News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

200r4 in 69 Charger

Started by hudak69rt, December 02, 2022, 06:40:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hudak69rt

That sounds good but 3.23 just dont seem like enough low end feel in your pants like these 3.73s. Also that set up is probably a liitle longer than factory that im guessing the angle is a little bit more harder for driveshaft?

Mike DC

IIRC somebody in the aftermarket used to make a lower gearset for the 727.  It was lower 1st & 2nd ratios, like the factory wide-ratio version of the smaller 904 trannys from the smog era.  I dunno if that's still available or not.    

Combine those lower 727 gears with a GV overdrive, and you would have a more decent spread from 1st to 4th.  I think the lowered 1st ratio was a 2.75 instead of the stock 2.45.

pipeliner

One of the biggest POS trannys ever built. There is a guy that can get them bullet proof for the G-Body guys but major dollars but Im thinking even those guys are using the 6l80 or maybe it's a 4l80, can't remember. Have one  In a 86 Monte SS and they're just naturally week but it would be a cold day in hell before I put anything GM or Ford in my Charger. Hell I was against putting a T-56 in my Charger until I found out they were first originally built for the Dodge Viper lol

Back N Black

What about a Doug Nash 5 speed? is that an option?

moparstuart

Quote from: pipeliner on January 06, 2023, 09:35:56 PM
One of the biggest POS trannys ever built. There is a guy that can get them bullet proof for the G-Body guys but major dollars but Im thinking even those guys are using the 6l80 or maybe it's a 4l80, can't remember. Have one  In a 86 Monte SS and they're just naturally week but it would be a cold day in hell before I put anything GM or Ford in my Charger. Hell I was against putting a T-56 in my Charger until I found out they were first originally built for the Dodge Viper lol
totally agree  mine works ok but i dont abuse it and its over built   I would never use this trans again that for sure  .     :Twocents:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

hudak69rt

Quote from: moparstuart on January 11, 2023, 06:07:35 PM
totally agree  mine works ok but i dont abuse it and its over built   I would never use this trans again that for sure  .     :Twocents:
You have a 2004r in your car?

moparstuart

Quote from: moparstuart on December 07, 2022, 11:03:13 AM
i have a 200 R4 in my Rat Rod out of a Monte Carlo  SS   it had to be super over built as they are a weak trans .  
 I have it behind my built 392 hemi  .  If you can pick a different option I  would they are just not a great trans  .  

yes  in my 31 nash 
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

hudak69rt

Whats your complaint and whats it built to power wise? Because I just called Cope and he doesnt build them anymore but sells the kit no valve body and no core to build Im at 3500 already and for something that can handle 700 hp so not even goin to look any further at that. If silversport was built to higher hp i would do that but at max 650 hp rating the money does not seem worth it. Seems Extreme best bang for buck but still getting a trusted quality long lasting piece which is what matters to me when you aint rich and young !! Appreciate all the help from everyone's perspective!

pipeliner

Quote from: hudak69rt on January 16, 2023, 10:15:52 AM
Quote from: moparstuart on January 11, 2023, 06:07:35 PM
You have a 2004r in your car?
Yes. Just I like I said. I'm my 86 Monte SS. It can't even handle 180 HP! My brother ripped out 2 in his 86 GN and finally had to send it off to get it bullet proofed. My 70 Charger has a close ratio T-56 in it.

hudak69rt

Yea im not against a stick but the t56 tranny itself is 6k plus floor work, plus conversion of pedals, trans crossmember ect. Extremes 200 is rated for 1,000 hp and has billet parts inside plus ik it fits with slight crossmember work. They also a lifetime refresh price of like 450 i believe. Just seems like best option to get this to boogie on the highway at 24-2500 and still be a nasty car at through the city behind a hopped up 440

Mike DC

General comment:  All the horsepower ratings are less important if it's not being dragstripped.  

Horsepower isn't really the issue even on the track.  It's sudden shock loads that break stuff.  Torque + curb weight + traction.  

You never break a U-joint while driving on ice/snow.  Not unless the rear tires suddenly hit a patch of dry pavement (which is a shock load).  

hudak69rt

Yea i get that i told them the setup of the car and he said they felt more comfortable with stage 3 then stage 2 set up. Gonna look it into 5 speed before i place order.

69Chrgr

I spent about the last 5 years trying to make the same decision you are. I also contemplated the TH200R4, as my 87 Grand National came with one from the factory and it seems plenty stout. However once the TKX 5-speed became available I pulled the trigger. Almost done with the conversion.

Mike DC

QuoteI spent about the last 5 years trying to make the same decision you are. I also contemplated the TH200R4, as my 87 Grand National came with one from the factory and it seems plenty stout. However once the TKX 5-speed became available I pulled the trigger. Almost done with the conversion.

Seems like a good choice.

Which gearset did you go with?  

