News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

'68 Charger Value

Started by ViperDave, December 18, 2006, 12:56:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

41husk

Quote from: 69-DodgeCharger on December 20, 2006, 07:30:37 AM
damn i know of a 69 charger with a 318 that runs and is in ok condition that im gonna get for 3500 to 4000, it has 40K miles or some odd number in there, cant wait ill need to throw some pics up when i get it
Me too.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Bevs 68

Looks like paint code 331, unlike mine it has a red interior. Interesting. I just turned down $40K, however my car does have a bigger engine and a Hurst 4-speed. IMO, keep it original. You can't go wrong in the long run. Nice car. Enjoy it.
Bev

Proud to be a Mopar Momma!

bookedbydano

This is how I look at it.  If you are going to show the car and not drive very often I would leave it original.  If you are going to drive it and enjoy it I would do anything you want to do.  These cars are not all about how original it is and how much it is worth for some people anyway.  Do what you want with it.  It is your car and make it a part of you.  There are a lot of clones that are way nicer than a complete original and are mechanically a whole lot better and reliable.  Good luck!!!!

charge-it

I bought my 68 318 Charger a little over a year ago. I paid 9,500.00 for it and some people said I paid too much.  Fast foward a year later. I haven`t done a thing to it yet and I`ve been offered 15K cash as it sits. Now I`m reading this and seeing 18-22K would be a good deal for a 318 car. Well, mine is not for sale at any price. I`m going to take a real nice 318 car and build a bullitt clown car. Yes, another R/T clown. It`s my car and I`m going to do whatever I want to it and don`t care what anyone thinks. The Majority of the real R/T`s I looked at when I was searching for a 68 or 70 Charger were either way to rusted, had the life beaten out of them, or were way too expensive. In all of my years in this hobby, the 318 cars seem to have lead the best life. So now I have a Charger that I`m going to build my way and then beat the living daylights out of it if I feel like it. Why? Because I can. I say buy the car, enjoy it, and do whatever you feel like doing to it. Life is short, so enjoy it to the fullest.
Visit our new website:

http://www.pepsparts.com

bookedbydano

41husk

Quote from: charge-it on December 22, 2006, 10:28:39 AM
I bought my 68 318 Charger a little over a year ago. I paid 9,500.00 for it and some people said I paid too much.  Fast foward a year later. I haven`t done a thing to it yet and I`ve been offered 15K cash as it sits. Now I`m reading this and seeing 18-22K would be a good deal for a 318 car. Well, mine is not for sale at any price. I`m going to take a real nice 318 car and build a bullitt clown car. Yes, another R/T clown. It`s my car and I`m going to do whatever I want to it and don`t care what anyone thinks. The Majority of the real R/T`s I looked at when I was searching for a 68 or 70 Charger were either way to rusted, had the life beaten out of them, or were way too expensive. In all of my years in this hobby, the 318 cars seem to have lead the best life. So now I have a Charger that I`m going to build my way and then beat the living daylights out of it if I feel like it. Why? Because I can. I say buy the car, enjoy it, and do whatever you feel like doing to it. Life is short, so enjoy it to the fullest.
Good for you!!!
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

68charger440R/T

THAT'S MY CAR!!!!!!! I guess i bought it from ViperDave last christmas! I cant belive i came across this, thanks for the car i enjoy it very much.
1 of 33,514

69charger2002

well that's pretty cool. so how far off were we on our guesses. what did she finally sell for?
welcome to the site BTW  :cheers:
Trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

MRCHARGER

As the owner of a formerly green/green/green 68 318, if you do an "R/T replica" correctly you will get just as much respect and satisfaction out of it as the factory R/T owners. You will not get the same dollar amount if you sell it, but if that's what you are into it for than you shouldn't be hanging around this website. The value of a Charger goes far beyond $'s with this crowd.

If I had a factory R/T  in perfect shape I would not be inclined to drive it to the local cruise night's or blast down the track with my 10" Hoosier's on the back. The general public does not understand or appreciate the significance of an L or J code car, they just see the Charger name plate and think "cool". Nobody is interested in a 68 318  Charger unless it is reference quality/perfect survivor or unique like this red/red/white combo. But even still, 2nd gen Chargers  have a strong reputation for performance despite that 1/2 of the 96,000 of them were not big block cars. If you go out on Woodward Avenue in this day and age, which I do, in a 68 Charger, it better have something under the hood and not the same thing in my 98 ram van (5.2 liter). I'm not saying that all of the Chargers in the world should be converted to nasty 383's, 440's, or Hemi's... no.... wait.... that's a great idea. I'm just saying.

With my car I feel like I've made something special out of something mundane. It's your car man build it how you want, just be careful not to mess up something that's already special or significant.

