News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Mitch's 69 Charger restoration -sheet metal

Started by green69rt, March 09, 2009, 10:05:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

green69rt

I've just acquired a 69 charger that I want to restore so I thought I would start a thread to describe the stages and details of that work.  This is my first restoration so a lot of you will recognize old problems, mistakes and steps.  I will post whatever is going on at the time an will try to put a lot of detail in the thread.

So here goes.

I bought this 69 Charger from a guy near Chicago that advertised is fairly clearly.  First problem is that one man's description is another man's problem (more later!!) I've had the car about two years and have spent the time tearing in down and figuring out what I need to do.  I will add more notes and pictures as I get time.  

All comments are welcome.  There is such a hugh amount if knowledge out there that I am overloaded.

Here is a picture of it on arrival.  It is a SE car with a 383 2bbl auto, 273 no sure grip rear end.

All I can say is it was in much worse shape than I hoped.  More later

69*F5*SE

Is that car F5 green?  Can't really tell by the pic.  :shruggy:  Ted

green69rt

Build sheet says F3 but I want F5.

green69rt

Second try to add more detail.

The car came with a bunch of parts.  Evidently the guy I bought it from had hopes of restoring it but backed out.  The package deal included a new interior, bumpers, floor pan, and a bunch of other parts.  The car did run and we actually drove it into the garage, where it sets now. Brakes didn't work and it had no exhaust system ( cut off after the stock exhaust manifold. )

I will skip the dissassembly.  First section will talk about the rear section of the car.  Frame rails had seen a bumper hitch (I think) come and go. Lots of repairs for rust.  The rust was not stopped, it was everywhere!!  Hand made rear cross member (behind the rear valence.)

So here are a couple of pictures.

The70RT

Nice car, good luck on the resto. I had a 69 the same color back 30 years ago.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

skip68

:cheers:  Welcome to the site green69rt.    What are the plans for the car ?  Keep it stock or pump it up with some more power ?   
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

FlatbackFanatic

Welcome! Looks like you got alot of work ahead of you.Good luck, and keep us posted, there is alot of info you can get here.
Flatback Fanatic, Kurt  , MN

mopar_nut_440_6

Good luck with your project. they are a lot of work but well worth it in the end!

Looks lie a great start.

Welcome

:2thumbs:
1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

tan top

hello & welcome  :wave:  looks a good project  :yesnod: , keep the pictures coming  :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

1969chargerrtse

Hey there and welcome to the site.  I did the same thing with my car which is post my slow restoration as I moved along.  The plan is to print out every page for a book to keep for memory lane.  Beautiful car and I know what you mean by " All I can say is it was in much worse shape than I hoped. ".  Looking forward to further pictures and progress.  Rob.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Good luck with the resto & welcome to the site :cheers:

F3 green is a really nice color when its fresh & not a common color in the sea of reds & darker greens.

Please take the time to register the car is you haven't already..
www.1969chargerregistry.com

Some F3 examples

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Charger_Fan

Welcome to the site. :wave:
Looks like you got a good project on your hands, despite it's rust ailments. The good part is that your timing was excellent, as far as parts availability. With all the new repop stuff that's been coming along, the job has been made quite a bit easier. :2thumbs:

Looking forward to progress updates. :)

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Davtona

Looks like it is a vinyl top car. Curious what color was the vinyl top? Are you going to put it back on or not. Also wondering what color the interior is.    :2thumbs:

vancamp

Best of luck with it, keep pictures posted :2thumbs:

green69rt

Quote from: NOT Just 6T9 CHGR on March 10, 2009, 08:41:33 AM
Good luck with the resto & welcome to the site :cheers:

F3 green is a really nice color when its fresh & not a common color in the sea of reds & darker greens.

Please take the time to register the car is you haven't already..
www.1969chargerregistry.com

Some F3 examples

I actually had a new 69RT in my younger and more foolish days,  Drove it around up north for 10 years and it literally fell apart in my driveway.  I ended up parting it out to some hot rodders in 1981 (they just wanted the engine and tranmission.

