News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

changing 70 chargergrill to a 69 grill

Started by Angie W, May 28, 2006, 07:07:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angie W

I'm looking at buying a 70 charger and like the 69 charger grill better and was wondering if the 69 grill will work with the 70 fenders and hood or will i have to replace the  fenders and hood. and does anyone sell aftermarket front fenders and door skins
thanks
Angie

GT

You'll have to change the hood, fenders and valance.
1970 Dodge Charger ==> V10
2012 Charger SRT8

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: GT on May 28, 2006, 07:46:34 PM
You'll have to change the hood, fenders and valance.

And the bumper, hood latch, headlight wiring/vacuum harness...

miamivice

...what they said.  and with the price of 69 parts, you would probably be better off to find a complete 69 charger instead. 

and no, they do not make reproduction hoods/fenders/door skins/etc...unlike chevy and ford stuff which you can open up a catalog and buy everysingle piece brand spankin new, these mopars involve lots of parts hunting (and mucho money!).   just know what your getting into, especialy if you decide to do the swap.   do a search, alot of people have asked the same question as you.  Mike DC probably has given the best reply on this kinda stuff.

F

CB

keep the value of the 70 and don't change the grill.
Try to get used to it or replace the 70 with a 69. My 2 cents.
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

Just 6T9 CHGR

I agree what others said......

PS---dont tell a 70 owner what you want to do......it would probably kill them right on the spot ;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Dodge Don

WHAT?????????????????

:flame:  :flame:  :flame:  :flame:  :flame:  :flame:

If you want to step down to a 69 go ahead. But jesus h palomino....don't hack up a 70  :'(

:-*

69fuchs

Quote from: Dodge Don on May 29, 2006, 07:31:20 PM
WHAT?????????????????

If you want to step down to a 69 go ahead. But jesus h palomino....don't hack up a 70  :'(

It is a darn good thing that '70 chargers are so fast.......'cause it would be down right painful to have to look at that front end in the rear view mirror all the time!!!! YUK!!! (an eye for an eye buddy! :icon_smile_tongue:)

Rolling_Thunder

well 68's own both the 69 and the 70 grills...     
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Dodge Don

Quote from: 69fuchs on May 29, 2006, 09:24:45 PM
Quote from: Dodge Don on May 29, 2006, 07:31:20 PM
WHAT?????????????????

It is a darn good thing that '70 chargers are so fast.......'cause it would be down right painful to have to look at that front end in the rear view mirror all the time!!!! YUK!!! (an eye for an eye buddy! :icon_smile_tongue:)

Touche  :smilielol:

Mike DC

This subject gets brought up on a regular basis.

============================================

--  If you want the '69 appearance, don't buy a 1970 car. 

The two cars don't LOOK all that much different, but in reality everything on the outer skin of the car that's ahead of the doors & windshield was changed for 1970.  The "1970-becomes-1969" swap requires you to find & purchase literally $2000-3000 in rare used 1969 parts that are not being reproduced new.  Fenders, grille assembly, hood, etc.

---------------------------------------------

--  The 1968 car can be converted to (roughly) a 1969 appearance with some money & work

The taillight panel needs to be replaced (or else you can heavily re-cut & weld the '68 panel) for installing the 1969/70 taillights.  Replacing the 1968 grille's plastic center-section with a 1969 center-section will get you the 1969 divider you need.

Remember, I said the 1968 car can be "visually" converted to look like a 1969.  I didn't say it could be FULLY converted. 

These old Mopars had a lot of smaller differences that they changed every single year.  Grain patterns on the interior vinyl, wiring stuff, signal lights, small mechanical parts & brackets, etc.  It's not realistic to FULLY 100% convert any car from one year to another.  You can change the major things that people notice, but don't try to get every nut & bolt the same because it's just not worth the money & effort.  If you're THAT serious about getting a certain year of car, then you should just save up & buy that model in the first place.

------------------------------------------------

--  Are you wanting a 1969 appearance for a "General Lee" project?

If this is the case, please say so.  There's a bunch of things I could point out that are unique to GL projects in particular.  Year-swapped Chargers were very common on the TV show & movie.

Blown70

Well I too had this problem.  I had a 1970 Charger,

My first car was a 1969

SO, I just went and found a 69   TRUST me, it will almost be cheaper to find another 69 even if it is a Plain, NON R/T.

Tom

Angie W

we bought the charger and the front clip is in to good of shape to make it a 69 were going to keep 70 grill. thanks for all the replys

Dodge Don

TylerCharger69

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on May 30, 2006, 12:07:52 AM
well 68's own both the 69 and the 70 grills...     

A '68  and '69  grille will interchange...but not a '70 because a '70 is more of a nosecone type bumper  (chrome goes all the way around)  To make the change though....you would need the '69 fenders for this to work....but set aside the '70 fenders for value reasons

TylerCharger69

Oh...and a hood too....lol   I have a General Lee...and It's a true '69...The series however did clone 70's into 69's  and 68's into '69's...If you look closely, on some episodes....you can see the little round side marker lights that are donned on the 68 models.   And  you can also see the slightly larger side marker reflectors that are on '70's   so this was also done too