News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Warning if you are using stealth heads.

Started by mally69, October 08, 2008, 12:08:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cooter

I am debating on the Stealth heads right now. NEVER buy the first thing out...Let everybody else fid out the problems like customer service, then I buy. :2thumbs:
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

68CoronetRT

Just ordered a set of these heads along with the 10* locks/retainers... Sending out to the machine shop next Wed when they arrive via Fedex.

Did ALOT of reading before this purchase and it seems as if they have worked out most of the bugs. :2thumbs: :popcrn:

68CoronetRT

Welp.... been interesting. I'm running the 5/16 width pushrods and still had to cut the intake pushrod hole. Also running Iron Ductile rockers which I'm not 100% sure are helping with that situation. Other than that everything else has been good.

I did notice the valve tips were a little different heights out of the box, but after the 10* locks/retains they seemed to straighten right up. Machine shop also said they looked good! :2thumbs:

Hopefully I will have the motor in the car and running next weekend. I will report back with some video when it finally does fire and run! :cheers:

JB400

68CoronetRT

I have video but I cant link it from FB... I'll have to upload it to youtube today.

Runs real good though minus the MSD ignition being a pain the butt!

rockitier350

while we are on the head topic looking for a good head for a new block 426 any recommendation just came to the mopar side from gm and seeing that the selection is a lot more limited 8-71 bds blower motor 1000hp
1968 charger restoration in progress
t56 built by rpm transmission
636 hemi
14-71 stage 2 bds blower
1225hp supercharged
0 gas mileage

pippo702

Very reassuring  to read only now about theese heads! I already have them on the ongine along with a stroker kit from them..! :-)
Anyhow I'd like to know what kind of of clearance they have on the roller because I'm looking for valve covers and I don't know which one to pick..my favourites ar the mopar..or the edelbrock elite series but I'm worried that they wouldn't fit..I tried the original ones and they didn't fit..I didn't assembly the heads myself but I believe that they were made with all 440source stuff
thanks

oldcarnut

I have the 440S covers on the stealth heads. I modified them but have room.  Still haven't got the motor built though to run it.  Don't know if this link will help but it has a couple pics that you may be able to refer to.  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,85589.0.html

pippo702

Thanks.. I'll check..but I don't like them so much..I'll get them if they should be the only choice..I love these:

would them fit?

fy469rtse

I believe they will, the stealth heads are alloy copys of the steel heads, everything stock bolt pattern for covers stock as well

pippo702

Quote from: fy469rtse on November 01, 2013, 04:26:01 AM
I believe they will, the stealth heads are alloy copys of the steel heads, everything stock bolt pattern for covers stock as well
thanks,I was mostly concearned about the height..you'right about the bolt pattern..it's the same..

68CoronetRT

Just a quick little update on my heads. I now have roughly 4k miles since the rebuild and just broke a valve spring with a .513 lift cam. Back then they advertised their springs were good to .600 lift. Now when you read the web site they are .510 is MAX before going dual springs. I'm guessing they had similar issues like mine in the last few years.

I will update this post when I find a suitable replacement that will drop right in and be a similar but higher quality spring.

TXcharger70

Quote from: 68CoronetRT on December 04, 2015, 08:12:46 PM
Just a quick little update on my heads. I now have roughly 4k miles since the rebuild and just broke a valve spring with a .513 lift cam. Back then they advertised their springs were good to .600 lift. Now when you read the web site they are .510 is MAX before going dual springs. I'm guessing they had similar issues like mine in the last few years.

I will update this post when I find a suitable replacement that will drop right in and be a similar but higher quality spring.

I had they same thing happen to me. I had one of mine break as well. So junked those valve springs and went with Isky racing valve springs on my stroker. http://iskycams.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=99&products_id=2136

chargervic

I have about 15,000 miles or more on a set of Stealth heads that I bought in 2010. I paid for the upgrade to the Comp parts (keepers & retainers) at the time and have no issues with these parts. My initial problem with one head is that during the installation of the seats at the factory, a small burr of metal from where the seats overlap got caught under one seat and created a leak. This was caught with a vacuum test BEFORE the heads were installed. I did this on the advice of another Stealth customer. I spoke with the guys at 440 Source and they paid for the repair to the head at my machine shop. I now have over 50,000 miles on my 451 stroker, with aluminum roller rockers, Six Pack and no real issues. About 16 MPG (USG) on the highway and the car runs in the high 11's at the track. I used another set of Stealths on a 496 with no issues there either.
As was mentioned in another post, any new part can have issues. After 56 years of building Mopar engines, I've seen a few. Inspect and clean everything well before assembly, do your homework carefully on the combination, measure EVERYTHING and you should have lots of smiles in your miles. I do. :cheers:
1968 Charger 451 Six Pack
2004 3500 Cummins
2002 Grand Caravan