News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Ted Stephens Daytona Wreck Under the Knife

Started by Aero426, May 18, 2016, 04:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daytona Guy

Quote from: rainbow4jd on January 05, 2017, 05:34:37 PM
I'm in the auto business.   A vehicle is legally defined by its paperwork - not the metal.   You got the tag and title - you can replace it all.   

Heck Ford even licenses new 66-67 Mustang shells - all you need is an original vin and title.

I think the hobbyists are finally catching up to reality.   If the car is well restored - its still a well restored Daytona.  $150,000 is a fair price.

Well said

Dane

alfaitalia

Quote from: rainbow4jd on January 06, 2017, 12:46:22 AM
Quote from: 69hemidaytona on January 06, 2017, 12:17:29 AM
Quote from: 500Jon on January 05, 2017, 02:36:56 PM
In my eyes a true restoration is done 'ONE PIECE at a TIME'... :pity:
Remove a piece of rust and replace it with a new piece of metal.
When you build a whole floorpan with rails and fit an A and B post to it, thats not a resto?

And on a different note, I like many others worked in the Motor-trade.
We did many rebodies as a daily job!
The police never came down and arrested any-body (ban pun).
Its totally acceptable at a MAIN DEALER aotobody shop...

Whats all the fuss about??? :slap: :slap:
Original 50 year old tin is more acceptable in a rare Mopar than an AMD re-creation... :eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

We Brits have been rebodying MG's and Austins for many many years!
If we didn't, there would be NO Bristish cars left lol... :brickwall:
If I restore an old painting by replacing 95% of the original canvas is it still a valuable old painting?

Sure - to whomever wants to buy it!   The onlookers opinions don't count.

Actually, your analogy is a really good one (although I think you were being sarcastic)  - because even a 99% restored painting will still reflect the artist's original vision.   That's why restoring any LEGAL car (vin and title) is still capturing the essence of the artist's creation.      Think about it like this - If you've repainted a car - why doesn't that kill all the value?   You covered up all that originality!   The reason it doesn't kill the value is because the value is in the artistry (not just the metal and paint).   

True...but it would still be worth way more if it had the original paint and steel (undamaged and near perfect as possible). I think new paint takes away some of the soul of these cars..especially when it's done so perfect. I think some people have never seen 60s Dodge paint....it was generally very poor (especially compared to paint on UK cars of the time).......they left the factory with runs sags and fish eyes a plenty. Take that away and some of its personality is gone for ever. I need to paint mine to lose the lovely rust finish..lol....but I certainly would not do a full resist t if it was even 80% complete. An no...I won't be leaving paint runs!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

rainbow4jd

Quote from: alfaitalia on January 06, 2017, 03:26:07 AM
Quote from: rainbow4jd on January 06, 2017, 12:46:22 AM
Quote from: 69hemidaytona on January 06, 2017, 12:17:29 AM
Quote from: 500Jon on January 05, 2017, 02:36:56 PM
In my eyes a true restoration is done 'ONE PIECE at a TIME'... :pity:
Remove a piece of rust and replace it with a new piece of metal.
When you build a whole floorpan with rails and fit an A and B post to it, thats not a resto?

And on a different note, I like many others worked in the Motor-trade.
We did many rebodies as a daily job!
The police never came down and arrested any-body (ban pun).
Its totally acceptable at a MAIN DEALER aotobody shop...

Whats all the fuss about??? :slap: :slap:
Original 50 year old tin is more acceptable in a rare Mopar than an AMD re-creation... :eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

We Brits have been rebodying MG's and Austins for many many years!
If we didn't, there would be NO Bristish cars left lol... :brickwall:
If I restore an old painting by replacing 95% of the original canvas is it still a valuable old painting?

Sure - to whomever wants to buy it!   The onlookers opinions don't count.

Actually, your analogy is a really good one (although I think you were being sarcastic)  - because even a 99% restored painting will still reflect the artist's original vision.   That's why restoring any LEGAL car (vin and title) is still capturing the essence of the artist's creation.      Think about it like this - If you've repainted a car - why doesn't that kill all the value?   You covered up all that originality!   The reason it doesn't kill the value is because the value is in the artistry (not just the metal and paint).   

True...but it would still be worth way more if it had the original paint and steel (undamaged and near perfect as possible). I think new paint takes away some of the soul of these cars..especially when it's done so perfect. I think some people have never seen 60s Dodge paint....it was generally very poor (especially compared to paint on UK cars of the time).......they left the factory with runs sags and fish eyes a plenty. Take that away and some of its personality is gone for ever. I need to paint mine to lose the lovely rust finish..lol....but I certainly would not do a full resist t if it was even 80% complete. An no...I won't be leaving paint runs!

