News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Warning if you are using stealth heads.

Started by mally69, October 08, 2008, 12:08:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Musicman

Quote from: mally69 on April 19, 2009, 09:13:51 PM
I had the valves and seats all checked and made sure they were sealing when I assembled my engine.

Valves Checked or Valve work done?

When I purchased my heads I performed a hydrostatic test on the valves just for squirts & wiggles. I wasn't expecting much, and that's pretty much what I got. All the exhaust valves held to 120 psi, but the intake valves all started leaking ever so slightly at around 60 psi... acceptable by some standards, just not mine.

At any rate... Steve has said it pretty well above... make sure it's the actual valve seat leaking by first. If it is try re-seating it as Steve suggested... then go from there. Let us know how you make out...

mally69

Im getting ready to go over now and remove the head for inspection of the problem. When i had the heads checked the first time when they were all brand new i had the valves and seats reground to make sure they were seating correctly. I did have one intake valve that leaked no matter what we did, it was bent so i called  440 source and they ssent me out another valve.  Ill let you know what i find out.

mally69

OK, i got the head off, and i pulled the valve out. It has a decent ring the whole way around and it looks like it should sealing but it's not. I took the head to the machine shop and he is going to redo the valve job on that one so that it seals up. No major problems. Im really unsure what caused this. Im just hoping the valves i have are decent valves and this doesn't happen again. 

Steve P.

Did you try to reseat the valve while under air pressure before pulling the head?? 

If a valve job was just done there is no excuse unless you burned the valve. Even if you didn't notice it, your head guy should have the second he looked at it.  I wonder if you don't have a tight guide....  :shruggy: A slightly bent valve can stick here and there....
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

mally69

yes while the cylinder was full of air and the lock and retainers were still attatched, i opened the valve and let the air slam it shut, but i still had a leak.  When he put the valve in the valve grinder and started to cut, the stone only hit the one part of the valve for just a second then caught up and made a perfect ring around the valve. My guess is i will be buying a new valve.  We just gave it a quick look over to night, he is going to hot tank the head to clean it all up first. I will run down after work tomarow.

1970Moparmann

How ironic.  I just purchased a set of Stealth heads and am happy I read this prior to getting the engine assembled!

Good job guys! :cheers:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

mally69

well what I ended up doing was reseating the valve and it is all sealing up fine now, we also did cut the valve to get that flat edge where it meets the seat to make it seal. Neither of us know why or what cause this to happen. But we are good. :2thumbs:

1970Moparmann

I talked to 440Source today and they said there was a change in supplier for the retainers and locks since the first supply of heads.  The new supplier has been working out much better and better quality.  The stock retainers and locks are a 7 degree good with a cam that's a 510 or less.  Anything above, they suggest the retainer/lock package on the website...
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

mally69

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on April 21, 2009, 10:32:48 PM
I talked to 440Source today and they said there was a change in supplier for the retainers and locks since the first supply of heads.  The new supplier has been working out much better and better quality.  The stock retainers and locks are a 7 degree good with a cam that's a 510 or less.  Anything above, they suggest the retainer/lock package on the website...

I dont know man, i would still change them out.

my73charger

I just changed out my locks and retainers to the Comp 10 degree set.  The locks are way more substantial.   :2thumbs:

mally69

Quote from: my73charger on April 28, 2009, 09:56:51 AM
I just changed out my locks and retainers to the Comp 10 degree set.  The locks are way more substantial.   :2thumbs:

Damn right, they are far more superior than any 7 degree lock.

frederick

my73charger,

Make sure you check the retainer-rocker clearance when using the 10degree retainers and locks.

Frederick

my73charger

Quote from: frederick on April 29, 2009, 12:02:45 PM
my73charger,

Make sure you check the retainer-rocker clearance when using the 10degree retainers and locks.

Frederick

Thanks Frederick.  Will do.