68charger383

I'm like everyone else on here that thinks this car is very cool and shouldn't be touched. However, I'd say $15K for the car. I've seen a lot of pretty nice 383 cars selling for under $20K and quite a few R/Ts selling for under $30K.

The car is just like a 1969 Mach 1 with a 302 or a 1966 chevelle with a 283. These cars usually sell for about 1/2 of the similar big block versions.
1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

Darkman

A car (or even a house for that matter) is only "worth" what someone is willing to pay for it.
Make it idiot proof, and somebody will make a better idiot!

If you think Education is difficult, try being stupid!

Bob T

Quote from: 68charger440R/T on March 28, 2010, 08:56:39 PM
THAT'S MY CAR!!!!!!! I guess i bought it from ViperDave last christmas! I cant belive i came across this, thanks for the car i enjoy it very much.

Howdy, good old ride it looks like too. Funny enough, mines the same 318, buddy seat RR1 with 78miles on.
I drive it every chance I get and am still happy with the fuel mileage after owning 2 sixpack cars. Sure it could do with a repaint and BB but we get the family fun miles in and thats important to us. Maybe a stripe this winter and see what happens after that.

In dollar terms I paid around 28 US (at 0.707 exchange rate )for it after it had been here for 1 1/2 years but to quantify it, the body is straight and good, it runs fine and is a long distance car and there are not that many 68's down here ( New Zealand ) so when the opportunity came up, I made it fit. The Chap who imported ( nice guy actually too ) it in probably paid around the 15-18 mark US for it ( fair enough, thats what they cost ) and then had to get it road legal here which was around the 5-6k mark. I dont know I've never asked him, thats his business.

So, I would think for my  :Twocents: probaly the above car is around the 15-20k value, buyer demand, hard to get a good one and its easy to spend way more on panel & paint than the differance in purchase price for a clean bodied car

I like em all but prefer the 68's and yeah , not intending to sell it  :coolgleamA:

Cheers Bob
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

modmidget

That car does look a lot like mine.  It appears to be the same color but I have Magnum 500 wheels on mine and we have a white interior.

I'd guess the value of yours (and mine) would be somewhere between 18k and 22k but I restored mine myself and wouldn't take 50k for it.  I will never sell it.

375instroke

Quote from: Darkman on March 29, 2010, 01:59:17 AM
A car (or even a house for that matter) is only "worth" what someone is willing to pay for it.
This statement, I think, is of no help and way overused.  How about this?  How much are people willing to pay for it?  I think that's what we want to know.

68charger440R/T

Well i paid $14,000 for it and i couldn't be happier, im going put a 440 in it in the near future but i just don't have the $$ right now because im only 17 with no job lol.
1 of 33,514

moparstuart

you need to leave that car original and find a different car to butcher up
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

68charger440R/T

ya i was also thinking about just putting a 4 barrel carb,headers,exhaust and maybe a 3:55 :scratchchin:
1 of 33,514

twodko

Absolutely, positively, most definitely what moparstuart said!!!!!
That is a beautiful, fairly rare car.....buy it, keep it, love it.

Tom
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

BubBABFP

Quote from: 68charger440R/T on March 29, 2010, 01:49:18 PM
ya i was also thinking about just putting a 4 barrel carb,headers,exhaust and maybe a 3:55 :scratchchin:

You have the same color combo as my 68 it has a 318 too. and im 24 =)

68charger440R/T

Quote from: BubBABFP on March 29, 2010, 02:30:11 PM
Quote from: 68charger440R/T on March 29, 2010, 01:49:18 PM

You have the same color combo as my 68 it has a 318 too. and im 24 =)
nice do you have any pics?
1 of 33,514

Brock Samson

couple things:
This old post was made by ViperDave before the Muscle Car market contracted.
seat covers are not correct 'n maybe coronets...  :shruggy:
sure would like to see the numbers from the fender tag - decoded..
do I see a reverb switch on the dash?..
and, some more detailed pics of the car especially the engine compartment with emphasis on the firewall.
A great deal for a first car at your age and a good price I'd say...
I note the polarization of opinions about to clone or not to clone...
...I'm not gonna have a hard and fast opinion myself, but I acknowledge both trains of thought and their validity.

awaiting pics....  :popcrn:

68charger440R/T

ok im about to go take some more pics of detail.
1 of 33,514

1BAD68

Man thats a nice car for a 17 year old!
When I was 17 I was driving a 1972 Comet that I paid 200 bucks for, I had to wait until I was 32 to get a Charger.
Enjoy
:2thumbs:

694spdRT

I drove a red '68 when I was 17 too. Unfortunately, that was 20 years ago.  :P

BTW: Nice car and I think it looks great just the way it is.  :2thumbs:
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

modmidget

I drove a light yellow '68 Charger with a black top and black interior when I was 23.  The year was 1968 and it was my brand new Charger.  I'm only 64 now..........   :shruggy: