News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Warning if you are using stealth heads.

Started by mally69, October 08, 2008, 12:08:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mally69

My opinion, go for the stealth heads they flow as good as the edelbrock ones and they are less money, just make sure you get the good locks and retainers   :2thumbs:

1Bad70Charger

Quote from: mally69 on December 27, 2009, 10:26:48 AM
My opinion, go for the stealth heads they flow as good as the edelbrock ones and they are less money, just make sure you get the good locks and retainers   :2thumbs:

:cheers:
48 year old Self Employed Trial Lawyer (I fight the ambulance chasers); 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner A12 Tribute Car, Built 505ci; Silver 2008 Hemi Dodge Challenger SRT8, Black 2006 Corvette Z06 427ci LS7-Keep God First, Family Second and Horsepower Third.  Interests:  God, Fast American Cars (old and new), Classic Muscle Cars, German Sheperds, Guns, Animals and the Great Outdoors (sick of Chicago).

Chatt69chgr

Really need to have the heads checked out by a machine shop.  Some have had to have a valve seat touched up to seal properly.  Just had to have that valve lapped in.  Also the valve guide clearance.  Every one of mine had virtually no clearance and had to be reamed to get the right clearance.  Of course, I replace the valve locks and retainers and while I was at it the valve guide seals.  You buy these parts and pay someone to do what I have indicated and you start approaching what the Eddie head costs.  I am assuming that it doesn't need any of this work.  But it's been drilled in to me that no matter who you buy a head from, you have to have it checked out.  All in all, the 440 Source head is a good value I think.  Just don't forget that if you find porosity in the head after their 30 days or whatever it is, then too bad.  They don't stand behind their products after that short time period. I bet that if you found porosity in a Eddie head a year later they would replace it no questions asked.

mally69

Quote from: Chatt69chgr on December 29, 2009, 10:56:12 PM
Really need to have the heads checked out by a machine shop.  Some have had to have a valve seat touched up to seal properly.  Just had to have that valve lapped in.  Also the valve guide clearance.  Every one of mine had virtually no clearance and had to be reamed to get the right clearance.  Of course, I replace the valve locks and retainers and while I was at it the valve guide seals.  You buy these parts and pay someone to do what I have indicated and you start approaching what the Eddie head costs.  I am assuming that it doesn't need any of this work.  But it's been drilled in to me that no matter who you buy a head from, you have to have it checked out.  All in all, the 440 Source head is a good value I think.  Just don't forget that if you find porosity in the head after their 30 days or whatever it is, then too bad.  They don't stand behind their products after that short time period. I bet that if you found porosity in a Eddie head a year later they would replace it no questions asked.

In my opinion it doesnt matter what heads you buy they all need their guides and seats checked . as for the comment about eddy heads and thier porosity, i would highly doubt they would do anything about it if it wasnt immediatly reported after purchase.  :Twocents:

dkn1997

:iagree:

ask anyone who knows anything about anything and they will say that even 5000.00 heads have issues and should never be taken out of the box and bolted on.

As for the warranty, The only advantage I'd see with edelbrock is that you could F up your own heads by doing something stupid and you may be able to con them into warranty for damage because they are a big company and you may get the "right" person on the phone.  440 source is a smaller operation and you are less likely to be able to run a game on them since the guy you would be talking to actually owns the company in most cases....which makes sense since being a smaller company , they can't just go around absorbing bogus warranty like edelbrock could. 
RECHRGED

71runner

i like the fact that the stealth heads can be painted and look like factory iron, but can you still fit factory valve covers over the roller rockers from 440 source? assuming you wanted to keep your build looking as factory as possible...

Steve P.

You should say: (Assuming you WANT to use 440 SOURCE ROLLER ROCKERS).... They are NOT recommended by MOST....
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

AKcharger

I'm still happy with mine, but I did change out the locks and retainers

ramblinn

Good info here, thx all.  I'm considering stealth heads for my 440 rebuild (70 Road Runner).  440source site says OK to use stock rocker arms/shafts.  Is anyone doing this on their rigs?

Steve P.

Hello all.  Been a while as things are kind of tough right now, but I ran into a buddy the other day that used a set of 440 Source heads on a customers car. (Customer supplied all parts). The long and short of this is that one of the heads CRACKED. There was not allot of time/miles on this very fresh motor but it is a " blown " motor. The blower is very under-driven.  and this motor stays under 190* all the time..
So my buddy called 440 Source and told them of this problem. They recommended he pull the head and call back with the 440 Source ID numbers. He did and they told him that : (YES, we did have a bad run of heads that were made poorly. They said to pack it up, (1) head, and send it back to them that they would replace the (1) head. Even though they know they came from the same batch and that the motor has not even been put through it's paces yet.... Then they would NOT pay the shipping due to the heads being bought a while before they developed the problem. This motor was put together months ago by a machine shop and got a few pulls on the dyno. No leaks were reported at that time.