Sure - an unrestored Mona Lisa would be a true find.  (Although you can argue that the Mona Lisa is a rebody, since it was actually painted OVER another painting  - ha ha).     

But you've hit on something - the multiple levels of opinions that exist in the hobby world.

A) Original or nothing is most valuable.   "My car still has the original air in the tires and the light beams in the headlights - mine is most valuable!!!!!   I'm hating on everybody else!   It doesn't matter if the car looks worn out and tired - because there isn't really any perfect OLD cars out there for me to compete with.  Hater gonna hate on you if you disagree!"

B) Restoration but only a little bit.   "Well, I painted it - but I painted it really crappy the way it came from the factory.  I'm a hater, but not as much as the nut job above."

C) Restoration and I don't care.   "Look I'm not driving 70 mph with a Polyglas GT tires! AND I'm not paying $6,000 for NOS decals.  AND I'm not putting 50 year old gas in the engine!  It's good enough and correct enough and most of all I am happy!   My car looks good, I drive it and it gets lots of attention!   Don't rain on my parade hater because your opinion doesn't matter to me!"

D) Restoration for the profits!    "I'm restoring the car to be a true trailer queen because the collectors want it that way - while the hobbyists usually want "drivers" and can't afford to buy at the collector level.   Love my car - used to be a hobbyist, but now it's about the money decision.   A better than original restoration is the way to go - cause that's where the cash is"

Personally, I was a C and now that I am getting ready to retire I've become a D - it doesn't bother me AT ALL that some "collector" will end up with my car, it will never be driven, and it will likely be hidden away.   I'll be sad all the way to the bank and then I'll buy a resto-mod clone and drive it every day.   

By the way...   If you want to talk "original intent" - these cars were intended to be driven into the ground and rot away in a junk yard so people would buy new cars.  (Can I get a witness?  Amen!)   But an old car nut has essentially voided the original intent clause by hanging onto or worse yet restoring these cars.  So, if you're going to violate the original intent - you might as well have a beauty queen instead of a barn find. 

Just my opinion of course.

rainbow4jd

Quote from: Daytona Guy on January 06, 2017, 02:10:44 AM
Quote from: rainbow4jd on January 05, 2017, 05:34:37 PM
I'm in the auto business.   A vehicle is legally defined by its paperwork - not the metal.   You got the tag and title - you can replace it all.   

Heck Ford even licenses new 66-67 Mustang shells - all you need is an original vin and title.

I think the hobbyists are finally catching up to reality.   If the car is well restored - its still a well restored Daytona.  $150,000 is a fair price.

Well said

Dane

Thanks - by the way - I absolutely LOVE your Daytona.  Just gorgeous.   I may clone it someday.

alfaitalia

Well rainbow4jd...I would consider myself a C mainly on your scale. Resto mod to make it a high days and holidays driver.
D in the UK would be very difficult and probably double the price to get there that it would be in the USA.
As a real petrol head nothing makes me sadder than the trailer queens....no longer a car...just a work or art to look at or driven 50 miles a year. I bet the designers of the car would be disappointed too, to not see their cars driven as they were designed to be. It's a car first.....display piece last imo.

odcics2

Bottom line: Wing cars were built for racing.    :coolgleamA:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: odcics2 on January 08, 2017, 12:11:39 PM
Bottom line: Wing cars were built for racing.    :coolgleamA:

They were a tool to do a job,nothing more.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

rainbow4jd

Quote from: alfaitalia on January 07, 2017, 03:13:09 AM
Well rainbow4jd...I would consider myself a C mainly on your scale. Resto mod to make it a high days and holidays driver.
D in the UK would be very difficult and probably double the price to get there that it would be in the USA.
As a real petrol head nothing makes me sadder than the trailer queens....no longer a car...just a work or art to look at or driven 50 miles a year. I bet the designers of the car would be disappointed too, to not see their cars driven as they were designed to be. It's a car first.....display piece last imo.

I can appreciate the money dilemma.   

My car was restored to a C level initially.   I drove it (but not as much as I would like) but ultimately it just became too valuable for me to drive (meaning I don't have the personal skill nor money to fix it if someone wrecked it).    So, with age and savings and selling my daily driver 440-6 Cuda - I reached a point where I could do a 15 year restoration.  Meaning a little bit at a time - but at a D level quality.    My goal is to cash out and buy a daily driver or build a clone daily driver. 

