News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

WELCOME G-SERIES.

Started by 472 R/T SE, August 07, 2005, 05:56:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

472 R/T SE

G-Series

Wazzzupp.   Nice to see the new board up and running.   We're here getting ready for the Nats.   We're bringing Mike's watermelon for Fri and Sat.   We'll be at Keisler's tent on the vendors midway during the day and on Brice both eves.   Thanks for the official welcome.      Gary.

41husk

1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Troy

Ok, now that you've gotten the official welcome...

Where's the pics! :D

I just had to beat Charger Fan to it...

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

TruckDriver

Quote from: Troy on August 07, 2005, 10:29:58 PM

Troy

:smilielol:
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

G-Series

:icon_smile_big:  I tried last night, but the pix are too large.

Charger_Fan

Quote from: DodgeChargerGuy on August 08, 2005, 04:28:48 AM
Quote from: Troy on August 07, 2005, 10:29:58 PM

Troy

Welcome to the site! I was hoping one (or both) of you Dayclona guys would make it. :thumbs:

BTW, if you'd like I can help with any pics you'd like help with.
Just shoot me some in an e-mail (found in my profile) & I'll post them in this thread.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

MoparYoungGun

Welcome to the site, glad you made it :cheers: !

2fast4u

How about the story behind the watermelon Gary?  Love hear 'bout that!!!

2fast
DODGE CHARGER--Fuel for Living!

G-Series

The back story....we were suppose to do an all black w/red wing for Mike.   Out of the blue, he says he wants to do the 'green' car(not yet dubbed the watermelon yet).   We thought he was nuts, but he had already used the digitally micrometer to spec out the stripes etc...we knew he was serious   ???     We started Labor Day weekend of 2004, with a boned out 70 body donated by Pete (70 Charger Convertible). As we computer enhanced the three known photos, provided by John Pappas(5 Star Prod.-Onebadsuperbird) we uncovered things that no one had seen before. (I'll try to attach some detail shots we used to build the melon).   Then one night I asked, "WTF...why would anyone do this...ugly piece of $hit"   "It looks like an F-ing watermelon on wheels" "You're gonna actually drive this?"   :yesnod: He was.   His reasoning: It is the most controversial Daytona; has created some of the longest threads on the net; the only one photo'd at Chrysler's Highland Park; poster hanging in the Photography Depts offices for years....etc.... This one would stand out.     I had to agree.   As the build process moved along, it began to grow on me too(like fungus).   So we finished it up for pix in the middle of April.   During it's debut at Carlisle, a guy brought us an old SUperStock magazine from 1970 which had a black and white photo that showed the tail end of a 70 Charger with the same tones as the melon, a white top and a wing at the Michigan Career Institute among other 70 cars being displayed by a local Dodge dealership.   There was a Daytona funny car there too.   This info begins to solidify what we have deduced by the 69 Michigan dealerplate...that a local dealership commissioned the car and used it to attract buyers into the dealership.   Anyone with more info??? about the MI Career Institue??   Pix: shows the missing tube(we figured it was to hold banners(I'll post that pic later) the damage to the nose must have happened when the tube broke off; pic shows the step up on the door scoop/stripe; also a pic showing the hood detail.

BigBlockSam

Howdy guys. you did a real nice job on that car. it looks great. i was a little disapionted it wasn't  a fast back. are you building any other 2nd generation Daytona's? where are you guys located? Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

G-Series

We could have easily done the fastback, but the original wasn't.  We're in Mass.

mustanghater

cool, I saw you guys at the nats last year. the car ( 71 SUPERBIRD) on the lift.
New Muscle car forum
http://usav8.com/aamc/index.php
www.myspace.com/spencespeed

Just 6T9 CHGR

Hey Gary glad you could make it on over.
I was in Carlisle for 4 days, in the T building with the other Chris (Burnt70R/T) and his 70 Charger, must have passed by you guys 10 times and every time there was literally a line to speak/meet you guys!

Sorry I missed ya this year!

Chris
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Charger_Fan

That's a cool story.

Have you been approached by anybody that worked for Dodge or that dealership back in the day who may have recognized the car?

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

G-Series

6T9, there's always the Nats or Vernon Aug 28th.  CFan: Dave Hakim introduced me to (I hope I remember his name right)Acosta, he was quoted as seeing the car in the lot, however, he told me that he saw the poster hanging in the photo dept, not the car.  Hopefully this lead will finally put to rest the mystery of the melon.  If it pans out, that'll be dealer built 2, DC built 0.  There is also the other one.... the blue one :icon_smile_big:  It was featured in a mag around the late 70's, possibly 1980.  The cover had a collage of cars with this 70 Daytona (blue) facing forward with the same trombone bumper.  Anyone remember???

69_500

The watermelon car is awsome.

Hope to run into you guys at the nats and possibly get a video shoot of the car if at all possible.

Danny
with D.E.L. Productions.

G-Series

Danny:   We'll be out on Brice Fri and Sat night.   We'll also be driving to and from Brice to the show. Plenty of opportunity for videos.

Ghoste

Hey Gary, have you ever run an ad in the Detroit Free Press looking for info?  Or better yet, try to get a reporter to run a feature?

G-Series

Hey Ghoste, no hadn't thought of that.   I'll have to get onebadsuperbird on that one.   MCG was going to look into the info I posted earlier.   Wolf used to live up that way some time ago.   Greg Rager, editor of Cars and Parts, is going to look into it as well.   Well, were off in a few hours to Brice, see ya there.

2fast4u

So Gary.....What's the NEXT project in your sights?

2fast
DODGE CHARGER--Fuel for Living!

Chryco Psycho

saw the Watermelon car at Carlisle ... Awesome
I really wanted to see one of the 71 wing cars in person ... Oh well
Too bad I didn`t a chance to meet you either ,
Welcome BTW

G-Series

CP: we'll be at Vernon, CT and possibly Lebanon Valley, NY.  You??

LahTera

Um, I can't seem to stop staring at that latest pic!  Goooooogling!

LahTera

Chryco Psycho

Unfortunatly I live 3000 miles away & cannot make a bunch of trips every decade nevermind in 1 year
coming to Alberta any time soon ???