News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1970Moparmann's Superbird - Continuous questions.....

Started by 1970Moparmann, November 27, 2012, 10:50:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68X426

Merry freaking Superbird Christmas. :2thumbs:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

1970Moparmann

Quote from: 68X426 on November 28, 2012, 03:44:51 PM

Why thank you!   I have a big ass bow that is going to be put on it Christmas eve so I can relive the last few days.  :2thumbs:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

1970Moparmann

Quote from: hemi68charger on November 28, 2012, 03:43:33 PM
Mike, just noticed those nice pretty tires............................................................................  Nuff said................................................  Get some nice Goodyear Radials........  I had those on my Daytona. Granted, they look great, but ride horrible... Just food for thought, you don't have to order from the menu...

:icon_smile_big:

So far I drove the car from the trailer to the garage.  I'll have to change them at some point.  I know what you mean..... :2thumbs:

moparchris

Way to go on getting your "bird.  It looks like a really nice car that you can enjoy while you do some things to it.  There is nothing like the first few times you drive a wing car and see those uprights in the mirror.  HAVE FUN :cheers:

Someday70

Sweet!  :2thumbs: Great story, enjoy the holidays!... and don't let that fertilizer spreader fall on the car!

WINGIN IT

Congrats !  :2thumbs:

I believe there are a couple of previous posts on that bird.
One recently, as it looks the same as in the pics you posted, and another a while back when it was for sale and a member posted the Craig's list ad.  
If I recall a year or 2 back the then long time owner wanted $100K for the car, then recently I think it was advertised for $75K, and he had offers of mid 60s . This was from the friend of the widow that was helping her sell it  - over the summer I think.    
I liked it when it had the white top  , went great with the white decals.
What scared me was the wiring  :o   so I didn't pursue that one any further.

But it sounds like it went to the right owner .  With your kind of enthusiasm it will be top notch in no time !

1970Moparmann

Quote from: WINGIN IT on November 28, 2012, 04:54:21 PM
Congrats !  :2thumbs:

What scared me was the wiring  :o   so I didn't pursue that one any further.

But it sounds like it went to the right owner .  With your kind of enthusiasm it will be top notch in no time !

Been there, done that.  Yes what the original owner did just amazes me.  I'm sure I'll find more surprises - I'M UP FOR THE CHALLENGE!

I'm very excited as you can see! 

GULFGLENY

congrats! :2thumbs: I picked up mine last thanksgiving, and I still go out to the barn and look. :drool5: I looked at buying that car when it first come up for sale, I am about 10 miles north of GR Michigan. I herd the same thing on the engine.

Golden-Arm

i'd pull the battery, and leave it disconnected until you get the wiring sorted. you dont want the bird burnt to a crisp, from an accident.  :Twocents:

*and put a big fire extinguisher in it, for when you do drive.  :2thumbs:

1970Moparmann

Quote from: Golden-Arm on November 28, 2012, 05:28:04 PM
i'd pull the battery, and leave it disconnected until you get the wiring sorted. you dont want the bird burnt to a crisp, from an accident.  :Twocents:

*and put a big fire extinguisher in it, for when you do drive.  :2thumbs:

You know it.  I disconnected it 5 seconds after putting it in the garage.  My bedroom is right above the garage, so I take extra precaution.  :2thumbs:

Lighthorseman

Congratulations.  What a cool score!   :2thumbs:  :drool5:

1RareBird

Great looking bird!  Have any more pics of it?  Interior, engine compartment, fender tag etc???  Is it still in Michigan?  I live by Ann Arbor and we actually have a handful of birds around here.
When I die I want to go like my Grandfather did, quietly in his sleep.  Not screaming like the passengers in his car.

1970Moparmann

Quote from: Dave Kanofsky on November 28, 2012, 09:27:27 AM
CONGRAT'S MIKE!  The car looks fantastic, I can't wait to see it in person.

It is great to see good things happen to good people.

As for the wiring harness...Bill Evans is the guy to get them from in my experience:
http://www.evanswiring.com/

WING IT!

Dave, thanks!  Looking forward for your advice! :2thumbs:

rebby

Fantastic find! I hope to join you as an owner of a wing someday. The Superbird has always been one of my favorite cars. Congrats!!!
Curt Rebelein, Junior
1969 Charger R/T SE (500 Stroker/833/D60 w/XP VIN)
1969 Charger (440/727/8.75, GL Project)

1970Moparmann

Quote from: rebby on November 29, 2012, 12:20:17 AM
Fantastic find! I hope to join you as an owner of a wing someday. The Superbird has always been one of my favorite cars. Congrats!!!

Thank you.  It's been a dream come true for me. 

Good luck in your search! :cheers:

Daytona Guy

n9671x2

Quote from: GULFGLENY on November 28, 2012, 05:16:54 PM
congrats! :2thumbs: I picked up mine last thanksgiving, and I still go out to the barn and look. :drool5: I looked at buying that car when it first come up for sale, I am about 10 miles north of GR Michigan. I herd the same thing on the engine.