Chatt69chgr

Just had my machinist go through my new Stealth Heads.  Clearance on every valve guide was way too tight.  Everything else OK.  He corrected the problem and we are waiting on a set of Cometic head gaskets so we can put on the heads and measure the pushrod length.  I got a checking lifter and checking pushrod from Hughes.  I'am using their roller tip rockers and shaft.  They said their pushrods are made by Smith Bros. so I will just get them from Hughes.  I had to pay for the checking pushrod and lifter but they will give me my money back when I order my pushrods.  Forgot to say that I had the machinist install new comp cams valve spring retainers and locks and seals.  The valve springs all were OK.  We will be checking the rocker to valve spring retainer clearance once we get those parts all assembled.  I sure hope I don't have any issues there. 

Musicman

I really like the Huges Roller Rockers, especially the design of the shafts with the Banana Cut for improved oiling.
You made a good choice there  :2thumbs:  At least that's my opinion  :cheers:

73chgrSE

Just wondering, are stealth heads made in China? Aren't some of the other parts like rockers from China as well? I'm not trying to stir up things I just wanna know.

defiance

Aussiemadonmopars

...and the problem with the head gaskets?? was that one resolved?

idahogrumpy

On the Hughes roller rocker pay careful attention to the area under the rocker closest to the valve spring retainer, we had clearance issues there and ended up sending ours back to Hughes. Hughes told us to add shims to get the clearance we needed. We did, and after the stack was finished to get clearance we had over 120 thousandths. This to me was unacceptable. We went with Indy roller rockers, they fit correctly. We have the Indy 440 ez heads yours maybe fine. We did use the Hughes rocker shafts and hold downs,,, Good stuff.  :Twocents: Kyle   
Too much to say
Too much to do
Too tired to get it done
Too stubborn to give up
GRUMPY
Modified 73 440 Charger, 03 Intrepid SXT, 02 Neon and 2001 Ram 1500 .

Musicman

Quote from: Aussiemadonmopars on May 31, 2009, 11:40:25 AM
...and the problem with the head gaskets?? was that one resolved?

There is no problem with the gaskets, you just need to use the correct gasket with the right bore diameter.

Aussiemadonmopars

I'm running with a 400" stroked to 496" using the 440 source stuff. So a 400" block plus 40 thou. Got any suggestions which brand of head gasket to use? Also looking at the piston for this kit and it seems very very short, starting to think maybe I went to big...

Musicman

The combustion chambers of the Stealth heads are much larger than your cylinder bore. With the Stealth heads your typically looking at a gasket with a 4.5" diameter... maybe 4.6" in some extreme cases. As far as name brand is concerned, I put my trust in the Cometic MLS head gaskets with aluminum heads.
Do it once and do it right... :2thumbs:

Aussiemadonmopars

I bumped into this little forum while doing a google search. Seems that Indy is coppin a blaggin' as well. Is this the same as Indy Cylinder Head Services or another company with the same name.

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2179327

frederick

Although I purchased the recommended ROL head gasket, I thought I'd see how wel it matches just before bolting on the heads.
Slight overhang in 2 of the ports, might not cause a problem.
Also had an used Fel-Pro 8519 so tried that on and.... fits perfectly.
So went to the store and bought some 8519's, checked again to be safe, perfect fit.

Just saw that they now also recommend them at 440source.

1Bad70Charger

So several months later what is everyone's feedback on the 440source alum. 440 Cylinder heads, now thta we have been told that we should upgrade to the stonger locks and retainers.

I am about to pull the trigger on these with the upgraded locks and retainers and do you owner give a :2thumbs: on this decision, vs paying 50 to 75% more vs the Eddy ALum heads and Mopar 452 Alum. Heads! 

Thanks in advance for your feedback!  :cheers:
48 year old Self Employed Trial Lawyer (I fight the ambulance chasers); 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner A12 Tribute Car, Built 505ci; Silver 2008 Hemi Dodge Challenger SRT8, Black 2006 Corvette Z06 427ci LS7-Keep God First, Family Second and Horsepower Third.  Interests:  God, Fast American Cars (old and new), Classic Muscle Cars, German Sheperds, Guns, Animals and the Great Outdoors (sick of Chicago).