News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rear main seal and stud girdle

Started by J-440, January 17, 2023, 12:02:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J-440

Gonna change my rear main seal soon and wanted y'all's opinion. I have a stud girdle that ties in all the main caps so I can't just unbolt the rear seal retainer block since the stud girdle needs to come off.  Since the stud girdle is bolted on top of the main caps, I literally have to unbolt all of the main caps to remove the stud girdle. Now, I need something that will hold the crank in place while everything is off. Since the rear of the crank is bolted to the tranny and won't move, what about the front of the crank? Maybe a bungee cord wrapped around the balancer and tied to some part of the block? Would love to hear some ideas.
68 R/T, 440/727 6-speed, SC G-machine...black suede

70 sublime

So it sounds like you are doing all of this with the engine still in the car ?
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

J-440

Yes. I do have a lift in my garage thank God.

b5blue

Put a few 2x4 under the connecting rods and lower the girdle.

J-440

J-440

So the disassembly went smooth and now I've got another question. I've heard that to really get a good seal on the seal retaining block you want to shave about .005" from the block thickness so that it sits lower onto the crank. How many of y'all have done this and is it worth it?

J-440

b5blue

pipeliner

J-440

Stock with a new set of silicone seals.