I really don't have any new information for you, but I am also about 10 minutes from where the car was near Grand Rapids (over by Cannonsburg).  Was seen here and there over the years, talked to the guy selling earlier this year but never did go look at it.  Looks alot better already !!

WINGIN IT

Yeah, still ticked about missing yours GULFGLENY, but I guess it all worked out in the end.
Managed to find a winged car. But I don't get to gawk at it in the garage yet, it's still a work in progress   :'(

And I ALWAYS disconnect the battery on all my old cars. Just a habit I got into years ago.

hotrod98

Quote from: WINGIN IT on November 29, 2012, 01:18:19 PM

Yeah, still ticked about missing yours GULFGLENY, but I guess it all worked out in the end.
Managed to find a winged car. But I don't get to gawk at it in the garage yet, it's still a work in progress   :'(

And I ALWAYS disconnect the battery on all my old cars. Just a habit I got into years ago.

I feel guilty that I get to see your wingcar every day.  Okay, I don't really..lol  It's coming along nicely and soon you'll be able to see it every day.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

WINGIN IT

Quote from: hotrod98 on November 29, 2012, 04:41:42 PM
Quote from: WINGIN IT on November 29, 2012, 01:18:19 PM

I feel guilty that I get to see your wingcar every day.  Okay, I don't really..lol  It's coming along nicely and soon you'll be able to see it every day.
Ha :lol: , no reason to feel guilty Larry, you're working on it, so you guys are working on it so you have the right  ;)

Glad to hear no major issues... so far  ;)

hitail

:cheers: Congrats.
Nice talking to you at the MCACN show.
Your car is not the one I was originally thinking of. What you have is MUCH nicer.
I'll keep looking for pictures.

Hitail

472 R/T SE

:iagree:   No kidding.  ;)

Wow, I thought I read some mumblings of your Charger being sold?  Are you selling the '68 too?
May I ask where your '70 went?  It was sorta similar to my old blue car.  That was a nice ride.

For a ride that was restored almost 3 decades ago, da' Bird looks to have held up very well.  Not much aftermarket body panels back then so it appears to have been done right.

What are your plans?  Or should I say are you gonna drive it a summer or two before you paint it the correct color?

I'm sure you're used to people rubber necking & practically drifting into your lane as they gawk at your old Chevys, but owning & driving a wing car is an experience like no other. 
People trying to pull you over.
Speeding up to get in front of you, & then bailing off the road onto the shoulder kicking up gravel so they can get video of you driving by.
Or the ones who drive & take video/pictures all at once.
My favorite (cause I'm not on the road), people driving by your house & spot the wing in the garage & practically hitting parked cars cause they're so mesmerized & we have narrow streets.
Etc., etc.

If you don't like attention, leave it in the garage.  ;)   My ownership lasted less than a year but it was an experience that will never be forgotten.  You thought fueling up was entertaining before...you wait.

Maybe it's cause there just aren't that many wing cars up here.  The only time I've ever seen one on the road was Dane & he lives 60 miles away.  Please, my post isn't meant to brag.  Now that I look back, it's comical.  :lol:

Strap up Mike.

1970Moparmann

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on November 30, 2012, 04:18:57 AM

:iagree:   No kidding.  ;)

Wow, I thought I read some mumblings of your Charger being sold?  Are you selling the '68 too?
May I ask where your '70 went?  It was sorta similar to my old blue car.  That was a nice ride.

For a ride that was restored almost 3 decades ago, da' Bird looks to have held up very well.  Not much aftermarket body panels back then so it appears to have been done right.

What are your plans?  Or should I say are you gonna drive it a summer or two before you paint it the correct color?

68 is staying!  Honestly, after 25 years of owning a Charger, I don't think I couldn't. 

The 70 was purchased by a member in St. Louis! :2thumbs:  Very good guy, and really happy he has it.  A few dealers were hounding me, but honestly, I don't like to work with them.

Plans?  I'm going to clean her up really good (under carriage and engine compartment) / replace the wiring / a little interior work like the gauges and bezels / put some mirrors back on her / head rests / go through the fuel system and DRIVE IT!

It's been sitting for a while and has some shotty work done in 2003 that needs to be fixed.  The has changed a lot in a few months, and will continue.

Can't wait to enjoy it!

472 R/T SE

I read in the other thread that you sold 2 cars.  Did you sell the Coronet too?  :-\

1970Moparmann

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on November 30, 2012, 05:32:21 PM
I read in the other thread that you sold 2 cars.  Did you sell the Coronet too?  :-\

No.  The wife and kids won't let me.  :pity:

I had an impulse buy a few months ago of a 79 300.  A friend of mine bought it last week.  I needed the money for the Bird anyway.  He's giving the 300 to his 15 year old son for his 16th birthday.  He's a good kid, so I said yes.  I have too many headaches as it is.