69Chrgr

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on January 23, 2023, 08:43:50 PM
QuoteI spent about the last 5 years trying to make the same decision you are. I also contemplated the TH200R4, as my 87 Grand National came with one from the factory and it seems plenty stout. However once the TKX 5-speed became available I pulled the trigger. Almost done with the conversion.

Seems like a good choice.

Which gearset did you go with?  
I believe mine is the higher .68 5th gear ratio.

Kern Dog

I got one of the last TKO 600 models late in 2021. Mine has the 2.87 first gear and the .64 5th. At the time, they were rolling out the TKX. I got a nice deal on my kit...$5900 including delivery. These ratios make for a great performing car with excellent gear spacing.

69Chrgr

Quote from: Kern Dog on January 24, 2023, 10:27:56 AM
I got one of the last TKO 600 models late in 2021. Mine has the 2.87 first gear and the .64 5th. At the time, they were rolling out the TKX. I got a nice deal on my kit...$5900 including delivery. These ratios make for a great performing car with excellent gear spacing.
Glad to hear that. Today I hope to be able to finally test drive mine. We have had customer commitments to finish on other cars, so I wasn't able to finish up until now. We did a series of YouTube videos on the install, and hope to have the final video done this weekend with a test drive and summary of the installation. We used my car as the pilot like we did on EFI for future customer upgrades. I made a few mistakes like the proper measurement between the clutch fingers and the face of the bell housing, causing failure of the hydraulic slave cylinder on my first go around. Also, if you have headers the starter location has 2 options. Also what Silver Sport sends you regarding the flywheel is for a stock 440, not a stoker with a 6 bolt pattern and larger bolts. Just lots of little things. Overall, I'm super excited to try it out.

Kern Dog

Quote from: 69Chrgr on January 27, 2023, 07:41:37 AM
Also what Silver Sport sends you regarding the flywheel is for a stock 440, not a stoker with a 6 bolt pattern and larger bolts. Just lots of little things. Overall, I'm super excited to try it out.

The flywheel that I got was no different than other neutral balance flywheels that I have here. I have a 4.15 stroker crank. As far as I have seen, all Mopar LA, B and RB engines use a 6 bolt crank except the Hemi.

pipeliner

Quote from: hudak69rt on January 17, 2023, 09:09:42 PM
Yea im not against a stick but the t56 tranny itself is 6k plus floor work, plus conversion of pedals, trans crossmember ect. Extremes 200 is rated for 1,000 hp and has billet parts inside plus ik it fits with slight crossmember work. They also a lifetime refresh price of like 450 i believe. Just seems like best option to get this to boogie on the highway at 24-2500 and still be a nasty car at through the city behind a hopped up 440
I can't remember what level kit my brother went with on his 86 GN but it wasn't cheap. Just a few mods to that Turbo and it started eating Transmissions but it'd be a cold day in hell before I'd put a GM transmission in my cars.  The Mods for the T-56 is simple if you have the tools and have a good welding buddy or can weld yourself it's not the simple. Hey I get it. Some people can't bang gears but I was driving a 3 on the tree by myself on the farm when I could first reach the pedals.

69Chrgr

Quote from: pipeliner on January 27, 2023, 07:17:39 PM
I can't remember what level kit my brother went with on his 86 GN but it wasn't cheap. Just a few mods to that Turbo and it started eating Transmissions but it'd be a cold day in hell before I'd put a GM transmission in my cars.  The Mods for the T-56 is simple if you have the tools and have a good welding buddy or can weld yourself it's not the simple. Hey I get it. Some people can't bang gears but I was driving a 3 on the tree by myself on the farm when I could first reach the pedals.
Interesting. Then maybe I have a Hemi style crank.

69Chrgr

I have to say besides the EFI, this is the best mod I have done to my car. Now I'm finally done with debating with myself on what transmission to choose and I can finally ride with my friends on a long cruise out here in Texas.

https://youtu.be/cGmbFigmO1c

pipeliner

Quote from: 69Chrgr on January 30, 2023, 07:06:57 AM
I have to say besides the EFI, this is the best mod I have done to my car. Now I'm finally done with debating with myself on what transmission to choose and I can finally ride with my friends on a long cruise out here in Texas.

https://youtu.be/cGmbFigmO1c
Hope you have better luck with the TKX than what some other people have had with them. That's why I hate buying new product.

69Chrgr

Quote from: 69Chrgr on January 30, 2023, 07:05:12 AM
Quote from: pipeliner on January 27, 2023, 07:17:39 PM
Interesting. Then maybe I have a Hemi style crank.
I'm contemplating the 200R4 swap for my 68 Cuda with the new G3 stroker. I also have an 87 GN with the 200R4 and have seen many many GN's in the 9's with the 200R4. Over on the A body forums a guy had great luck with that swap.

hudak69rt

Exactly why Im goin that route and I called for the 5 speed to beef it up to 900 ft lbs rated 8800 so no way the 200 gonna be built with high end pieces and almost half the price no ones gonna know its got a gm tranny plus I can do 80 down the highway with ease and still have nasty low end gear! Pictures to come!