News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Original Superbird Bumper Jack or Jacks?

Started by Mopar John, September 15, 2018, 01:46:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mopar John

Quote from: 62 Max on October 11, 2018, 04:43:00 PM
John,my jack is original to the car,T style,mast is exactly 33 1/2" with small hole on the end,no date code,just A stamped below handle insert. Hook is  2931 103,vendor 10961,base stamped A-B.
I am beginning to wonder if they cut the masts at random lengths of a longer piece?
Thanks for your measurements and details!
MJ

TONY

Doing research prior to making my repro jacks i gathered the following info on T-type jack lengths:

67-9 Cuda Jack Mast Length 33-1/2"

68-70 Charger Jack Mast Length 36" (2 Checked out at 36")

My unrestored Superbird  34-3/4"

an original 70 Challenger 34-5/8"

so from what ive found, the length wasn't a consistent

Mopar John

Quote from: TONY on October 12, 2018, 08:50:29 AM
Doing research prior to making my repro jacks i gathered the following info on T-type jack lengths:

67-9 Cuda Jack Mast Length 33-1/2”

68-70 Charger Jack Mast Length 36” (2 Checked out at 36”)

My unrestored Superbird  34-3/4”

an original 70 Challenger 34-5/8”

so from what ive found, the length wasn't a consistent

Tony,
Thanks for taking the time to post your information on bumper jacks!
With your unrestored Superbird we have 33 1/2", 34 1/4", 34 3/4" and 34 3/4" on mast length so far.
MJ

billssuperbird

Thank you for the scissor Jack handle measurements

Mopar John

Superbird Bumper Jack Conclusions!
Over the past couple of weeks I have reached out to friends who own original Superbirds to find out information on the bumper jacks.
I also made a trip to Troy Angelly's shop who has 2 Superbirds there and contacted another shop that has 2 more Superbirds there.
Here are my conclusions based on what I think are original Superbird bumper jacks:
1) All of the original jacks are of the "T" or "Y" mast type and none have been the tubular type!
   So far we have one reported at 33 1/2" long but the majority are 34 1/2" +or- 1/4" and one at 36 5/8" that I suspect may be a C body mast?
2) All of the original jacks have gray painted A-B bases with the extra hole drilled at the 4:30 position for other applications.
3) All of the original jacks have gray painted hooks with part number 2931 103 stamped into them and the vendor code 10961 stamped into them using the "small" font.
4) all of the original jacks have gray painted mechanism's with the oval strengthing depression running along the hook angle.
   So far we have found one mechanism as early as 9 E or May 1969 along with a couple of 9 J September, several 9 K October and a couple of 9 L November with none 9 M December.

For those of you now looking for a correct jack for your Superbird as of 11/6/18 there is one listed on the Detroit Craigslist site under Mopar for $500.00!
Thanks for all the help on this!
MJ

odcics2

I don't even own a Bird, but I'm all jacked up about this thread.

Good info. Always great to get the facts out there.
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Birdflu

62 Max

Quote from: odcics2 on November 07, 2018, 12:20:32 PM
I don't even own a Bird, but I'm all jacked up about this thread.

Good info. Always great to get the facts out there.

I can fix you right up !!   :icon_smile_big:

Mopar John

SUPERBIRD TIRE IRONS!
  I have been asking our member graybo about details on his LOW milage and original Superbird items.
Here is what we know about his bumper jack:
It has an A-B base painted gray
It has a 34 9/16 long mast
The jack mechanism is painted gray and the date code is 9L or November 1969!
The hook is part number 2931 103 with vendor code 10961 and small font and painted gray

Now onto the tire iron!
My first picture is of the graybo tire iron measured the simple way that I asked and measures right at 17 1/2"
I didn't want to get into angles corners and all that.
The second picture is of another Superbird tire iron that measures just under 18"
The third picture is of the socket size for original assembly line lug nuts.
So when your checking your tire irons find a 3/4" headed bolt and see if it fits?
The last picture is of some assembly line NOS lug nuts.
I dug these out to measure the size for the tire irons.
If you notice in the picture these are not as nice as the reproductions.
The center of the face have all differant types of shapes.
The lug nuts are not perfect castings and there are lines down the sides of most!
MJ

Wingnut426

Size matters!  I measured my tire iron and it is 19" and it has the same bend as Graybo's.  I was going to swap to the 69 style, which measures 22 1/4, but I think I'll leave it as is.  :Twocents: WINGNUT
HEMI Daytona Convertible

DoubleDlover

mannn... you guys dont know jack s***.. LOLOLOL Just messing. :)

XS29J

here is one matches your description. going for sale in parts section. 

XS29J

birdsandbees

I see you sold the jack, I sent you an email about 4 minutes after you posted it with no reply. Guess i was too slow...  :scratchchin: EDIT... HA.. sold to me  :yesnod: Thanks!
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

Mopar John

Recently someone contacted me about the bolt for the spare tire hold down stud.
So I thought I would attach a couple of pictures here since it's a jack related item.
The correct bolt is a "H" headed black phosphate bolt with a black phosphate nut-washer.
MJ

Mopar John

Superbird Jack Update!
About a year after posting about Superbird bumper jacks we made a trip down to Troy Angelly's shop.
We picked up our correct Superbird bumper jack parts all restored and ready to install.
I will share the details soon over on my Superbird restoration post!
MJ

Birdflu