News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need help car wont start just installed a new electronic pro comp distributor

Started by 440charger68, August 12, 2010, 11:40:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

440charger68

so there is only a red and black wire that comes off the distributor and it says all u have to do is put the red wire to the positive of the coile and the black to the negative of the coil. i have did that and all my car does is turns over and over with no spark but i also read that it says it need s a constant 12 volts does a positive of a coil have 12 volts and if not where can i hook it where it does??? any help would be great i have been stuck on this for two days now
life's a garden, dig it.

Cooter

Need more info like the instructions here, but from what you are telling me, you hooked the red wire on the dis. to the original wire that goes through the ballast resistor (Points and Electronic)and that is NOT 12 volts. With that style dis. needing the 12 volts, you may or may not have to run a NON resistor type coil as well...(One that will run on a full 12 volts all the time, as the resistor type won't for long)...Hope this helps.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

ChgrSteve67

check your firing order and make sure your set close to top dead center.

royt440

Just to clarify the original post: Both distributor wires are going to the coil?
Could you give us a little more information about any other wires at the ECU or ballast resistor?

Bob T

I put a Procomp and their specified coil on my 68 318, Runs fine. Hope the diagram helps
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

Cooter

Basically, that diagram shows a relay that is Ignition switched 12 Volts to the coil all the time when Ignition is on. No biggie, just wire the relay in as instructed and should run...Again, check to make sure that your coil isn't the resistor type, as by that, you will need a non-resistor type coil...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

440charger68

how do you tell if its a non resistor type coil?? and to clarify yes the distributor wires are both going to the coil red to the positive on the coil and black to the negative on the coil
life's a garden, dig it.

440charger68

oh and what does the relay look like in my car or do i have to buy one?
life's a garden, dig it.

John_Kunkel

Like the instructions say, you must use their coil or one that meets their spec and no ballast resistor. To eliminate the ballast simply hook the connectors on either side of the ballast together, no relay needed.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.