News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

To HCTUB from poker

Started by 440 Fanatic, January 09, 2009, 02:00:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hctub

I used to be a long distance truck driver and one trip through Indianapolis my brother in law spotted a Charger 500 sitting in a backyard next to the freeway.  We searched for an hour in an 18 wheeler before we found the correct back yard.  The 500 was REALLY RUSTY but while we were talking to the owner a Daytona pulled up.  If I remember right, a radio station had owned it and painted it red, white and blue for some promotion they were doing.  It actually was in pretty good shape (I think) except for the funky paint job.  I can't remember the guys name in Indy but he was into the aero cars big time.  At one time I thought it might have been Galen but I really can't remember.  On my best day I am terrible with names. 

hctub

No I don't have the TA anymore.  I traded it decades ago for a Daytona with a Hemi in it, not an original Hemi car though.  I had a Charger 500 with a 440 in it that was an original Hemi car so I switched the engines.  The TA is one of those cars I really wish I had back.  The TA and Daytonas were my favorites of all the cars I have owned although the 69 Charger RT that Lou Whitfield would come in a very close second to anything.  It was a sweet car.

nascarxx29

Maybe this is that radio station daytona known in this post as the Star Daytona you and your brotherinlaw seen .There was also a radio station superbird in a similar paint job .Romeo from supergo out of Tennesee
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,50760.0.html There are many names of Aero car people in the Indy area .If you recall any name or vins or prior historys on your old car .And want to see there at today .This board has alot of info
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

69bronzeT5

It looks like the same car. :yesnod:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1971 Charger R/T: B5 Blue 440 Automatic
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1970 GTO: 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: 340 Automatic

Troy

The star Daytona belongs to a member here doesn't it. ;)

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

hemigeno

Quote from: Troy on January 11, 2009, 10:52:57 PM
The star Daytona belongs to a member here doesn't it. ;)

Troy

I don't know if Dave H. is a member here or not, but something tells me he will be soon...  And he's already confirmed that the picture hctub posted is of his car - probably when Dave Jones owned it.  Very cool picture, hctub!

hctub

That name sounds familiar.  Did Dave Jones used to own a red Charger 500 with a black vinyl top?  It was a Hemi 4 speed and I think it was owned by Jim Radke at one time.  I happened to be in Indy in the late 70's early 80's on the weekend of the aero cars reunion.  They did the parade lap at one of the local raceways (not the speedway) and I rode to the race in that car since I only had my truck there.  I will post some pics of that reunion tonight.  Seems like there was another national wing car club back then beside the "Winged Warrior".

nascarxx29

The red hemi 500 was Pete haldimans of long Beach Ca .And then Dewayne Liebrants 69 500s dad

hctub

You do know your names and cars, I had forgotten about Pete and it was Liebrant for the guy who gave me the ride.  Was DeWayne the kid back then?  If so was he the one playing behind the grandstands and cut his arm open?

nascarxx29

hemigeno

Quote from: hctub on January 12, 2009, 11:42:32 AM
You do know your names and cars, I had forgotten about Pete and it was Liebrant for the guy who gave me the ride.  Was DeWayne the kid back then?  If so was he the one playing behind the grandstands and cut his arm open?

"The kid" was almost certainly Danny, a/k/a "69_500" on this site.  I'm sure he'll remember that event...

Davtona

Hello Gene, Allen, Danny, Troy and everyone else that I don't know yet.
Well I am the Dave H. that Geno refers to occasionally. I am the guy who currently owns the "Star Daytona". I've enjoyed popping in from time to time to follow the thread on Gene's car, which I have a special interest in. But the picture last night that hctub posted of my car intrigued me and persuaded me I should join. So here I am. Anybody that knows any more information about this car I would sure be interested in talking to. I had not heard about the radio station connection before though. The guy you refer to would have been Dave Jones I'm sure, as he owned the car for a short time. Really liked the picture by the way hctub thanks for posting it.

maxwellwedge

Welcome to the site Davtona...No hissy, bitchy stuff here - just a bunch of dedicated, passionate enthusiasts ....Wait a sec - that was the 1-900 service....whoops! Seriously - there is a good bunch here.

hemigeno

Quote from: Davtona on January 12, 2009, 09:32:59 PM
Hello Gene, Allen, Danny, Troy and everyone else that I don't know yet.
Well I am the Dave H. that Geno refers to occasionally. I am the guy who currently owns the "Star Daytona". I've enjoyed popping in from time to time to follow the thread on Gene's car, which I have a special interest in. But the picture last night that hctub posted of my car intrigued me and persuaded me I should join. So here I am. Anybody that knows any more information about this car I would sure be interested in talking to. I had not heard about the radio station connection before though. The guy you refer to would have been Dave Jones I'm sure, as he owned the car for a short time. Really liked the picture by the way hctub thanks for posting it.

Hey Dave!!!

Glad to see you finally took the plunge and joined up.  You're hardly a new guy to several of us - plus, if I can talk Cathy into letting you hit Carlisle and the 'Nats sometime, you'll meet even more of the gang.

nascarxx29

hemigeno

Dave, wasn't Don H. responsible for painting that wonderful paint scheme on the Star Daytona?  I thought he and his wife still owned it then - which would sorta rule out a radio station connnection (unless one of them worked at a radio station?)   :shruggy:

Davtona

Quote from: hemigeno on January 12, 2009, 10:30:36 PM
Dave, wasn't Don H. responsible for painting that wonderful paint scheme on the Star Daytona?  I thought he and his wife still owned it then - which would sorta rule out a radio station connnection (unless one of them worked at a radio station?)   :shruggy:

Yes Don painted it with that color scheme Gene. But it was still Red White & Blue when Dave Jones had it though also. I am a little puzzled on the radio station thing my self. Possible though. What city was WKRP in?   ;)

hctub

LOL, I have warned you guys about my memory!!!  Who knows where my mind came up with the radio station thing.

Here are a couple of pics of the national meet that year.  You should really have fun with these.  You can definitely pick out Liebrant's 500.  I had forgotten about the hub caps.  Some nice person let me climb up on there motor home to take these pics.  That may be Danny Liebrant just in front of his dad's car.  I have some pics of them doing the parade lap but they are in my missing photo album, hope to find it soon.  Have fun.

tan top

those are awesome pictures ...... vinyl top C500  :drool5: :coolgleamA:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Davtona

Quote from: hemigeno on January 12, 2009, 09:57:09 PM
Quote from: Davtona on January 12, 2009, 09:32:59 PM
Hello Gene, Allen, Danny, Troy and everyone else that I don’t know yet.
Well I am the Dave H. that Geno refers to occasionally. I am the guy who currently owns the “Star Daytona”. I’ve enjoyed popping in from time to time to follow the thread on Gene’s car, which I have a special interest in. But the picture last night that hctub posted of my car intrigued me and persuaded me I should join. So here I am. Anybody that knows any more information about this car I would sure be interested in talking to. I had not heard about the radio station connection before though. The guy you refer to would have been Dave Jones I’m sure, as he owned the car for a short time. Really liked the picture by the way hctub thanks for posting it.

Hey Dave!!!

Glad to see you finally took the plunge and joined up.  You're hardly a new guy to several of us - plus, if I can talk Cathy into letting you hit Carlisle and the 'Nats sometime, you'll meet even more of the gang.

Oh Gene Cathys not the problem with me going. Its me.  If I went once I'd want to go all the time like Monster Mopar. One of these days I'll have a definite reason for going though. If ya know what I mean.

nascarxx29

Good pictures thanks for sharing HCTUB. Also I ran across this Y2 S.E. daytona XX29L9B386543 that shows once as being Colin Youngs daytona .It was also this guys Kevin Spiccis
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25779.0.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,34607.msg378000/topicseen.html#msg378000

hctub

Colin Young was a friend of mine and I bought that Daytona from him.  I was always under the impression it was the same one I had seen earlier in Vegas that belonged to the same guy I had bought a wrecked Superbird from.  If that is is true, it is the one pictured early in this post.  Lou Whitfield rode with me to Washington in my truck and we brought the Daytona back.  It did have a nose on it at that time and I don't remember who had done the work.  I later traded that Daytona to Lou for a 1969 Charger R/T.  A very nice Charger I might add.  Years later I sold the Charger to a guy that lived on an island in Alaska.

Aero426

Isn't that the one that has the rad support with the weird stamping?

hctub

To be honest I don't remember.  Back in those days the cars weren't that expensive so nobody would "fake" one so we didn't have to check all that.  We just made sure the vin matched the pink slip so we could change it to our name at DMV.  If it was the car I saw in Vegas years earlier it had the 68 Charger front end so there must have been some damage to the original front.  I would imagine someone may have put the radiator support in to replace a damaged one.  The numbers were probably re stamped to "verify" the car especially when they became worth so much money. 

There is somebody out there who owns a F8 Charger 500 that would probably be real disappointed if I could remember the serial number of the one I owned.  I had a call years ago where someone had researched the previous owners of the car, came up with my name and called me.  Seems the present owner was passing it off as a 2 owner, numbers matching car.  When I got the car it had a damaged front fender, tweaked inner fender and worst of all a 440 in place of the original Hemi.  I found a 440 Daytona with a Hemi in it, traded for the car, switched engines and then sold the 440 Daytona. 

Just remembered something to help track the 500 down.  I am pretty sure the vin number was right next to the 500 that they used to drag race and they ran it on propane.  Seems like it was called "Propane X" but I may be mistaken on the name.   

hemi68charger

Quote from: hctub on January 14, 2009, 12:13:44 PM
... I later traded that Daytona to Lou for a 1969 Charger R/T.  A very nice Charger I might add..

See everyone !!!!  There are people who would trade a Daytona for a Charger !!!!!!   :boogie:

Oh, hctub, I'm the proverbial guy "trying-to-get-a-Daytona" and using my '68 Hemi Charger R/T as the Willie Wonka Golden Ticket to get it done...........

Nice to see you on the board...................

And yes everyone................ I'm going to ask................... Know anyone ELSE that wants to trade a Daytona for a nice, very nice when done, '68 Hemi Charger R/T?

:icon_smile_big:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection