News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

2nd Gen Cowl Refinishing

Started by RallyeMike, February 01, 2012, 09:08:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RallyeMike

On a 2nd gen, what process do you guys use to clean out and refinish the inside of the cowl (beneath the grate).
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Ryan

69 charger r/t Triple Black
   572 HEMI, Passion 5 speed, 4.10 Dana under construction

2014 viper TA

Dino

If it's not too bad in there sandblast throught the grate.  If it's real nasty you can either cut out a little window on the side of the cowl so you can get in there better and if it's really really bad I drill out the spot welds and remove the entire top portion of the cowl but that's only when the inside needs major repair.

You can also try that biodegradable rust remover (forgot the brand) but you'd have to make sure you can plug the drain holes temprarily so it can soak for a while.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

b5blue

With the ducts for vent removed from both sides you can get a camera inside and take pics or video to see how good/bad it is. I did it and was lucky mines good.

sanders7981

I tackled this shortly after AMD released the repros...  I ended up cutting the center out, 2-3 inches on each side, then across the bottom lip area that is covered by the hood.  Then I just pulled it out, sanded, treated with rust encapsulator, and welded it back in.   I sealed up the seams with some metal-2-metal and coated with Rage Gold.  Although, this may not be an option if your not good at welding, plus I was a little "over-worried" about rust issues as this car has never been restored.

I am sure the other ways may be a little less invasive, but to each his own.  I figured if, when it messes up later, I can afford the AMD repros.  Eager to know your solution.

Silver R/T

Quote from: sanders7981 on February 17, 2012, 03:17:23 PM
I tackled this shortly after AMD released the repros...  I ended up cutting the center out, 2-3 inches on each side, then across the bottom lip area that is covered by the hood.  Then I just pulled it out, sanded, treated with rust encapsulator, and welded it back in.   I sealed up the seams with some metal-2-metal and coated with Rage Gold.  Although, this may not be an option if your not good at welding, plus I was a little "over-worried" about rust issues as this car has never been restored.

I don't think putting body filler in the seams was a good idea. There's seam sealer for that. 3M makes great products just for that
I am sure the other ways may be a little less invasive, but to each his own.  I figured if, when it messes up later, I can afford the AMD repros.  Eager to know your solution.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

sanders7981

Quote from: Silver R/T on February 17, 2012, 03:22:04 PM
Quote from: sanders7981 on February 17, 2012, 03:17:23 PM

I don't think putting body filler in the seams was a good idea. There's seam sealer for that. 3M makes great products just for that

I think you have misunderstood me.  I put Metal-2-metal filler over the welds that were ground down... I called them seams, but there were a couple places with tiny little pin holes that I mased the filler into, then I put regular filler over that.  it was months ago and has had time to cure, no sign of any issues.  I have 3M seam sealer, both brush on and caulk when I get to that stage.  Thanks for changing my post in your quote  :slap: lol!  Hope that clears it up.