News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Charger1970's world famous headlight relay upgrade

Started by Ghoste, July 21, 2005, 12:14:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

Something I saved from another site.
I made some drawings for someone and thought I would share them here.

Here's a list of parts I got from waytekwire.co 

part # 75101 --2 ea. Bosch relays (332 019 150)

part #  75280 --2 ea. relay connectors

part # 31073  -- 12 ea. terminals (I got a few extras)

I got the wire, heatshrink and fuse from a local parts store.

Here's what I started with:

I cut the existing wires just forward of the core support.

The new relays go in and a 30 amp fused wire added from the alternator.

Here's how the wires connect to the relays.

Here's the relay pin numbers to match the "connections" drawing.

You could mount the relays anywhere you please.

I mounted mine on a brace between the grille and core support.
I used existing holes so there was no drilling.
This is not the greatest pic but you can see them there.

Full credit for this information and the drawings and parts list must go to Charger1970 on the Dodge Charger.com website.

Ghoste

Oops.  The drawings and pics didn't come through.  I'll fix that and repost.

Bluebeast

1970 Dodge Charger 500 SE 4speed

Ghoste

I think I'll have to convert them to an attachment and post them separately or something.

Charger1970

Thanks Ghoste. I was waiting to see if Troy could pull them off the old site.

I did find the first three pics but can't seem to locate the relay pin drawings.  ???
1970 Charger 500
2015 Challenger SRT

Charger1970

QuoteI cut the existing wires just forward of the core support
1970 Charger 500
2015 Challenger SRT

Charger1970

QuoteThe new relays go in and a 30 amp fused wire added from the alternator
1970 Charger 500
2015 Challenger SRT

Ghoste

I have it, I just have to put it together on a host site and import the images to here.

BigBlackDodge

I saved this one......

BBD

Charge It!

I did this upgrade. What an amazing difference. :2thumbs:

Charger_Fan

Do you need to use a heavy duty relay?
I guess what I'm saying is how many amps do 2 high beam headlights pull?

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Charge It!

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on July 25, 2005, 05:09:56 PM
Do you need to use a heavy duty relay?
I guess what I'm saying is how many amps do 2 high beam headlights pull?

I used 30amp relays

Ghoste

I have to look because somewhere I had mfg and part numbers for applicable relays to do this.

BrianShaughnessy

I was on the waytek site and the lowest quantities of relay connectors I could order was 7 and the lowest number of  terminals was 47  ???    The online ordering is messed up.    Oh well - I got extras  :P
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Wakko

Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

martinihenry

I did this upgrade on my car, and while it really improved the brightness of the lights, there's one safety/drivability thing I'd like to mention. I follwed the upper diagrams, the ones that Charger1970 posted. These diagrams are simple, and easy to understand. I used these as a guide when I did my conversion. However, you'll notice, it only shows 1 fuse. Each relay should have its own separate fuse, as BBD's diagram shows. I recently found out why having only 1 fuse is a bad thing. I lost both high and low beams last weekend due to the vacuum doors rubbing the wiring harness, and causing chaffing of the wires. The wires would then short directly to the chassis ground and pop the fuse. It's not fun, suddenly losing all lights on a dark country road. If I had the dual fuse setup, I would have at least kept my high beams. While troubleshooting, it dawned on me (after I blew about a dozen fuses) that I could have isolated the short a little easier if I knew which circuit (hi, or low) had been shorting out. Just my 2 cents.

This is definitely a MUST upgrade on our cars though.

Jason
1969 Dodge Charger 318 (2 doors only, thank you very much)
1972 Dodge W-200 4X4 "PowerWagon"
...Only Dodge in my garage!

dodgecharger-fan

I definitely want to do this when then time comes.

I'd like to see how some of you did the installation.

Like where you mounted the relays.
Where you ran the extra wire, etc.

Did you try to hide things at all or is it all out in the open?

Ghoste

I know of one person who hid it under the battery tray.

phat69charger

Hi, everyone I don’t know if you all remember or if you ever seen the info that I had posted about relays in response to (Charger1970) post , on the old site here’s some of them again.

Parts info, they have the best prices on relays you‘ll find and most of the parts that you’ll need to do a lot of different electrical upgrades:
http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&Webpage_ID=3&DID=7&CAT_ID=47&ObjectGroup_ID=31&SO=2

You can buy all the hard to find parts for the headlight upgrade for under $10.00, and get the fuses, wire and connectors locally:

Two Bosch relays    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=330-070
Dual relay socket      http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=330-078
Two inline fuse holders   http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=070-675

General information about relays:
http://www.partsexpress.com/resources/relays.html
http://www.partsexpress.com/pdf/500-001.pdf

Click on the relay links below the paragraph on the page below and you’ll see more info than you’ll ever need about relays:
http://www.the12volt.com/relays/relays.asp

In my post I on the old site, I said as a example of what you can do with relays are, if you had six items or anything electrical to turn on in you car, you don’t need a single switch for every thing that you what to turn on, just one off   & on switch and six relays to do the switching for each item, and to add to that if your worried about running 12 volt power wires through your car and starting fires or burning things up, the easy fix is just make your switch in the car the ground wire, and there’s no 12 volt positive wires inside to short or arch on things.

martinihenry

Partsexpress.com is where I bought my relays and harnesses. Make sure you order everything at once, because their shipping prices are a little stiff though.
1969 Dodge Charger 318 (2 doors only, thank you very much)
1972 Dodge W-200 4X4 "PowerWagon"
...Only Dodge in my garage!

71_deputy

Quote from: dodgecharger-fan on August 13, 2005, 07:59:16 PM
I definitely want to do this when then time comes.

I'd like to see how some of you did the installation.

Like where you mounted the relays.
Where you ran the extra wire, etc.

Did you try to hide things at all or is it all out in the open?

Don- bring it up to Collingwood - number 4 will be done!!!!
1971 Deputy Challenger 383 4bbl-- 1 of 2 made!!
1967 Charger 440/auto
1973 Road Runner 340/4 speed
2000 1500 Ram Van

71_deputy

1971 Deputy Challenger 383 4bbl-- 1 of 2 made!!
1967 Charger 440/auto
1973 Road Runner 340/4 speed
2000 1500 Ram Van

Plumcrazy

If someone wants a cheap and plentiful supply of these relays, Chrysler vehicles in the 90's were polluted with them.  They are about 1 inch square cubes.
Under the hood they are in the power distribution center.  The PDC will have a lift off or flip up plastic cover.

Under the dash they are in or near the fuse box.  They are generically refered to as ISO relays.  The terminals are all numbered the same and perform the same function.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

phat69charger

Here's a article about doing the relay upgrade for the headlights on a 69 Jeep wagoneer pretty good info and explains why it should be done, pay attention at the end of the article where it's explained about the voltage drop in the circuit through the factory wiring.
http://www.tworock.com/mjd/jeep/wiring/wiring.html