News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Black Ice Superbird...Next Chapter Now with pics !!!

Started by hotrod98, November 27, 2009, 12:00:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotrod98

We're a drag racing family around here. So, I thought I would show you guys a pic of my grandson. We're getting him used to sitting in a junior dragster since he's only a few years away from joining us in the staging lanes. He loved it. I think he managed to turn every knob and flip every switch. He's 14 months old.

He's going to join us when we take our first ride in the Superbird this weekend. I wanted him to be a part of it so that he can grow up knowing that he was able to share that moment with his grandparents.

Pics of the ride will follow.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Dave Kanofsky

That's awesome!

Love the RFC sticker on it too!
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

superbirdtom

Quote from: hotrod98 on April 20, 2010, 09:48:30 PM
We're a drag racing family around here. So, I thought I would show you guys a pic of my grandson. We're getting him used to sitting in a junior dragster since he's only a few years away from joining us in the staging lanes. He loved it. I think he managed to turn every knob and flip every switch. He's 14 months old.

He's going to join us when we take our first ride in the Superbird this weekend. I wanted him to be a part of it so that he can grow up knowing that he was able to share that moment with his grandparents.

Pics of the ride will follow.He can flip the aigrabber switch!

WilliesDaytona

I vote fat and skinny american racing  2 piece trak stars, they would look killer with the black chrome look the centers have. just my  :Twocents:

hotrod98

I've always enjoyed running different rims and tires on my cars from time to time. We have a cruise-in in a nearby town that we like to attend. I would love to show up with a different set of rims at each show.
I have the Centerlines of course, a set of rallyes, a set of Boyds, a set of steelies and a set of Torq Thrust D's.
I had a new set of Magnum 500's but Allen got them with his Daytona-clona.
I'll definitely have the Centerlines on the car at the wingcar gathering in Branson in June.
As for the first car show, they've increased the chance of rain on Saturday to 50%. That's not a good sign.

Charles Addams

learical1

Quote from: hotrod98 on April 21, 2010, 01:38:15 PM
As for the first car show, they've increased the chance of rain on Saturday to 50%. That's not a good sign.

This car's been in a snowbank, and you're worried about some rain?  :shruggy:
Bruce

hotrod98

Getting the car out in the rain doesn't bother me. It's the whole being the only car there at the car show that kind of gets to me.

Charles Addams

41husk

I was going to brieng the Daytona out for it's show debut this weekend, but it is calling for rain all weekend here as well :brickwall:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

moparstuart

Quote from: hotrod98 on April 21, 2010, 09:48:33 PM
Getting the car out in the rain doesn't bother me. It's the whole being the only car there at the car show that kind of gets to me.

that car makes it own show where ever it goes   :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

41husk

Larry, are you taking the Bird to your local show?  I just got word the show here for tommorow has been post poned :brickwall:
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

hotrod98

The rain stopped about noon today so we strapped the car seat in the back and loaded up my grandson and drove downtown. They allowed us to park right in the middle of the street on the local square. A lot of people were there just to see the bird. One of my friends said that everyone thought they had the baddest ride in town until we showed up.
The strange part is that even though finally getting to drive the Superbird was wonderful, the very fact that I was able to make that first trip with my wife and my grandson was the best part of all. I'll never forget it.
We know that our families are more important than our toys but sometimes it just hits you real hard right between the eyes.
My son has many pics on his camera. I chose not to spoil my experience by looking through a camera today.
I'll post a few pics tomorrow.

Charles Addams

41husk

Great news Larry, congratulations on the day and I look foreward to those pictures.
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

hotrod98

Quote from: 41husk on April 25, 2010, 02:53:23 PM
Great news Larry, congratulations on the day and I look foreward to those pictures.

Thanks Allen.
I absolutely love my Superbird. It is definitely the best car that I've ever owned. I can't count your car since it wasn't finished until after it was officially yours.  ;D
All day long at the show, all I could think of is how nice it would have been to have had your car sitting there with mine. Can't wait for Branson.

Pics should be up tonight.

Charles Addams

41husk

I look foreward to parking next to Black Ice, I won't be in Branson until Thursday morning.  I have not been able to drive the Daytona as much as I would like but I heve driven it more than any of my cars.  I know the square I think we stopped at a little antique mall one of the days we came down to see the car ( get in you and your sons way)  I simply love the car !!!!  Thank You!
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

hotrod98

I have a few things more to do to the bird to make it truly roadworthy. I need to change the headlamp switch. The taillights and side markers don't work. Tom included one with the car so that made it a little easier for me. I plan to rebuild the front end, but it really drives pretty nice. I'll do a few mechanical things before really getting it out away from home.
I'm really surprised at how this car has stayed in such great shape considering it's 40 years old. The underside of the car is all original and still has it's undercoating intact. The exhaust system has seen better days but is still together and actually sounds great.
We still had my grandson's car seat in the car so we buckled him in and took him to McDonalds this morning.  It's going to be difficult to go anywhere without telling the life story of the Black Ice Superbird. I've even got people following me around hoping I'll stop somewhere.
This is going to be worse than the Cudas or the wingrunner.   :icon_smile_big:

Charles Addams

hotrod98

Okay. Here's a few pics of the car at it's unveiling.

Here's a rundown on what I've done to the car other than paint.

I removed the damaged front spoiler and installed one that Mike Goyette at Dayclona made for me.
I also installed the correct turn signals that I bought from Doug and the new repro lenses that Mike Ross at BEA is selling. I also removed the shaded covers from the turn signal openings. They were both cracked.
I removed the six pack emblems from the hood and replaced the hood pins with newer ones.

As for the interior, I replaced the seat covers and carpet and removed the console and console shifter and replaced it with the correct non-console shifter. I also replaced the package tray. I reinstalled the original door trim panels. They still look pretty nice as did the dash pad and the rest of the interior. The headliner is very nice as well.
I need to get a few pics of the interior. Maybe tomorrow.

On the rear of the car I had the bumper rechromed. It didn't look too bad but it was showing it's age. In the trunk, I bead blasted the wing braces and repainted them and installed a new trunk lid gasket.

I will need to repaint the right front fender. It has a few fisheyes which I think was caused by trash blowing out of the headlamp right headlamp bucket due to my poor taping. The body is very straight. There are very few flaws. I didn't paint the wing since it was pretty nice and I didn't want to go through the hassle of installing the wing decals. I had enough trouble applying the ones to the 69 runner last year.

Anyway, the show was down on attendance due to the bad weather earlier in the day. We took home a top 25 trophy despite my not opening the hood or the trunk which they usually require. I didn 't have time to freshen up under the hood and I think that the car makes a better display with the hood and deck lid down. Certainly makes for better photos. I wonder how many pics were taken yesterday.

I want to thank Tom Ferry for helping me live mine and my wife's dream. He worked his tail off getting this car ready to ship to me. That's an entire other story right there. He will always be an important part of the history of this car.

I also want to thank my son, Brent, and my friend, Adam, for helping get this thing together at the last minute.  I couldn't have done it without them. They are true professionals and I'm lucky to have them working here with me.

More pics to come.

Charles Addams

xs29j8Bullitt

After 8 years of downsizing, whats left...
1968 Charger R/T, Automatic, 426 Hemi
1968 Polara 4Dr Sdn, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1968 Polara 4Dr HT, Automatic, 383
1969 Charger 500, 4 Speed, 440 Magnum
1969 Daytona, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1969 Road Runner, 4 Speed, 426 Hemi
1970 `Cuda, Automatic, 440-6BBL
1970 Challenger T/A, Automatic, 340 6 Pack
2004 Ram, Automatic, 5.7L Hemi
2009 Challenger SRT8, Automatic, 6.1L Hemi
<This Space Reserved for a 2016 Challenger SRT Hellcat, 8Sp Automatic,

oldcarnut

Looks great  :2thumbs:.  I'm liking the hoods I've been seeing on the Birds.  

Charger-Bodie

Looks great Larry! Glad yor wife got to get out in it too.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

41husk

1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

hotrod98

We didn't have time to paint the front spoiler. I think it'll look much better black. I'm also thinking about putting flat black Plymouth decals on the quarters and possibly put the flat black Superbird stripes on the back edge of the deck lid.
I have an NOS right hand mirror and would like to find either an NOS left mirror or a really nice original. I also need to locate an original antenna.
I'm going to attempt to use as many oem parts on the car as possible and try to stay away from repro items.

I want to personalize the car some but keep the Black Ice look as much as possible.

Charles Addams

moparstuart

I had david make that super bird deck lid stripe custom , in white reflective for me when i scratched my road runner one .  He said no one had ever asked for it before .   Still dont have it installed yet   :brickwall:   
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

DAY CLONA

Looks good Larry!,...I'm glad to see you, Sandra and your Grandson got out to enjoy yourselves, and  Blackbird,.....just a thought on the mirrors, have you considered the mid year optional 1970 B body racing mirrors, they were avaliable in chrome or body color, real nice design befitting a car like Blackbird,...if your interested, I have a remote drivers side, body color, in nice shape,....yours for the asking, as I'm not doing anything with it,....you'd need to source the passenger side, which is avaliable from Mike at BEAParts.....let me know dude

Mike

superbirdtom

Quote from: hotrod98 on April 26, 2010, 08:58:03 AM
We didn't have time to paint the front spoiler. I think it'll look much better black. I'm also thinking about putting flat black Plymouth decals on the quarters and possibly put the flat black Superbird stripes on the back edge of the deck lid.
I have an NOS right hand mirror and would like to find either an NOS left mirror or a really nice original. I also need to locate an original antenna.
I'm going to attempt to use as many oem parts on the car as possible and try to stay away from repro items.

I want to personalize the car some but keep the Black Ice look as much as possible.
-------------------LOOKS GREAT LARRY I THINK A BLACK TRANSVERSE STRIPE SAYING SUPERBIRD WOULD LOOK COOL ON THE BACK. THE TURN SIGNALS IN THE NOSE LOOK GREAT  i NEVER HAD THEM  THOSE I HAD CAME OUT OF A 70 CORONET, GLAD U LEFT IN THE FOG LAMPS  THEY LOOK BADASS AND REALLY HELP ON DARK LONLEY ROADS. I LIKE THE HOODPIN CABLES AS I NEVER HAD THEM THEY LOOK GOOD.  YEAH MORE PICS MORE PICS.WHEN I OWNED IT NO MATTER HOW ANY TIMES I DROVE IT ,WHEN YOU HOP IN THE COVKPIT I ALWAYS GOT A RUSH OF ADRENALINE

hotrod98

Mike,
I bought the correct nos passenger side so I guess I'll try to find the driver's side. I appreciate the offer. That spoiler that you made lined right up with the original holes and bolted up with no problems. How do you do that?  :yesnod:

Tom,
As for the adrenaline rush, I know exactly what you mean. I always planned to keep the fog lamps. They look great and they may come in handy some dark night. I can't get over how clean the inside of the nose is. There is no rust or buildup whatsoever. This car just keeps throwing out surprises. I had a guy ask me if I had restored the car. I said, no it didn't need to be restored. I just freshened up the paint a little. I never, ever intended for this car to be some perfect trailer queen, but it's actually ended up being nicer than I had planned.

Charles Addams