News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Second resto shop to finish first resto shops work - Primer

Started by CDN72SE, March 14, 2017, 08:32:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CDN72SE

Yes, saw it on tv as well I am going to get them to prep and paint and I will re-assemble at home.
I think they have already wrapped up this season, final episode airs March 23.
1972 Charger SE

hemi-hampton

If you could get it stripped for $2k or less like scaregrabber said then by all means go that way. Sounds like you got $20k into it already, be a shame to see all that thrown away to start over again. LEON.

CDN72SE

Yeah Leon the money is adding up, just waiting to see what the shop says about the condition of the primer that's on the car and whether it is a suitable base, should know tomorrow.
1972 Charger SE

Scaregrabber

Excellent, I like the idea they are going to do a little testing first. Hang in there!

Sheldon

CDN72SE

1972 Charger SE

hemi-hampton

What if the 1st shop did not go out of Business, you were going to let them paint it wern't you? LEON.

CDN72SE

Hi Leon, if the first shop had not gone out of business, yes I was going to let them paint it. I had actually paid for the paint, he asked for the money to buy it.
1972 Charger SE

CDN72SE

Looks like my car has past the primer test and will be loaded on the rotisserie on Monday.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

Alan
1972 Charger SE

birdsandbees

1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

timmycharger

:cheers: Good luck, I am sure it will be flawless when you get it back!!

hemi-hampton

For me, passing a primer adhesion test would be a big concern. But also a big concern would be how well or the quality of the work under the primer. if done poorly you could still run into problems soon down the road regardless of good primer adhesion. Hopefully everything was done properly & if so it should last a long time. Post pics when done. LEON.

Scaregrabber

CDN72SE

Thanks Guys, and you are right Leon. I know they did spend a good deal of time checking the car over. I'm just glad they didn't come back to me and say you know what we highly recommend you strip it all down and start over again; even when not needed.

Will post some pics when I get them.
1972 Charger SE

CDN72SE

1972 Charger SE

superbirdtom

if the body shop immediately put it into epoxy AND kept it indoors the whole time AND this is the most important had the proper line dryer and filtration system to keep out water in the booth air lines then your probably safe.  the worst thing is to two part epoxy a bare metal car and then move it outside thinking it has protection .  I am speaking from 40 years experience seeing cars bubble up down the road from bad airline protection.  of course theirs other things that could cause failure but bubbling from moisture in air lines is the worst as it goes right down to the bare metal.

CDN72SE

You know what Tom I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't have it outside for a period of time, who knows what they were up to. There were even speckles of undercoating or some similar material sprinkled all over the car. I tried my best to keep on top of things but sometimes life gets in the way. Just keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks for your insight.
1972 Charger SE

superbirdtom

At least its in a warm dry shop now and blocking it out will release trapped moisture if there is any   I think youll be ok as most shops when you had your work done did have pretty good line filtration systems. nice car one of my favorites im sure its going to be great looking and fun to drive!

CDN72SE

Thanks for your positive comments superbirdtom, much appreciated.
1972 Charger SE