Being someone what sarcastic - yes, these cars were MEANT to be driven, just as a 10Karat diamond ring was meant to be worn.  But... in today's world, if you walk out of your house where a 10K diamond ring - you are an idiot.      Once the cars acquired "collector status" their original intent is long gone.   At that point - for me - you have to look at them through the eyes of an investor and not a "Car Guy".      My Superbird is now an investment (and I don't apologize for that - nor do any negative comments about that strategy bother me at all).   But - as soon as it sells - I am going to get me a daily driver (actually I want my 6 pack Cuda back) but I might also go for something more modern.

Peace out and as long as YOU are enjoying your car - no one else's actions or opinions are worth a rat's patootie!  I'm enjoying mine!

RCCDrew

Quote from: rainbow4jd on January 09, 2017, 03:25:45 PM

Being someone what sarcastic - yes, these cars were MEANT to be driven, just as a 10Karat diamond ring was meant to be worn.  But... in today's world, if you walk out of your house where a 10K diamond ring - you are an idiot. 

Then why have the ring??? I don't understand your reasoning at all. I don't worry about my cars. Cars are for driving. That's what having great insurance is for.

rainbow4jd

Quote from: RCCDrew on January 09, 2017, 06:10:28 PM
Quote from: rainbow4jd on January 09, 2017, 03:25:45 PM

Being someone what sarcastic - yes, these cars were MEANT to be driven, just as a 10Karat diamond ring was meant to be worn.  But... in today's world, if you walk out of your house where a 10K diamond ring - you are an idiot. 

Then why have the ring??? I don't understand your reasoning at all. I don't worry about my cars. Cars are for driving. That's what having great insurance is for.

I originally bought my Superbird to drive.  At $2500 it wasn't a big deal.   But, it's become an investment - so I treat it like an investment.   The reason I have it (and the reason for owning the ring) - is for investment purposes.   So, only if the investment was not at risk do you bring it out.   

I saw a guy rear end another car as he was rubber necking at my car (as I pulled away from a stop light).  I drive a 1000 miles a week.  I see people looking at the accident on the other side of the road, and almost cause an accident themselves.  I see teenagers texting and driving.  If my car was still worth $2500, I would be happy to drive it in that environment.   As an investment, it's worth somewhere between $100 and $200,000.  You treat investments different than you do hobbies - or at least I do.

Here's maybe a better example...  I own a couple of pretty valuable baseball cards also - I don't put them in bicycle spokes.  Even if that's what was intended for them.    ;D

Incidentally, after I cash out on my Superbird, I'll be looking for a daily driver then.   Who knows - if you've got something you're not driving like it should be driven - I might be your guy.

rob-dirt

:2thumbs: i may get to see the car this weekend  :2thumbs:  Rumor has it it going to be on a display.  :popcrn: if so i will get some pick,s 

200MPH

Charger

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

rob-dirt

:'(  Oh Tan Top i need some help my phone pick,s are to big can i send them to you  ::) Pm Me Please

tan top

Quote from: rob-dirt on January 23, 2017, 01:03:06 PM
:'(  Oh Tan Top i need some help my phone pick,s are to big can i send them to you  ::) Pm Me Please

you called  ;D  , sent you a pm  :yesnod:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

tan top

:2thumbs: :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

held1823

i'm part of the unpopular minority, but the car sitting there is not the car pictured on the display board.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

hemi-hampton

Quote from: held1823 on January 23, 2017, 09:44:11 PM
i'm part of the unpopular minority, but the car sitting there is not the car pictured on the display board.

5% of it is. And maybe the VIN #'s. I'd like to see in person the gaps on this & what they had to do to make the gaps look good if anything? LEON.

Aero426

I am in agreement with this opinion. 

The "restored" car certainly holds the identity of the original.   That is about where it stops.   

Davtona

Quote from: Aero426 on January 23, 2017, 10:37:29 PM

I am in agreement with this opinion. 

The "restored" car certainly holds the identity of the original.   That is about where it stops.   

:iagree:

RCCDrew

Was this a factory red car, or black? I'm glad they brought another one back.
My Cuda has new quarters, floors, trunk, drivetrain, interior, etc. I guess mine is not the same car either.

alfaitalia

I agree 100%.....might as well have built a brand new car from scratch!! Just like my broom I've had for twenty years....only ever had two new heads and three new handles....same broom though!!

crj1968

Quote from: alfaitalia on January 24, 2017, 08:22:54 AM

I agree 100%.....might as well have built a brand new car from scratch!! Just like my broom I've had for twenty years....only ever had two new heads and three new handles....same broom though!!

That is basically what they did....

Grandfather's axe, replaced the head and the handle...still grandfathers axe.   :icon_smile_big:

Like RCCDrew said- I too am glad they brought it back. It's amazing what people are able to resurrect these days. It's all about the VIN. 

qwick68

68 Charger LL-1 Turquoise

Ryan.C

There are few problems in life that cannot be solved with C-4.