News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Do "real" Daytona fenders have that little brace?

Started by Daytona R/T SE, November 16, 2007, 05:28:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aero426

Quote from: hemigeno on November 18, 2007, 11:35:35 PM
These scoops/exhausters/vents look like they serve a purpose and it ain't tire clearance...   :icon_smile_big:

I don't disagree.  Those cars also have managed air being force fed to the brake rotors from the top of the nose. 

What's not clear is whether the wing car scoops served a secondary purpose, and exactly how much.    I recall the fender exhausters comment and a small drag reduction.  Again, it's not clear on whether that was proved out on a scale model or the real car.

Aero426

Good point.  This would be an excellent photo to show those guys and ask for an explanation.   

hemigeno

The document that aerowarriors.com points to as the best evidence for a purpose other than tire clearance is the one below from Greg Kwiatkowski's collection.  The interesting thing to me is that another setup tried was "bulged" fenders.  They may initially have been trying to solve an actual or anticipated tire clearance problem, but the scoops had a positive impact on drag of 4% over bulges in the fenders.  Also, the scoops on that photo Allen posted of the #99 [edit - #71] car did not extend all the way to the outer edge of the fender, where tire interference would be encountered first.

:scratchchin:

Aero426

Quote from: hemigeno on November 19, 2007, 12:13:37 AM
The document that aerowarriors.com points to as the best evidence for a purpose other than tire clearance is the one below from Greg Kwiatkowski's collection.  The interesting thing to me is that another setup tried was "bulged" fenders.  They may initially have been trying to solve an actual or anticipated tire clearance problem, but the scoops had a positive impact on drag of 4% over bulges in the fenders.  Also, the scoops on that photo Allen posted of the #99 car did not extend all the way to the outer edge of the fender, where tire interference would be encountered first.

Yes, that's the document.   That is a 3/8 scale model test.  Were those numbers proven out full scale?  I don't believe there is a record of that.

Agree on Allen's photo of the #71.  

xs29j8Bullitt

If I recall correctly, the bulged fenders were shown in one of the pictures of the wind tunnel report.  I need to find the reports!  :brickwall:

Allen
After 8 years of downsizing, whats left...
1968 Charger R/T, Automatic, 426 Hemi
1968 Polara 4Dr Sdn, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1968 Polara 4Dr HT, Automatic, 383
1969 Charger 500, 4 Speed, 440 Magnum
1969 Daytona, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1969 Road Runner, 4 Speed, 426 Hemi
1970 `Cuda, Automatic, 440-6BBL
1970 Challenger T/A, Automatic, 340 6 Pack
2004 Ram, Automatic, 5.7L Hemi
2009 Challenger SRT8, Automatic, 6.1L Hemi
<This Space Reserved for a 2016 Challenger SRT Hellcat, 8Sp Automatic,

hemigeno

Same scoops on this early picture of the "probe" car  (MAN am I glad they didn't call this car "Probe")...

440mop

Regarding the picture of the early scoops, if you were to be looking up at them from inside the fender they look very much like NACA ducts, which were specifically designed to draw air through them without creating drag.
440 4spd Daytona - Sold
Auckland New Zealand

Aero426

Quote from: 440mop on November 19, 2007, 12:30:27 AM
Regarding the picture of the early scoops, if you were to be looking up at them from inside the fender they look very much like NACA ducts, which were specifically designed to draw air through them without creating drag.

It is a lot like an upside-down NACA duct.  Then another question is, "Why didn't they just use a NACA duct?  Why did they make it wider?

pettybird

Here's some more compelling pictures for the tire clearance camp--these are the #71 car from the Talladega museum:

Here's the TSB on 'bird scoop cutouts

Here are pics of the #88 (recreation?  what's the story on this car again? 2x2?)  The people in red are important, and there's some guy in blue.  They jumped the ropes, poked their heads inside the car, opened the hood.  It was awesome.  Someone at the meet asked what they'd say if security came by.  Gary Rhomberg (I think--Doug?) said "we'll tell them we're the original owners."  Priceless.

Also a pic of Buddy Baker poking his head through the wing like the record run--possibly the best part of an incredible meet. 

Aero426

Charlie Glotzbach,  Buddy Baker and Larry "I put the scoops on the car" Rathgeb.    I'll take credit for asking Baker to re-create the photo with the board.    His comment was along the lines of, "I thought I was holding a tire or something".  Been a long time.

Aero426

George Wallace and Larry Rathgeb are confirming the intake manifold on the museum #88 is the 2 x 2 car. 

Aero426

If it hasn't been made clear, these two cars are the same.   They are also the illegal 2 x 2 Charger that Isaac drove at Daytona in July '68.

C5X DAYTONA

Quote from: Aero426 on November 19, 2007, 01:12:30 PM
If it hasn't been made clear, these two cars are the same.  They are also the illegal 2 x 2 Charger that Isaac drove at Daytona in July '68.

Sorry to bring up an old thread.   Doug,   When I talked to Bob McCurry around 2005 I asked him about the #88 car in the Talladega museum to get his take on it.     He said  Talladega wanted the 200 MPH Daytona.  So they (Chrysler) took the mule and put Daytona sheet metal on it and sent it them.     Be awesome to see the clone #88 car in Talladega back to the mule. 
Caution.... Low flying aircraft.

odcics2

I sent Tim Wellborn the photos of the mule at Chelsea many years ago. I asked John Pointer if he was on board to help built a 'new' nose and wing for it, since he did the originals... He was!

Best laid plans...
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

wingcar

I think once we find Amelia Earhart's plane we will finally know the complete story...until then, I have to go with what the Chrysler Engineers from back in the day have told us....................(just my two cents :Twocents:)
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

odcics2

I'll go with the hard data that John Pointer put together and the fact that he was VERY surprised to see it surface after all the years!   The "knowing wink" when asked about the 3% drag reduction for the scoops told it all...   

C5X DAYTONA

Great,  now 2 threads on the same thing..   But yes, the 3% came after the engineers told him to fix the fender top.   Pointer did an awesome job.  But after he was to informed to work on the clearance issue the engineers had before and saw it was going to come back.    Just ask the engineers...  Wait, we did.  Wallace's comment was,  we need the clearance.  It was up to Pointer to design it.  That was his expertise..   The Daytona is in fact Pointer's design.  But the engineers wanted that fender modified now that they could according to the Grand National Rules.   And Pointer fixed it..   There is no doubt that Pointer made it with an aero advantage.    But the engineers were first to point out that spot on the fender top that they saw on his aero packing per his first drawing.   

C5X DAYTONA

Quote from: odcics2 on July 09, 2012, 04:27:53 PM
I sent Tim Wellborn the photos of the mule at Chelsea many years ago. I asked John Pointer if he was on board to help built a 'new' nose and wing for it, since he did the originals... He was!

Best laid plans...
That would of been awesome to have Pointer fix that car.   Hopefully some day soon it will be back to it's Mule configuration.  IMHO

Daytona Guy

The document that aerowarriors.com points to as the best evidence for a purpose other than tire clearance is the one below from Greg Kwiatkowski's collection.  The interesting thing to me is that another setup tried was "bulged" fenders.  They may initially have been trying to solve an actual or anticipated tire clearance problem, but the scoops had a positive impact on drag of 4% over bulges in the fenders.  Also, the scoops on that photo Allen posted of the #99 [edit - #71] car did not extend all the way to the outer edge of the fender, where tire interference would be encountered first.

Hemigeno,

When I read that report - I was under the impression that the bulging of the fenders was not referring to the top of the fender, but was referring to the top side of the inner fender for tire clearance as seen in that red Daytona fender (fender scoop) pic in the above post. That is what produced drag - but necessary for turning and the fact that the tires would rub on the "upper side" of the inner fender. Look how far out they bulge or flared the fenders on the side, it seems hard to believe that that tire would then travel and hit the middle of the top fender. If they turned the tire hard L or R (trying to correct a hard drift) and the tire traveled up that high – it could shred the tire. I don't think the geometry allowed for that. Just thinking out loud  :scratchchin:

Dane

Daytona Guy

OK - it was for tire clearance - took at the tire marks on the underside of the fender scoop  :icon_smile_big:

Aero426

Quote from: Daytona Guy on July 11, 2012, 01:30:24 AM
OK - it was for tire clearance - took at the tire marks on the underside of the fender scoop  :icon_smile_big:

That ain't real.  :yesnod:

Aero426

My recollection is that "bulged fenders" refers to the side of the fender, not the top.    Once they started racing, the fender modifications by teams evolved over time.    The first racing Daytonas in '69 had modest sheet metal modifications.   The later cars in 1970 had fenders drooped and flared by teams as much as they could get away with.      Compare the #6 Baker show car to the existing #71 Isaac car and you will see what I mean.  

hemigeno

Quote from: Daytona Guy on July 11, 2012, 01:03:15 AM

Hemigeno,

When I read that report - I was under the impression that the bulging of the fenders was not referring to the top of the fender, but was referring to the top side of the inner fender for tire clearance as seen in that red Daytona fender (fender scoop) pic in the above post. That is what produced drag - but necessary for turning and the fact that the tires would rub on the "upper side" of the inner fender. Look how far out they bulge or flared the fenders on the side, it seems hard to believe that that tire would then travel and hit the middle of the top fender. If they turned the tire hard L or R (trying to correct a hard drift) and the tire traveled up that high – it could shred the tire. I don't think the geometry allowed for that. Just thinking out loud  :scratchchin:

Dane

I am not sure exactly what the "bulge" inferred, to be honest.  Nice photoshop though...  :lol:

odcics2

To be clear, blunt nosed cars liked the "bulge" on the fender side. This allowed the air to re-attach somewhat to the car.
This was also a rake dependent thing, too!!   And depended on other things like if the grill was laid back. (think Petty 68 black top car)

On the Daytona (and 'Bird) that was not the case. They worked best with smooth areas right above the wheels on the front fenders.
As is the case, the teams still did what they wanted to do!!    Cotton's #6, for example, had a lip around the front wheel opening. Not good!  
The 'penalty" was only 1% more drag for extra tire clearance.

Note that both Chrysler Engineering vehicles, the red #71 mule and DC-93 (aka #88), did not have bulges on the fenders above the front tires.

C5X DAYTONA

IT DOENS'T MATTER WHAT ANYONE DID TO THE VENT.   :nana:   This is about how it got there.    Note.. that the E-Series Charger 500 1/8 car has never been photographed with any hole above the front tire.   Ever.  Nor any real test results.  They never tested a full sized Daytona in a wind tunnel.  So if pointer got 3% out of it.  How did he do that?   As of yet, there is no proof on the 1/8 scale car having holes for extractors in the fender.     The 1/8 scale E-Series is still alive.   I hope to have it examined tomorrow.  I had the E-Series Charger 1/8 scale in my garage for a while.  And I never saw any holes above the tire.  It was the only 1/8 scale car tested to my knowledge or even built to my knowledge.