News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Debate ? Early 1969s are better than late

Started by XS29LA47V21, July 28, 2020, 09:37:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XS29LA47V21

It occurred to me most of my 69 Chargers are early cars.  I do not have any clue why.  While with a cold one, I pondered why while hanging in the shop last wkend.  What I am sure of is early 69s look and are better than late 69.  Just saying.  Maybe you do not care, that is ok too.  If you care, why?

ok, might be one exception, F6 cars...ok.

Do you even have a preference?

70 sublime

69 is a 69

My 69 car has a build date of 807 so it's birthday is coming up quick  :2thumbs:

Early cars have a few odd things but don't think that makes them any better than the later cars

PS I seem to keep painting my Chargers F6 so I like that colour too
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Kern Dog

Quote from: XS29LA47V21 on July 28, 2020, 09:37:42 PM
Just saying.  

What does that phrase mean?
Seriously.
I see it written, I have heard it spoken. It never makes sense to me.
I am a very curious person and have a nagging desire to learn why things are how they are.
The phrase is pointless in my opinion. It would be equally strange to put Just writing at the end of every sentence.
Back on topic....
What is your original point here ? Are you suggesting that there are enough differences between early and late builds to make one better than the other?
I can appreciate a guy posting stuff to promote conversation but I don't understand the point of this topic.   :shruggy:

XH29N0G

The premise behind this thread will not only drive a wedge between the 69ers but also digs at the 1970 2nd gen model that follows .... and might be twisted by the 68 crowd.   :smilielol:

Funny how things go.  I was thinking about 'just sayin' and your comment KD.  I didn't know its common usage until I looked it up just now.  Wow.  It has its detractors.   
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

Bronzedodge

It occurred to me most of my 69 Chargers are early cars.  I do not have any clue why.  While with a cold one, I pondered why while hanging in the shop last wkend.  What I am sure of is early 69s look and are better than late 69. 

What are you talking about, really?  Bumper guard height?  Or did you have too many cold ones?
Mopar forever!

Johnnys440Charger

Quote from: 70 sublime on July 28, 2020, 10:00:20 PM
My 69 car has a build date of 807

you gave me an idea for a thread.    Post your build date for your 69 Charger.   I hope a thread like this hasn't been started.    :popcrn:  :scratchchin: 

maxwellwedge

New model year introductions always brought the majority of the model year car sales earlier than later in the year. People were always anxious to see the "new" models and most bought or put in their orders then. That's probably why your cars were mostly earlier ones....odds are there's more of them.
As far as early vs late - one being better over the other. Is that a thing? Just saying.... Lol

RallyeMike

Everyone knows that a real 69 was built in 69, The early model 69s that were built in 68 are posers.

Discuss.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

70 sublime

Quote from: RallyeMike on July 29, 2020, 09:29:08 AM
Everyone knows that a real 69 was built in 69, The early model 69s that were built in 68 are posers.

Discuss.

HA HA HA

not
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Kern Dog on July 28, 2020, 11:17:49 PM
Just saying.  

Seriously.
I am a very curious person and have a nagging desire to learn why things are how they are.

Some call it a "fire escape", a phrase used to indicate that the user refuses to defend a claim he's made---in other words, that he refuses to offer reasons that what he's said is true.

Pretty much the same as IMHO.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

JB400

Only things that come to mind are door buttons, black vs  chrome, and bumper guard length in front.

Challenger340

I've also wondered in the past about production quality by dates..... and colors ?

I had the full time lead Mechanic from a notable Collection(200+ Cars) at my place one day looking at our Charger R/T SE.
This guy seemed very knowledgable, IMO moreso with the GM and Ford products of the era but nonetheless he seemed to know Mopars as well ? and the Collection he maintains for hold seats at BOTH Barret andf Mecum if that adds any credibility ?
His contention.....
was that higher end and BLACK Cars especially from ALL Manu's were selected from the best 'body in whites' as it were.... for better fit & finish and because for example a 'black' car would show imperfections far worse than a white/yellow or red example ?

I have a hard time same as probably many here would have.... believing than any 1960's auto production line would deliberately and cognizantly strive to make Higher end or 'BLACK" Cars appear better simply because the extra time required would NOT have been available ?
Nonetheless,
our R/T SE is a survivor, un-modified since new and 'Black'..... and the fit/finish and body gaps are all remarkable/very good throughout ? VERY straight body.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

6bblgt

the spec's for a car were determined before that car was built - there was not a room full of bodies to pull from - they already had identities

XS29LA47V21

Quote from: maxwellwedge on July 29, 2020, 08:52:34 AM
New model year introductions always brought the majority of the model year car sales earlier than later in the year. People were always anxious to see the "new" models and most bought or put in their orders then. That's probably why your cars were mostly earlier ones....odds are there's more of them.
As far as early vs late - one being better over the other. Is that a thing? Just saying.... Lol

I would like to say you always have good points to share.  Thank you for those and all those I get to read.   I would agree with your statement. Thanks.

And just saying I wanted to start a thread.  Really. 

It is also true I like low guards.  Not crazy about 68 shifter unless it a 68 or 500...  :hah:  In a 68 they look great for sure.

Oh and also saying perhaps F6 would look goofy with low guards.... :smilielol: :smilielol:

Kern Dog

Quote from: John_Kunkel on July 29, 2020, 11:01:52 AM
Quote from: Kern Dog on July 28, 2020, 11:17:49 PM
Just saying.  

Seriously.

Some call it a "fire escape", a phrase used to indicate that the user refuses to defend a claim he's made---in other words, that he refuses to offer reasons that what he's said is true.

Pretty much the same as IMHO.
That is interesting. I like that explanation.
The "In my opinion" sounds more intelligent by a long shot. Telling someone that "I'm just sayin" is completely redundant if taken literally. I KNOW that you are just sayin because I speak English and can hear you.

Kern Dog

v21hemicharger

4cruzin

Well I didn't know there was a difference?   :shruggy:
Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .

Nacho-RT74

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Kern Dog

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on July 31, 2020, 10:28:55 AM
Quote from: Kern Dog on July 31, 2020, 12:01:25 AM
Did I kill this topic with logic ?

no, simply is off topic
Not if the language distracts from the topic.
If a good looking girl standing in front of you is naked while talking to you, do you actually hear her talking or look at her body?
That is how bad grammar is to me. It distracts me from the message.

XH29N0G

Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

Kern Dog

Yeah...they use that to their advantage too !   :eek2:

greycharger

Is that the prevailing opinion?
I've heard similar opinions of the 1968 Corvette and the 1968 E Types. They are considered lemons by the serious collectors of the cars. Improvements, some possibly mid-year, make the 69's much more desirable as time passes. 1968 was the first year of the C3 and Series 2 respectively, and that might explain early build issues. So did the 69 Mopars change during the year?

duckmanreno

I though this was a Charger forum not a Mercury outboard where they just change stuff in mid
Year for no reason!
22 Ford F-150 5.0 super cab FX4 hunting rig and tow vehicle
92 Toyota Tercel.  Commute Car
69 Charger 383 4 speed project car.
73 Boston Whaler Montauk

A bad day hunting beats a good day at work!

Kern Dog

I know a guy that is a Dodge dealer parts guy. He said that every year, the manufacturers have to change a certain amount of components to qualify for some prestigious insider industry award. Strange thing. Maybe this has been going on for awhile.
I find it strange that cars used to change a LOT from year to year, then by the 70s, some were very similar for many years.
Look at the 1970-81 Camaro and Firebird. Aside from bumper and light changes, the car looks almost the same for 12 model years.
1978-88 GM Monte Carlo, Gran Prix. Olds Cutlass, Buick Regal.
1979-92 Ford Mustang.
1972-93 Dodge truck !