News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

C-500 under valued

Started by 41husk, January 05, 2016, 02:38:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

41husk

So I was watching the Velocity Channel a while back and a show called what's my car worth, was featuring a 69 hemi Charger 500.  They give them 1-6 on condition and A-F on collectability.  I think the car was given a 2 for condition because the paint was new but the interior was nice but showed use, not worn out but not completely new.  The guy then says it gets a B for collectability??  I have seen cars with well over 500 made get an A for Collectability.  I realize the 70 Hurst 300 and 83 Plymouth scamp have very low production numbers and are not as collectable as many cars with much higher numbers.  This is a C500 for god sake.  The car sold for way more than the host estimate, causing him to be surprised.  This just baffles me!!!  Does the world outside of Mopars have any clue?
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

C500

The outside world of Mopars often don't know what a 69 Charger 500 is, or that they even exist. I think this would be the reason it scored a B on collectability.
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

Kowal

That episode was shot about two years ago now, prior to the latest run that has been starting on select Mopars.

Also...yes the car was nice, but there were a lot of inaccuracies with it.   I looked at it pretty carefully that week and followed it up on the block.

It pulled good money, when it is all done that is all that really matters.
'69 Hemi Charger 500, '70 U Code Challenger R/T
(These two and a bunch others at www.dkowal426.com)

"P. J. O'Rourke:  The old car ran perfectly, right up until it didn't."

41husk

I guess so but that episode still had me boiling!
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

Aero426

Cheer up.   I own a couple of cars rated investment grade F.  

It isn't the number made that establishes the value.   The B collectible grade for a Hemi 500 is still a high ranking.    With the Hemi, it has to be close to an A.   But that pesky Daytona is in the way.    

41husk

I know, I have a 74 dart swinger with a slant 6 in my collection.  Nobody been beatin the door down to try to buy that one away from me :shruggy:
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

hergfest

Funny, I was also there two years ago at Barrett when that car went across the block.  We were outside the main tent eating lunch when the 500 drove out to go to the staging lanes.  Saw white smoke coming out from underneath the hood, some wiring had gone up in smoke.  They worked on it for about ten minutes then got it running again.  A little later it pulled $150k on the block and we said "The car that was just on fire???"  I think it got extra money because it was advertised as an extremely low mile car.  But it was 100% restored, nothing was original on it.  To me, that negates any value of the low miles.  That is the beauty of selling a car at the Circus in the Desert, someone saw the low miles advertised and bid it way up.
I agree on the B value, A would be a Daytona or Superbird.  Some Chevy guys don't even know Chrysler made a 500.  Doesn't mean that your disrespecting the cars.

green69rt

Quote from: 41husk on January 05, 2016, 02:38:23 PM
So I was watching the Velocity Channel a while back and a show called what's my car worth, was featuring a 69 hemi Charger 500.  They give them 1-6 on condition and A-F on collectability.  I think the car was given a 2 for condition because the paint was new but the interior was nice but showed use, not worn out but not completely new.  The guy then says it gets a B for collectability??  I have seen cars with well over 500 made get an A for Collectability.  I realize the 70 Hurst 300 and 83 Plymouth scamp have very low production numbers and are not as collectable as many cars with much higher numbers.  This is a C500 for god sake.  The car sold for way more than the host estimate, causing him to be surprised.  This just baffles me!!!  Does the world outside of Mopars have any clue?

Didn't watch the show but the circumstances make me wonder how knowledgeable the host was about 60's and 70's mopar cars.  If the person didn't know about 69 C500 and looked up data on a 70 500, thinking it was the same thing, then things seems more logical.   On the other hand $150K seems high for the car described even if it is a C500.

Aero426

Quote from: green69rt on January 05, 2016, 04:11:50 PM
Didn't watch the show but the circumstances make me wonder how knowledgeable the host was about 60's and 70's mopar cars.  If the person didn't know about 69 C500 and looked up data on a 70 500, thinking it was the same thing, then things seems more logical.   On the other hand $150K seems high for the car described even if it is a C500.

The host (Keith Martin) formerly owned a Superbird.   

green69rt

Quote from: Aero426 on January 05, 2016, 04:21:04 PM
Quote from: green69rt on January 05, 2016, 04:11:50 PM

The host (Keith Martin) formerly owned a Superbird.   

Well then, he should know.

hemi68charger

The C500 is a novelty of the Mopar genre. Value is driven my supply and demand and we have to think of the national/global musclecar market as one of everyone involved,,, and most aren't mopar-lovers let alone someone who knows, appreciates or even likes a C500..... People like you and I Allen are jaded in that we love these cars and know their history. We would bend over backwards to own one.. Like Doug eluded to, the value of the C500 is limited by those two winged brethren that everyone knows better; even in the Ford or GM camps... Shoot, I was offered up my former T7 C500 for the Superbird project and the darn wing has me sort of jaded in that direction(of the wing).. ( albeit it, getting Dana back would be an emotional plus if anything ).

T
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Highbanked Hauler

I have had my 500 out at Carlisle 4 or 5 times I think it was  and the first 3 times I asked to park with the aero cars and was told they couldn't do that because  my car wasn't a Daytona or Superbird so I didn't blame the person as I knew they were just following directions. Maybe now it would be different but the wreck changing the front end didn't help either. I do feel that your right, 500's are undervalued and for the most part under appreciated.  :Twocents:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

5hunert

Even Hagerty Insurance can't get it right.  Their valuation tool https://www.hagerty.com/apps/valuationtools/1969-Dodge-Charger-500?id=70804 shows 383 2bb, 383 4 bbl and 350 horse 440 as options, and doesn't have a value for any.  And these are the guys whose job is knowing what a collector car is valued at.

DAY CLONA

Quote from: 41husk on January 05, 2016, 02:38:23 PM

I think any of the so called "collectible" automobiles today are grossly over valued and over priced, I "collected" and drove these vehicles from the mid 70's right up into the early 90's, a period when nobody but the enthusiast "valued" these vehicles, the speculators/investors ruined the hobby for the true enthusiast of these vehicles

5hunert

They are undervalued in more ways than resale value.  When I take my (admittedly rough looking) C500 to an all-make car show, most people walk right past it, sometimes asking the person nest to them why such a wreck is at a show.  About once an hour, someone will walk past, see the grill then go check out the rear window.  Then spend the next 10 minutes looking at it bow to stern.