News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rechroming DS Remote Mirror- How does it come apart?

Started by LL1 1967 Coronet, March 21, 2007, 02:48:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LL1 1967 Coronet

My drivers remote chrome mirror is original and nice for age, but in sunlight has noticeable haze (same mirror used on 1966-69 B-bodies). I'm not sure how the remote cable and miirror head are removed for rechroming. The cables look fragile and are tightly pressed fitted into the joystick mechanism. I read on how someone else did it, but I don't have the patience  Can anyone recommend a shop to do the work?

rudyjrusa

removed the mirror from door - now need to remove the glass out of mirror base - how do you remove glass from chrome base??  i see two screws - it is hard to get to the screws - does glass just pop out??  help!!!

71 Bee Man

Quote from: rudyjrusa on September 29, 2007, 06:35:30 PM
removed the mirror from door - now need to remove the glass out of mirror base - how do you remove glass from chrome base??  i see two screws - it is hard to get to the screws - does glass just pop out??  help!!!

I'm with you....I want to take the galss out for rechroming, BUT HOW THE HELL DO YOU GET TO THOSE SCREWS ????????

Peter :brickwall:
Add your details to the Forum members List. Visit this thread to find out more :
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,21133.240.html

charger Downunder

If i remember right look up from the bottom where it mounts to the door take of the bottom mount one srew you should then see another screw undo this one the mirror should come out with the remote cable, none remote you will see a hole put a long allen key in their and undo it i dont remember the size try to shine some light up the hole to see if its an allen key or scew its been some time since i stuffed around with these mirrors.
[/quote]

Nacho-RT74

the plate where the glass is glued does have the holes to get a straight screwdriver and remove the screws. If you make to unglue the glass without break it you are allmost done!!!. I'm still trying to remove the glass for the passenger side.

If not then you need to get the screws with a 90º screwdriver, but they usually are stuck that makes really hard, if not imposible try to loose those screws. That's my case and thats the reason why I'm trying to remove the glass... If somebody knows how to get loose the glass glue from plate will be great!!! angled screwdrivers are not able to drive with torque I need to loose the screws.

I made it on driver side mirror with 90º screwdriver, but that was because screws weren't stuck,.

about the wires... you need to spread up the crimped area on joystick where wires are attached. You need make it with care. I made it and didn't  crimp again, just used epoxy to get it attached back

note BE SURE YOU LABEL where was every wire on joystick to be sure glass movement will match with joystick movement once you reassembly.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

bill440rt

Have you looked into just getting a repro remote mirror? For the time you're gonna spend taking it apart, putting it back together, and then chrome work, a repro mirror can be had relatively cheap. Best of all, you'll have new glass, & it comes with all the mounting hardware.
Looks like they've come down in price, they used to be over $200:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/66-70-Charger-Roadrunner-Coronet-GTX-LH-REMOTE-Mirror_W0QQitemZ120165102960QQihZ002QQcategoryZ140707QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce