :popcrn: Any photo updates?  Any other auto shows that had the #6 there?   LA? Atlanta?   :popcrn: :popcrn: