News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A/C system empty since 2015 installation - ok to fill?

Started by timmycharger, July 19, 2021, 12:54:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timmycharger

I put the 440 back in my Charger in 2015 including an aftermarket A/C system from Classic Air but never hooked up the belt to the compressor nor added in any refrigerant.

I am finally going to hook it up this summer but now I am not sure if everything is going to be ok from just sitting. Should the o rings be changed or just begin the filling process? I have a friend coming over with the equipment to do so as I don't have any of that stuff.

Nacho-RT74

I filled the factory A/C system on my Charger after maybe 20 or 25 years being empty and everything went just fine. Just after a couple of years some leaks began. The bigger one at compressor front seal, then pourousities on the hoses ( they were a bit dried ) but this last just because I changed from R12 to R134 keeping the same hoses, hoping they were seasoned enough to keep the smaller molecules of the R134.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

John_Kunkel

Be sure to pull a good, long vacuum on the system before attempting to fill and you should be OK.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

timmycharger

Almost successfully completed this on Friday night. As suggested, we pulled a vacuum in the system before putting in the 24 ounces of refrigerant. The system is blowing ice cold A/C now and everything is holding up ok so far.  The only issue is that I must have messed up the micro switches upon installation and I can't get the compressor to click on when blowing out the center vents, only in defrost.

Calling Classic Auto Air today to see if I can get new switches, otherwise I will need to rig something to make it work, but for now I am satisfied that the system is holding a charge and working after sitting so long.

b5blue

Next test is to simulate stuck in traffic or like a slow drive through with A/C on. My flex fan didn't clear the compressor clutch so I had to experiment with things. A/C is a game changer, you will really enjoy having it!  :2thumbs:

will

Too bad they never made it hard lines like Kern Dog did on his car. I'm not a fan of the haphazard hose routing. Not nit picking your install because I have the same thing.

timmycharger

Quote from: b5blue on August 02, 2021, 08:45:56 AM
Next test is to simulate stuck in traffic or like a slow drive through with A/C on. My flex fan didn't clear the compressor clutch so I had to experiment with things. A/C is a game changer, you will really enjoy having it!  :2thumbs:

It has been very hot here in MA the last few days so I got a chance to give it a good test.  Did very well in stop/go traffic slight surging of the fan from idle to driving but really doesn't bother me.  I also adjusted my idle speed a bit higher as it was around 600RPM now closer to 800RPM and doesn't even struggle when the dual electric fans come on and even with the headlights on.

I wish it had a speed in between off and 1 because even on the lowest fan setting, it blows hard, so much that my wife was shivering in the back seat LOL!

The system calls for 24 ounces, I have a little left in the second 12oz can that I need to finish off, but I would say this is a success and most definitely a game changer as before, I would not even try to drive this car in 90+ degree heat, too damn hot!

b5blue

Sounds good!  :2thumbs: Keep an eye on engine temp. at idle and enjoy!