News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1970Moparmann's Superbird - Continuous questions.....

Started by 1970Moparmann, November 27, 2012, 10:50:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1970Moparmann

Honestly, I'm still in shock about this.

I've been a Mopar nut job since I got my first Charger.  My first encounter with a Wing car was at my first Mopar Nationals show was I was around 18/19.   My brother-in-law and I went and he had to drag me from the entrance where there were a bunch of Superbirds and Daytona's lined up.  I'm still trying to find the photo of me with the cars from the show. :brickwall:

Since I laid eyes on a Wing car, I always thought this is the holy grail of Mopars in my book.  Don't get me wrong, I love and appreciate most Mopars, but for me, a Bird or Daytona is the top.   Since my first Mopar Nationals, I always kept track of them with hopes on day I will get the pleasure to own one.  The closest I came was around 1997 when there was a white Bird in Minneapolis that was in a higher range of a budget.  At this time, I just couldn't come up with the extra cash to get it.   I kept with my Charger and was happy.  :2thumbs:

As years went on, I kept looking, but in early 2000's the prices just went higher and higher and higher.  I had to come to realization that I would never own one of these awesome cars.  In the last 10 years life continued and I was able to find some cool cars which I own today.  My 68 Charger was a hell of a learning experience and was the first Mopar I owned that I have so much sweat equity in.  My Coronet was purchased to "flip" after some work, but the wife loves it and this is "her car".

Since the Wing market has been down for a while,  4 months ago, I left a few PM's for some members here, and talked to some Mopar friends, asking if they ever come across a Wing car that needs some work, I would be very interested and to keep me in mind.   In the last 2 months, I looked at and got information on some C500's, a Daytona, and a few Birds.  As much as I knew I would have to sell my 70 Charger RT, I probably would have to sell my 68 Charger also.  As you know, it's hard enough to sell one car fast with getting a fair price, and add another one is nearly impossible.   As much as I appreciate the C500's, I knew I still wouldn't be completely satisfied based on my dream of getting a Wing car.   The Wing cars I looked at would force me to sell both Chargers, and honestly, I don't think I can ever be Chargerless!  I've owned a Charger for 25 years!!!  :2thumbs:

Well, Rex, a member here found a Bird that was "restored" in 1984 / 1985 and starting to show it's age.  He decided to sell this Bird and another car to get a Bird that didn't need to be restored.   Rex and I have been in contact for close to a month, and the deal was done yesterday!  :cheers: :cheers:

REX, THANK YOU FOR BEING PATIENT WITH ME AND NOT SELLING TO THE DEALER - YOU HONESTLY MADE MY CAR DREAM COME TRUE!!!  I TRULY APPRECIATE IT. :2thumbs:  I'm looking forward to seeing you at the meets!

When Rex opened his trailer yesterday, I actually started to shake...  I'm still thinking I'm having a dream and when I wake up the car won't be in the garage.

I appreciate all the help that people on the board have provided me and want to thank you even more for all the questions I'm going to have while I start going through the car. :2thumbs:  

Here is the information on the car-

-Michigan car
-440 6 pack 4 speed!
-Originally yellow
-Owned by Kirk Brinks from Grand Rapids from 1984 until this past August
-VIN - RM23VOA172646
-Car is missing the original engine, which was in the owners possession in the 90's and the build sheet.  

If anyone knows anything about this car, PLEASE let me know.  Rex is going to provide me the friend of the family contact information to see if I can get more information.

Here are some pictures-

Still can't believe I have a Bird in the garage! :2thumbs:

Sin
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

rob-dirt

Congratulations on your purchase   :2thumbs: Drive it and enjoy   :2thumbs:

Aero426

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on November 27, 2012, 10:50:14 PM

Still can't believe I have a Bird in the garage! :2thumbs:

It will take a while to sink in.   But it is a good feeling to know.    Congrats!

Patronus

How many trips out to the garage have you taken tonight?
Congrats, and the end to a long wait.
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

skip68

skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

1970Moparmann

Quote from: Patronus on November 27, 2012, 11:29:13 PM

Freak'in hilarious!  Just came from the garage!!!  :2thumbs:

Thanks all.......... :cheers:

JB400

Glad to hear you got your dream car.  Enjoy the ride of a lifetime :2thumbs:

Bob T

Thats a tough one to pull off 1970MM, well done , very pleased for you  :2thumbs:
I'd just about throw my eye teeth in the deal to make it stick too  :lol:

More pics then  :yesnod:
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

tan top

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on November 28, 2012, 12:03:44 AM
Quote from: Patronus on November 27, 2012, 11:29:13 PM

Freak'in hilarious!  Just came from the garage!!!  :2thumbs:

Thanks all.......... :cheers:

:o   wow  :dance:  ,   love to see more pictures & stuff  :yesnod: :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

FJ5WING

wingless now, but still around.