My intent is to make the car F5 green which is between the two cars you show ( I think).

green69rt

Quote from: skip68 on March 10, 2009, 01:01:54 AM
:cheers:  Welcome to the site green69rt.    What are the plans for the car ?  Keep it stock or pump it up with some more power ?   

Car came with a 383 2bbl.  I want to put a 440 stroker in it.  There is a local place near here called DiamondBack motors.  They build a wide selection of Mopar engines.  Anybody got any news on them??

Sublime/Sixpack

F5 should look good on your car.   A stroker will be fun.  P.S. I'd hang on to the 383 if its the original mill.  Good luck with your resto.
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

hemigeno

Quote from: green69rt on March 11, 2009, 09:29:44 PM
There is a local place near here called DiamondBack motors.  They build a wide selection of Mopar engines.  Anybody got any news on them??

Diamondback used to be owned by Dave Schultz (a/k/a Big Kahuna) from MoparStyle.com.  I thought he still owned it, but when I visited 'Style just now to confirm that fact I found a thread where he said back in January of this year that he no longer owns Diamondback and was liquidating a bunch of parts. 

Are you sure Diamondback is still in business?  Could be that he just sold off to someone else, I dunno.

BTW, welcome to the site.  F3 Green is a good color, a friend of mine has a F3 Green '69 HemiCharger that I like the looks of quite a bit.  Good luck with the resto!

:cheers:

bsakal

Keep it F3! I like F3, that's what color mine is. But it's your car, I'm sure any color you pick will be cool.
69 Charger SE - 66 Chrysler Newport 383

green69rt

Can anyone give me a hint on how to add pictures inside of a note rather than as an attachment?

hemigeno

Quote from: green69rt on March 16, 2009, 07:44:30 AM
Can anyone give me a hint on how to add pictures inside of a note rather than as an attachment?

If the pictures are hosted somewhere -- including pictures already posted on this site --, simply copy and paste the link to the desired picture inside [img][/img ] brackets (without the space inserted before the last bracket).

Lots of information about posting pictures in the Help section too.

:cheers:

426HemiCharger

Keep her all stock - Restoration guideline: If you are not happy with the car and you modify it it wasn't the right car to buy first of all.
------------------------Cars I have now----------------------------
1969 Charger R/T
1998 Ford Econoline 150
2002 Hyundai Elantra GLS
-----------------------Cars I wish I had----------------------------
1969 Charger R/T 4-Speed or Hemi Clone
1970 Charger R/T Hemi Clone
1970  Dodge Polara IL State Police Car
---------------------------Future Posibilities------------------------
2010 or later Ford Fusion Hybrid (Replaces 2002 Hyundai)

PocketThunder

Quote from: 426HemiCharger on March 16, 2009, 09:44:42 PM
Keep her all stock - Restoration guideline: If you are not happy with the car and you modify it it wasn't the right car to buy first of all.

What?   :popcrn:

Maybe the guy can build his car the way he wants.   :Twocents:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Charger_Fan

Quote from: PocketThunder on March 17, 2009, 12:41:20 PM
Quote from: 426HemiCharger on March 16, 2009, 09:44:42 PM

What?   :popcrn:

Maybe the guy can build his car the way he wants.   :Twocents:
:iagree: This car isn't a 1 of 6 HEMI car or something, it's not even an R/T. Building it the way he wants will not make it any less valuable & will make it more fun for him, the owner to drive.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

426HemiCharger

Keeping it stock is not the same as #s matching so that STILL means he can build it the way he wants.

:icon_smile_angry:
------------------------Cars I have now----------------------------
1969 Charger R/T
1998 Ford Econoline 150
2002 Hyundai Elantra GLS
-----------------------Cars I wish I had----------------------------
1969 Charger R/T 4-Speed or Hemi Clone
1970 Charger R/T Hemi Clone
1970  Dodge Polara IL State Police Car
---------------------------Future Posibilities------------------------
2010 or later Ford Fusion Hybrid (Replaces 2002 Hyundai)