I should also mention that most of the needed parts for this motor CAME from 440 Source all at the same time. Crank, bearings, heads, rockers, ignition, water pump, WP housing, brackets, balancer etc etc...

I can say this, when I do get back on my tools and it comes motor time I WILL NOT be using 440 Source parts nor will I ever again recommend them to anyone. I know that ALL manufacturing companies have their own problems, but this company has turned me against them all on their own...

Happy motoring....
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Challenger340

Thats a Bummer Steve P.
I hope the other Head doesn't crack down the road, THAT would REALLY suck !

If there is a Bright Side, at least they are replacing the one Head ?
Better than a "Poke in the eye" with a sharp stick ?

No matter, the Money on those parts sells itself,
"Made in China" seems to me to infer, "you pays yer money, you takes yer chances" ?

NOT that alot of it doesn't work just fine, IT DOES !,
Just,
That there IS A DIFFERENCE from "MADE IN THE U.S.A." !

I'm a sick man !
I like to stack all the Cranks in "Lines" at the Shop.
I ALWAYS make sure, to put a CALLIES or CROWER Crank at the end of each Line, facing out.
so when Guys "look",
They SEE the differences !
Eagle, Eagle, SCAT, 440Source, Eagle, Then a CROWER !
next Line,
Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, then the CALLIES !

When I get asked, and I do ALOT,
I then make sure to go get a Micrometer, and Further SHOW the DIFFERENCES !

The "MADE IN U.S.A." stuff is literally PERFECT, and so much nicer to work with !
Better Forgings, Better Machining, and PERDIER !

I do the same in the Head Shop as well.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

Steve P.

Yeah, and tac on to that $100.00 per head gasket for the blower motor and let's not forget the coolant in the pan... 

I meant to mention that the crack on this head was visible from the bottom set of head bolts. Coolant was running out of the base of the head...
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Cooter

My thinking is this....As long as there's "Made In The USA" for HUGE $$$ and "Made In China" for little $$$, the little money will almost ALWAYS win out in the end....Only when something like this happens, do people think about spending the big bucks..

If 440source can get at least most of the people to "Try" their product at least ONCE, then they have made a killing..Doesn't even matter if they are around in 5 years, they've made their money...Everybody has the simple choice of buying that high Dollar Stroker set up from Callies, or Kellogg but they will opt for the cheapest first and THIS is how 440source makes money...

Now if we could only get Kellogg, Callies, etc. to sell their stroker kits for what 440source sells theirs for, we'd not only buy American, we wouldn't have to complain about cracked Cylinder heads..
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Musicman

Well ,when you all find that PERFECT manufacture that puts out a PERFECTLY FLAWLESS line of products each and every time, you let the rest of know about them OK, because those of us who still live in the real world, we haven't heard of them yet.  :lol:

Steve P.

The purpose of my post is to let others know exactly what is what with a problem. All manufacturing has it's own problems. ALL... The major difference is what they do to correct them and how they handle the affected parts and customers. Buying anything from anyone is always a gamble. We must be willing to take that gamble if we want the merchandise. BUT,,, do you research the merchandise or just go for the cheapest merchandise? Is that gamble the BEST and SMARTEST deal you can make. What will it cost me in the long run?  Cheap crappy rockers can take out a very expensive build. As can a coolant leak. If I have done my homework and know from other peoples experiences that I have a low chance of being happy with a part or a company I am NOT buying from them.   

Yes, money talks. BUT is it right or fair to make a product that you know has problems and continue to pass along the inferior product? We are NOT talking SWAP MEET PARTS here. We ARE talking about a company that is supposed to be reputable.  Well, reputation is a major part of how I decide where I buy my parts.  I chose my doctors the same way. If they have a reputation for patients croaking on the table or cutting off the wrong hands I am not going to seek his help. If I want to end it all quick I will call Kevorkian.   Yes. You know that name and his REPUTATION.....
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Challenger340

Quote from: Cooter on May 20, 2010, 05:42:49 PM
My thinking is this....As long as there's "Made In The USA" for HUGE $$$ and "Made In China" for little $$$, the little money will almost ALWAYS win out in the end....Only when something like this happens, do people think about spending the big bucks..

If 440source can get at least most of the people to "Try" their product at least ONCE, then they have made a killing..Doesn't even matter if they are around in 5 years, they've made their money...Everybody has the simple choice of buying that high Dollar Stroker set up from Callies, or Kellogg but they will opt for the cheapest first and THIS is how 440source makes money...

Now if we could only get Kellogg, Callies, etc. to sell their stroker kits for what 440source sells theirs for, we'd not only buy American, we wouldn't have to complain about cracked Cylinder heads..

Thats exactly the point Cooter, Kellog & Callies CAN NOT sell their stuff for the same price as 440source, because, It's NOT the same stuff ?