Ghoste

Wow, that is a great story, congratulations!

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

hemi68charger

Congrad's !!!!  Now, you are the newest AB !!!!  Aero-Bastard.....  :icon_smile_big:

I used to go back and forth to my garage to see it, leave the garage door open so I could see the wing from the kitchen window..... It's a completely different visual experience.....

Well done, she is much cleaner than I envisioned from your texts to me........ Again, well done...... I'm glad you didn't trade me your '70 for my '69.. Both our paths were meant for different destinations and we all now see where yours was intented..  :2thumbs:

Oh yeah, time to change your avatar picture............. But like me, you're probably used to your username.... At least it is universal since both the Charger and 'Bird are '70's..........
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

1970Moparmann

Thanks guys.   

The car is from the Midwest, thus it has the Midwest factors to it.   The car can definitely be enjoyed while working on it.  The MI owner had some fun with the wiring because it is a mess.   Will get new wiring harnesses as my first project.

First question for the car -  Is a Wing car wiring harness the same as a Charger / Roadrunner?

70Sbird

Congrats!
Looks like a great car, welcome to the world of wings!

Scott Faulkner

hemi68charger

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on November 28, 2012, 08:52:52 AM
...First question for the car -  Is a Wing car wiring harness the same as a Charger / Roadrunner?

Depends on what you're talking about ( which area ). If you have an original-good harness from another '70 Charger/RoadRunnner, you may be able to use this to repair the original-messed-up harness. Now, the headlamp switch of the Bird is going to be like the '68-'69 Charger in the sense it has the vacuum ports and hoses. The '70 model year was all electric. The '70 front end harness would have the side mark lights incorporated along with the front turn signal plugs. Are all the harness hoses or just the engine harness? The engine harness should be the same as any other '70 B-body (except you now have a 6bbl application and hence the coil wires are going to be in a slightly different location possibly and you'll have the additional plug for the idle solenoid).

Have you ever owned a 6bbl before? If not, welcome to another world of difference, especially with that 4-speed behind it..  :icon_smile_big:
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

Dave Kanofsky

CONGRAT'S MIKE!  The car looks fantastic, I can't wait to see it in person.

It is great to see good things happen to good people.

As for the wiring harness...Bill Evans is the guy to get them from in my experience:
http://www.evanswiring.com/

WING IT!
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

hemi68charger

Quote from: Dave Kanofsky on November 28, 2012, 09:27:27 AM
CONGRAT'S MIKE!  The car looks fantastic, I can't wait to see it in person.

It is great to see good things happen to good people.

As for the wiring harness...Bill Evans is the guy to get them from in my experience:
http://www.evanswiring.com/

WING IT!

One thing I've experience problems would be the engine harnesses with the electronic conversion kit. I had two different friend have problems with them. I would get evan's OEM engine harness and then convert to a Pertronix Ignitor II system with modifications to the ballast resistor (taking out the coil resistor and replacing with appropriate guage straight wire for a 12v in, 12v out feed.)

By the way Mike, I don't think I've ever seen pics of your '68, that's a cool looking car...
Troy

nascarxx29

I show RM23VOA172646 as FY1  D Whitsel Detriot
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

RIDELIKEHELL

Awesome thread Mike! Congrats again
AMD POSTER BOY

1968 CHARGER R/T  http://www.youtube.com/user/ridelikehell73

nascarxx29

If a 70 Charger harness is all you had it will work .The 2 wire motor plug out by the bulkhead leave in the car taped up.The other relay wires are  behind left corner of dash tape them up

nascarxx29

Dave Kanofsky

Quote from: hemi68charger on November 28, 2012, 09:55:57 AM
Quote from: Dave Kanofsky on November 28, 2012, 09:27:27 AM
I would get evan's OEM engine harness and then convert to a Pertronix Ignitor II system with modifications to the ballast resistor (taking out the coil resistor and replacing with appropriate guage straight wire for a 12v in, 12v out feed.)

X2!  this is what I'm running in my Daytona
:2thumbs: :2thumbs:
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

Mytur Binsdirti

hemi68charger

Mike, just noticed those nice pretty tires............................................................................  Nuff said................................................  Get some nice Goodyear Radials........  I had those on my Daytona. Granted, they look great, but ride horrible... Just food for thought, you don't have to order from the menu...

:icon_smile_big:
Troy