The Only way they could make THEIR STUFF the same as the "Chinese" Junk, would be to FIRE all the "GOOD GUYS earning a decent wage, and go hire a BUNCH of cheapdumb Labor ?
Only wimps wear Bowties !

Purple440

So why do we have to buy Edlebrock heads and then buy new headers that fit because of the raise plug angle?  Is there an option that isn't 440 source for good heads that aren't 452 remakes?  Seems like Eddy focuses on Ford and Chevy. 

1Bad70Charger

Quote from: 1Bad70Charger on December 27, 2009, 02:03:10 AM
So several months later what is everyone's feedback on the 440source alum. 440 Cylinder heads, now thta we have been told that we should upgrade to the stonger locks and retainers.

I am about to pull the trigger on these with the upgraded locks and retainers and do you owner give a :2thumbs: on this decision, vs paying 50 to 75% more vs the Eddy ALum heads and Mopar 452 Alum. Heads! 

Thanks in advance for your feedback!  :cheers:

Disregard my above posts as I found some brand new 84 cc Eddy Heads in the box from a private party for $1,250 shipped!  :cheers:
48 year old Self Employed Trial Lawyer (I fight the ambulance chasers); 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner A12 Tribute Car, Built 505ci; Silver 2008 Hemi Dodge Challenger SRT8, Black 2006 Corvette Z06 427ci LS7-Keep God First, Family Second and Horsepower Third.  Interests:  God, Fast American Cars (old and new), Classic Muscle Cars, German Sheperds, Guns, Animals and the Great Outdoors (sick of Chicago).

defiance

Unfortunately I haven't had enough road time to give mine any real feedback... What little bit I have had has been good, but everytime I get nearly done I decide to back up and "improve" something :P

Right now I theoretically just have to rebuild the exhaust, clean up some minor rewiring I did, put the driveshaft back in, do fluid check, and start it again......  But before I do that I want to put in the lift I just got (maxjax) and redo the lighting in my garage...  and to do that I need time, which simply hasn't been there for the past month or two... :/

oldcarnut

I also fitted the comp cams 10 degrees retainers and locks.
But I used these and noticed the compressed height increased by about 0.040", so I am going to get shims under the springs to compensate.
CCA-613-16 (locks)
CCA-748-16 (retainers)
I'm going to measure the actual compressed spring force with the shims, will let you know the results when I have them.

Frederick

I know this was posted a long time ago but I didn't see anywhere a post on the pressure results of the shims or without.  Do you remember?   I bought a set of the heads and had them checked over and the shop said sealing, clearances etc were good out the box but did a valve lap on them anyway.  Also had the 10* parts installed but just curious as what the consenses came out on the spring pressure.  Haven't seen much discussion on how many used the shims or did not.  Sometimes the more I read I wonder if I take in too much info.

frederick

You'll have a hard time looking for them, they weren't posted as I don't have the results.
I had problems with the standard, stamped rockers, some where touching the valve retainers so I went with different springs.

I did pressure test those to set the right installed height, but I don't think you'll have much use for those results.

If you've got bathroom scales and a caliper it's pretty easy to check them yourself.
Otherwise check the installed height before and after installing the comp cam locks and retainers, and shim them to get the original height.

poppa

440 is now offering 7* locks installed for free until the end of August....
God must love stupid people....he made a sh**load of 'em....

Matco tools...guaranteed for a lifetime. Just not a human lifetime.

cuda66273

And for some reason you thought those S Heads made in China by quality craftsmen using Chinese high quality parts would be anything other than you got?

Eventually that company will destroy enough good old Mopar blocks with their Lowest Priced Parts they won't have any customers left.

Why would anyone buy those heads?  Is it just because they're cheap?

If I ever need brain surgery I'm not taking the lowest bid.

Cooter

Quote from: cuda66273 on October 10, 2012, 06:57:54 PM
Eventually that company will destroy enough good old Mopar blocks with their Lowest Priced Parts they won't have any customers left.See, that's my whole point....

Why would anyone buy those heads?  Is it just because they're cheap? You'd be surprized at whole will opt for the cheapest KNOWING they are rolling the dice.

If I ever need brain surgery I'm not taking the lowest bid.So that must explain all those horror stories about all those people who got face lifts done in the back of a storage facility and are scarred for life. Brain surgery and auto parts are two entirely different things. So FAR, there's still a "Standard" for health care, but you wait and see, there will come a day when the lowest bidder WILL win the contract on your brain surgery. Hell even today, you have to mark "Wrong Knee" on your opposite leg being opperated on to insure the correct knee gets opperated on, Sponges left inside folks, and these Guys make $300K/year.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

AKcharger

...5 years with their heads and 470 kit and no problems...perhaps 440 source isn't as bad as some think
:popcrn: